Page 30 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 1355

Thread: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

  1. #291
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why?


    j-mac
    Because the middle-class did. Let me ask you this. Why do you think it is fair for the middle-class rate's to not fluctuate accordingly (either up or down) as it does with the top 1%?

    Since 2001, the average tax rate has fallen from 4.09 percent to 2.99 percent for the bottom 50 percent of tax returns and has fallen from 28.20 percent to 21.46 percent for the top 0.1 percent and 27.5 percent to 22.45 percent for the top 1 percent. TAXFOUNDATION



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  2. #292
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I do think you miss his point.

    But let me ask you this. If the game is set to help those withmore the most, and it is with corporate welfare and other perks, and this leads to a small percentage having most everything, do the odds increase that you'll likely reach the top or decrease?
    I thought about this post all day yesterday Joe, as I was driving back home from Indy. The way you framed this really bothered me for a number of reasons.

    You lay the premise that the game is rigged which is simply not so. The wealth in this country is not static, nor is it limited. So to say that the pursuit of financial success is limited, and your socio-economic status is etched in stone where you are at in any point in time is pure Bull.

    For there to be a truly fair, and free market that has propelled this country to be the greatest engine of wealth creation in the worlds history, the dream of success on your own merits and hard work have to be in place.

    What you advocate is a tenant of Marx where redistribution has to be equal which has never worked to advance anyone.


    j-mac
    Last edited by j-mac; 11-24-11 at 09:37 AM.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #293
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, sorry, it is not about blaming. I'm not making a value judgment about the rich or poor. I'm simply pointing out the if you want to collect more revenue, the best place to look is the place where you will find the money.
    In order to make this statement true from you, then you'd have to be looking at incomes in the middle class as a whole. The only way you are arriving at your class war mantra is to take individual incomes as a percentage compared to other individuals and what they make. That is dishonest, and wrong.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #294
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Because the middle-class did. Let me ask you this. Why do you think it is fair for the middle-class rate's to not fluctuate accordingly (either up or down) as it does with the top 1%?

    Since 2001, the average tax rate has fallen from 4.09 percent to 2.99 percent for the bottom 50 percent of tax returns and has fallen from 28.20 percent to 21.46 percent for the top 0.1 percent and 27.5 percent to 22.45 percent for the top 1 percent. TAXFOUNDATION

    The more money you are talking about the greater the increase or decrease. It isn't surprising that those that don't make a whole lot of money actually have more even tax rates. There just isn't much to go after there. Not to mention comparing someone who makes say $1000.00 per week and someone who derives their income from investment return and pays quarterly with ever differing deductions as well as fluctuations in actual gain or loss, is deceptive to say the least. However, if you are advocating for a broader, fairer tax that simplifies the differences and brings everyone into the mix fairly as they should be then I would welcome you to the fold.

    However, I don't think that is the case.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #295
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    In order to make this statement true from you, then you'd have to be looking at incomes in the middle class as a whole. The only way you are arriving at your class war mantra is to take individual incomes as a percentage compared to other individuals and what they make. That is dishonest, and wrong.

    j-mac
    Could you restate that in English?

  6. #296
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Could you restate that in English?
    Simple...You could take 100% of the wealthy you've declared have "too much" and it wouldn't matter at all.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #297
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Simple...You could take 100% of the wealthy you've declared have "too much" and it wouldn't matter at all.


    j-mac
    Well, I never said that anyone had "too much", but if you took 100% of the assets of the wealthy it would obviously take care of the deficit immediately. If you take just the top 400 Americans you would net $1.4 trillion.

  8. #298
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Well, I never said that anyone had "too much", but if you took 100% of the assets of the wealthy it would obviously take care of the deficit immediately. If you take just the top 400 Americans you would net $1.4 trillion.

    All of the wealth, that means everything they have, all for one damned year of deficit? Wow, great plan.....Here is a hint for you, It isn't your money!!! This country has topped $15 Trillion in debt! And Obama's responsible for a third of that in just three years! pathetic. You libs are just too much!


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #299
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    All of the wealth, that means everything they have, all for one damned year of deficit? Wow, great plan.....Here is a hint for you, It isn't your money!!! This country has topped $15 Trillion in debt! And Obama's responsible for a third of that in just three years! pathetic. You libs are just too much!
    j-mac
    I didn't propose that we should take their wealth. I was simply correcting your hypothetical.

    In other words, you set up a straw man argument, I knocked him down, and then you attack me because of the straw man you set up.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably - 2012 Decoded

    Does this mean the revolution will be called off?
    this is due to the clear fact, that OWS is claiming to speak for the 99%, without actually consulting the 99% on what they want, what they desire, and what their grievences are.

    They simply, and arrogantly, decide that THEY and only ONLY THEY speak for the 99%.

    But of course, they don't. They speak for themselves and maybe another 10-15% of the population.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •