Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 157

Thread: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

  1. #91
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    So basically what you're saying is that the hospital had an 80% mark up on your heart surgery ... but it's the government's fault that hospitals charge so much? I don't think so. The reason our medical expenses are higher than everyone else's is that we pay doctors a lot more, we pay hospitals more, we pay drug companies more, and insurance companies take a cut off the top. That's why government run systems cost half as much.
    So basically you are saying that doctors and health companies make too much money so our only options are socialism or facism? I don't think so.

    See what I did there? I took your tactic of way oversimplifying a point so it sounds crazy, ignores points, and becomes easier to argue.

    I could also say that you want to blame uninsured sick people in one breath and greedy corporations in the next. I could point out several ways and back them up why government is largely responsible for increased pricing, but you aren't interested in actual debate. You have shown that in your provocative replies. I could only expect snide responses and poorly veiled anger in response.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I hope that the Supreme Court strikes down the REPUBLICAN idea of mandating everyone to purchase insurance. That REPUBLICAN idea was only made part of the eventual healthcare law as an alternative to the public option which Republicans and the bluedogs would not support. That is the worst part of the healthcare law that we got. If that part is stricken down, then we can begin to work on fixing the watered down healthcare law that we got as a result of the Republicans. We need a single-payer system in this country, however beginning with a public option is the first step...and it would be a hell of a lot better than the illogical Republican mandate of requiring everyone to purchase insurance.
    I hope they strike it down, too. But there is a reason they gave up quickly on single-payer. I don't think you'd see that result as quickly as you hope. Also, even setting aside the points against socialized medicine, we aren't ready for an abrupt transition. If it were to pass, it would take at least a decade to move without destroying our current medical system.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I'll ask this again....what do you folks think is going to happen to health insurance stocks, if this thing actually passes?
    The reason you didn't get an immediate response is that it's honestly hard to say. Seeing as how they are promised some 30 million new customers and about 25 million of those were voluntarily without insurance, they will probably do quite well for themselves. They will take a hit in the inability to evaluate risk and being forced to take on very sick people, but they will make that up in volume and overall cost of their product.

    Likely they will make tons of money.
    Last edited by Keridan; 11-18-11 at 05:13 PM.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  2. #92
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I'll ask this again....what do you folks think is going to happen to health insurance stocks, if this thing actually passes?
    Check out what United Healthcare,Humana,Coventry make selling Medicare Advantage plans and get back to me.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  3. #93
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why should I have to pay for YOUR healthcare?
    Why should I have to pay for your roads and bridges?

    Why should I have to pay for your national security?

    Why should I have to pay for anyone's police/fire protection?

    Why should I have to pay for anyone's public education?


    See how easy it is to play your game?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #94
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You say that as if it has never been tried. Problem is, virtually every other industrialized country has some form of nationalized health care, and they generally provide the same level of care for half the cost.

    How many of those wonderful utopias have the population of the US?

    NEXT!!!


    J-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #95
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Why should I have to pay for your roads and bridges?

    Why should I have to pay for your national security?

    Why should I have to pay for anyone's police/fire protection?

    Why should I have to pay for anyone's public education?


    See how easy it is to play your game?
    My guess is that you don't. My guess is that you garner a refund at tax time, making you part of the recipiant class.


    J-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why should I have to pay for YOUR healthcare?
    why should I pay for the defense of YOUR state? why I should my tax-dollars go to Federal funding of YOUR roads?

  7. #97

  8. #98
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the question still stands-why should some be forced to work to pay for the health care of someone else

    1. because we live in a society that doesn't let people die in the street because they can't afford lifesaving care.

    2. because if we did live in a society where being poor meant no lifesaving care, crime would skyrocket. you'd be surprised what people would do to save their kids. there would be intense social disorder.

    it's in the interest of everyone that we find a system which is better than the haphazard employment-based system that is letting a lot of people slip through the cracks. we all pay more because many can't afford real health insurance.

  9. #99
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    My guess is that you don't. My guess is that you garner a refund at tax time, making you part of the recipiant class.


    J-mac
    No unlike you, I don't bitch and moan about paying taxes. I consider the ability to pay back into a country that has given me the opportunities that it has a privilege and part of the costs of living in this great country. I don't buy into the me me me mentality that believes that I should be able to keep everything to myself, because I recognize that without the benefits that this country has provided me, I wouldn't have what I do.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #100
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court to Hear Challenge to Obama Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    My guess is that you don't. My guess is that you garner a refund at tax time, making you part of the recipiant class.


    J-mac
    Oops, responded to wrong post....

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •