Page 49 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 1355

Thread: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

  1. #481
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    That's right, in means nothing if you don't view it in context. And viewing it out of context is your thing.
    You seem to be viewing it through those fairy dust storms of yours, whatever they are,

    It's obvious when the leftists are losing it they search the net for symbols, as has been done on this thread with "Keep on trucking" and "Boring". Now your fairy dust suggestion.

    I suppose the question of our time is,"Do the Leftists even want to be taken seriously"?

  2. #482
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Doesn't really matter does it? No job is a complete loss, right?

    And, no, while I believe in education, it really will not fix all problems. I know how much many want a silver bullet, the fact is business works on a very simple premise. If there are buyers, business will come.
    Joe, are there any studies on service based economies, vs. Manufacturing based economies?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #483
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Doesn't really matter does it? No job is a complete loss, right?
    It doesn't really matter? Of course it really matters. In fact it really, really matters. And it is a loss. Do you think there is a profit for anyone in hiring government people? Where is it? It is never revenue neutral.

    And, no, while I believe in education, it really will not fix all problems. I know how much many want a silver bullet, the fact is business works on a very simple premise. If there are buyers, business will come.
    Education might fix the problem of people believing that vast government spending will create prosperity, that trillions of dollars in debt is not a serious problem, that looking about for who to blame rather than offering solutions to these serious problems is the direction to take. Certainly the United States cannot continue as it has done in the past with these sorts of wide spread attitudes. This generation will then truly be the "Lost Generation" because they'll have blown it all.

  4. #484
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    See, that's the thing. You actually have to look at the WHOLE context -- not just the parts that support your prefab political spin. Otherwise you just get dismissed.
    This is why no one can take you seriously. Obama helped create when he claims he inherited.
    Last edited by Conservative; 11-28-11 at 10:15 AM.

  5. #485
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It doesn't really matter? Of course it really matters. In fact it really, really matters. And it is a loss. Do you think there is a profit for anyone in hiring government people? Where is it? It is never revenue neutral.
    Of course there is a profit. If I have that job, I have a pay check. For me, that is profit. As I now have money to spend, I spend and this helps business around me. This matters.

    Now, if I don't have that job, it is silly to think that magically I'll have another private sector job. With a recession, it is more likley that a number would have no job. Hence, a loss. Without that job, I can't pay my bills, let alone spend.

    This is not difficult to follow.

    Education might fix the problem of people believing that vast government spending will create prosperity, that trillions of dollars in debt is not a serious problem, that looking about for who to blame rather than offering solutions to these serious problems is the direction to take. Certainly the United States cannot continue as it has done in the past with these sorts of wide spread attitudes. This generation will then truly be the "Lost Generation" because they'll have blown it all.
    That's really a false position some push. It is' easier to do than to really consider an issue. Most know that government is not a magic cure or fix, but that we the people can use government to solve larger problems. It won't be magic, or utopia, or solve every problem. Most understand this clearly.

    But what we have here is a dicussion about which is better for the economy: Someone working or not working. It's a fairly simple equation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #486
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Joe, are there any studies on service based economies, vs. Manufacturing based economies?

    j-mac
    Do we manufacture here any more? Or are we calling making a cheese burger manufacturing?

    However, as this is off what I was dicussing, what do you think you're getting out? Before I go look for studies for you, I'd like to have some idea as to why.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #487
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Do we manufacture here any more? Or are we calling making a cheese burger manufacturing?

    However, as this is off what I was dicussing, what do you think you're getting out? Before I go look for studies for you, I'd like to have some idea as to why.

    Well, I was just curious as to what studies are out there that make educators like yourself that I am sure bases your opinions on the emperical works out there that show that a service based private sector, is more stable than a manufacturing based one. Also, why would you say basically, if I am understanding this correctly from you that: "Most know that government is not a magic cure or fix..." When the entirety of the argument from liberals today seems to be that government unrestrained is the answer?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #488
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, I was just curious as to what studies are out there that make educators like yourself that I am sure bases your opinions on the emperical works out there that show that a service based private sector, is more stable than a manufacturing based one. Also, why would you say basically, if I am understanding this correctly from you that: "Most know that government is not a magic cure or fix..." When the entirety of the argument from liberals today seems to be that government unrestrained is the answer?
    j-mac
    As always, members of the far right distort what liberals and moderates stand for. Liberals and moderates believe that both the government and the private sector have legitimate roles to play. We understand that, when the private sector is in recession, it's necessary for the government to step into the breach temporarily, until the private sector regains its footing. We don't have a polarized view where government is evil and the free market is God-like.

  9. #489
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    As always, members of the far right distort what liberals and moderates stand for. Liberals and moderates believe that both the government and the private sector have legitimate roles to play.

    Not so good a labels are you? the problem I see with your cover statement about liberals, is that although there are legitimate, and constitutional roles for government, liberals tend to throw those restraints out the window in increments then try to blame their failures on conservatives in the most dishonest fashion.

    We understand that, when the private sector is in recession, it's necessary for the government to step into the breach temporarily, until the private sector regains its footing.
    Could you please point to the Amendment, or constitutional provision that authorizes this over reach?

    We don't have a polarized view where government is evil and the free market is God-like.

    That is your straw man you are constructing there...Have fun with it.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #490
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Not so good a labels are you? the problem I see with your cover statement about liberals, is that although there are legitimate, and constitutional roles for government, liberals tend to throw those restraints out the window in increments then try to blame their failures on conservatives in the most dishonest fashion.



    Could you please point to the Amendment, or constitutional provision that authorizes this over reach?




    That is your straw man you are constructing there...Have fun with it.


    j-mac
    The problem that you are both falling prey to is simple generalization.

    People who call themselves "liberals" believe lots of different things. This is why labels are pointless. Why does it matter what some groups of people with certain labels believe or don't believe? Does it make the policies being discussed any different? Debate the policies, not the people.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 49 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •