Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Mississippi Voters Reject ‘Personhood’ Ballot Cutting Off Abortion Access

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Mississippi Voters Reject ‘Personhood’ Ballot Cutting Off Abortion Access

    This would be a good beginning.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Mississippi Voters Reject ‘Personhood’ Ballot Cutting Off Abortion Access

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    There are so many unsupported statements in that I don't know where to begin. How about start with presenting even a shred of evidence for this one: "The religious right has just as many abortions as atheist liberals."
    You're right. The religious have far more abortions than atheists.

    Abortion Statistics

    Who's having abortions (religion)?
    Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical".
    NEXT?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-11-11 at 08:38 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #33
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Mississippi Voters Reject ‘Personhood’ Ballot Cutting Off Abortion Access

    Quote Originally Posted by Swit View Post
    What I find particularly amusing is the general conservative position on life in general. But that is perhaps a discussion for a different thread altogether.
    You mean the massive support for the unborn but the "screw em" once they're born view? Yeah, that never really made any sense. That's more of a Republican view. Republican =/= Conservative.

    Fiscal Cons would say "you're on your own for neonatal, and you're on your own after you're born" which is consistent.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 11-11-11 at 09:30 PM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #34
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Mississippi Voters Reject ‘Personhood’ Ballot Cutting Off Abortion Access

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Bad day in conservativeville, eh? First the DC Circuit upholds Health Care Reform, then Ohio voters repeal anti-union legislation, then not one but two women come forward to accuse Herman Cain of sexual misconduct, and now voters in Mississippi (of all places) have handed a resounding defeat to anti-abortion legislation that was expected to pass!



    Mississippi Voters Reject

    This was yet another conservative effort to make an end run around Roe v. Wade. It may have failed in part due to speculation that it would actually outlaw the use of contraceptive pills.
    This was somewhat of a close call, but if it can't pass in a state like Mississippi then I doubt it will ever pass anywhere.

  5. #35
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Mississippi Voters Reject ‘Personhood’ Ballot Cutting Off Abortion Access

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You're right. The religious have far more abortions than atheists.

    Abortion Statistics



    NEXT?
    Also, identifying your religion doesn't really mean you're religious. But I suppose that was your point from the beginning, however indirect.

    I will admit that there are some pockets in various Christian denominations that do believe abortion is OK. There is no Catholic, however, that can legitimately say that their religion supports it. The Church specifically forbids it, and any Catholic procuring or assisting in procuring an abortion, or God forbid performing or assisting in performing one, is guilty of mortal sin. I have also read that abortion carries automatic excommunication, which is a person being put out of the communion of the church for a serious moral offense. Excommunication does not mean "permanent ban" however, as most people mistakenly believe.

  6. #36
    Advisor nijato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charm City, USA
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    417
    Blog Entries
    2
    This wasn't about abortions, but zygotes. If the conservatives didn't overplay their hand, I think it could have passed in MS.
    "A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire

  7. #37
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Mississippi Voters Reject ‘Personhood’ Ballot Cutting Off Abortion Access

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Also, identifying your religion doesn't really mean you're religious.
    That makes about as much sense as saying that just because you're an atheist, it doesn't really mean that you don't have religious beliefs. If a person has religious beliefs, they're religious. If they're religious enough to want to identify themselves as being of a specific religious group, then they're religious.

    But I suppose that was your point from the beginning, however indirect.

    I will admit that there are some pockets in various Christian denominations that do believe abortion is OK. There is no Catholic, however, that can legitimately say that their religion supports it. The Church specifically forbids it, and any Catholic procuring or assisting in procuring an abortion, or God forbid performing or assisting in performing one, is guilty of mortal sin. I have also read that abortion carries automatic excommunication, which is a person being put out of the communion of the church for a serious moral offense. Excommunication does not mean "permanent ban" however, as most people mistakenly believe.
    Um some pockets? Whether you're a Christian, Jew, Hindu or atheist at the end of the day, people will put their greed and economic grow on the same scale they put "the sanctity of life". Honestly, I don't really give much a **** what Catholics believer or what your church considers a mortal sin. I care about the nonsense claim that there is some sort of contentious argument amongst the people in this country as far as abortion is concerned. There really isn't. There is a vocal zealous minority and then there is everybody else getting abortions right and left and not caring much about what their clerics say.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Mississippi Voters Reject ‘Personhood’ Ballot Cutting Off Abortion Access

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    There are so many unsupported statements in that I don't know where to begin. How about start with presenting even a shred of evidence for this one: "The religious right has just as many abortions as atheist liberals."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You're right. The religious have far more abortions than atheists.
    Chuck's statement is idiotic, and your counter of it is extremely slanted from someone just looking to make a hit rather than looking at it objectively.

    To even approach attempting to honestly look at the ridiculous concept he suggested one would actually need to look at percentages.

    76% of the populations considers itself Christian. A full 85% of people are religious. Only 1.6% of the population considers themselves Atheists.

    A retarded spider monkey should be able to tell you there would be more abortions from religious people than atheists considering the fact that if EVERY atheist had an abortion it would only take 2.25% of the Christian, not even just religious, population to have MORE abortions than them.

    Suggestion Atheists have more abortions than Christians is idiotic. Similarly, attempting to "disprove" it by acting like the religious have such a giant amount of abortions is also a bit of an over exaggeration and a rather useless bit of data. As stupid as the whole argument is, the only way to more honestly and effectively figure it out would be to look at the percentage within each. But actually coming at it with an honest attempt to find out a realistic and fair bit of information rather than just pushing one or the other individual hyper partisan mindset wouldn't be the point of either of your posts, so why would I expect it to be done in such a way.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Mississippi Voters Reject ‘Personhood’ Ballot Cutting Off Abortion Access

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Chuck's statement is idiotic, and your counter of it is extremely slanted from someone just looking to make a hit rather than looking at it objectively.

    To even approach attempting to honestly look at the ridiculous concept he suggested one would actually need to look at percentages.

    76% of the populations considers itself Christian. A full 85% of people are religious. Only 1.6% of the population considers themselves Atheists.

    A retarded spider monkey should be able to tell you there would be more abortions from religious people than atheists considering the fact that if EVERY atheist had an abortion it would only take 2.25% of the Christian, not even just religious, population to have MORE abortions than them.

    Suggestion Atheists have more abortions than Christians is idiotic. Similarly, attempting to "disprove" it by acting like the religious have such a giant amount of abortions is also a bit of an over exaggeration and a rather useless bit of data. As stupid as the whole argument is, the only way to more honestly and effectively figure it out would be to look at the percentage within each. But actually coming at it with an honest attempt to find out a realistic and fair bit of information rather than just pushing one or the other individual hyper partisan mindset wouldn't be the point of either of your posts, so why would I expect it to be done in such a way.
    The argument was about whether there is any kind of serious debate about abortion in this country. There really isn't and Chuck took issue with me stating a complementing fact: The religious have far more abortions than the non-religious. As I see it, the religious are the ones calling for an end to reproductive choice yet they have just as many abortions if not more, than the rest of us. The debate at this point is about "At what point of gestation is abortion no longer acceptable?" - Whether or not it should be legal? There's no debate about that anymore. Just a few disgruntled Christians who will never have it their way.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-12-11 at 04:06 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •