Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 251

Thread: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

  1. #1
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    During a Saturday debate among the Republican presidential candidates in South Carolina, businessman Herman Cain and U.S. congresswoman Michele Bachmann backed the use of waterboarding."They're wrong. Waterboarding is torture," Obama said. "Anybody who has actually read about and understands the practice of waterboarding would say that that is torture. And that's not something we do -- period."The United States used waterboarding on some foreign terrorism suspects under former President George W. Bush, a Republican. During the Republican debate, congressman Ron Paul and former U.S. ambassador to China Jon Huntsman opposed waterboarding as torture.



    Read full article here: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama - CSMonitor.com
    Is this a campaign stunt to gain support? Yes. Do i agree with what he has to say about water boarding? Absolutely. I also believe it is torture..

    Thoughts?
    Comments?
    Response?




  2. #2
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    how in the world is Obama saying that waterboarding is torture breaking news?

  3. #3
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    Let's see if he tries to put a stop to it... I hope so, but I doubt it.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    02-23-12 @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    791

    Re: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Let's see if he tries to put a stop to it... I hope so, but I doubt it.
    Obama banned waterboarding. It was one of the first things he did as President. However, that did stop his inhuman and unconstitutional treatment of Bradley Manning.

    Anyways, this is "Breaking News" since Bachmann is attacking Obama for banning waterboarding. Obama didn't just come out and say this.
    Bachmann: Waterboarding is justified, like nuking Japan | The Raw Story

  5. #5
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

    Read full article here: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama - CSMonitor.com
    Is this a campaign stunt to gain support? Yes. Do i agree with what he has to say about water boarding? Absolutely. I also believe it is torture..

    Thoughts?
    Comments?
    Response?


    [/LEFT]
    Waterboarding is not torture. It is a technique that I don't think the military should use on combatants who fall under US law or the Geneva conventions. However, the Geneva Conventions do not apply to non-uniformed enemy combatants except in the case where they are members of a peaceful nation/organization that has been quickly invaded and they have not had a chance to form an army/militia with rank and identifying uniform. That is not the case with Al Qaida. Human decency is what guides our treatment of captured terrorists, not any laws or conventions. And I do not believe that pouring water on an illegal terrorist's face in order to save thousands of innocent lives is beyond the scope of American human decency. It certainly is not beyond precedent. In WWII we would hang non-uniformed enemy combatants with nothing more than a military trial.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    how in the world is Obama saying that waterboarding is torture breaking news?
    I do believe this is old news. Do you think Cain heard it?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Waterboarding is not torture. It is a technique that I don't think the military should use on combatants who fall under US law or the Geneva conventions. However, the Geneva Conventions do not apply to non-uniformed enemy combatants except in the case where they are members of a peaceful nation/organization that has been quickly invaded and they have not had a chance to form an army/militia with rank and identifying uniform. That is not the case with Al Qaida. Human decency is what guides our treatment of captured terrorists, not any laws or conventions. And I do not believe that pouring water on an illegal terrorist's face in order to save thousands of innocent lives is beyond the scope of American human decency. It certainly is not beyond precedent. In WWII we would hang non-uniformed enemy combatants with nothing more than a military trial.
    No,it's torture. You also set up a false dilema. There is really no ticking bomb senario that is likley, and torture is unlikely to be effective. If you reall do need information, it would be beter to use tactics that actually work.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

    Read full article here: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama - CSMonitor.com
    Is this a campaign stunt to gain support? Yes. Do i agree with what he has to say about water boarding? Absolutely. I also believe it is torture..

    Thoughts?
    Comments?
    Response?


    [/LEFT]

    Has Obama issued an Executive Order stopping the use of waterboarding on our own troops during SERE training?

    If not, why not? Surely we don't torture our own soldiers?


    (/irony)

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #9
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Has Obama issued an Executive Order stopping the use of waterboarding on our own troops during SERE training?

    If not, why not? Surely we don't torture our own soldiers?


    (/irony)
    Quit pretending those are the same thing. Even those who started and run SERE say they are not the same.

    And remember, SERE is largely to get you prepared for torture.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #10
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Waterboarding is torture,' says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Has Obama issued an Executive Order stopping the use of waterboarding on our own troops during SERE training?

    If not, why not? Surely we don't torture our own soldiers?


    (/irony)
    The soldiers are in theory agreeing to waterboarding.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •