Page 22 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 1355

Thread: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

  1. #211
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post

    Does this mean the revolution will be called off?
    What is your problem?

    Would you deem it a good thing if not a single American got upset about the enonomic disaster created by the Wall Street cabal?

    Do you actually enjoy watching America pervert into a corrupt, fascist plutocracy?

  2. #212
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    Wrong. While the top 1% did experience a slight increase in their share of total AGI (17.5% to 20%), their share of all income taxes paid increased more (33.9% to 38%). You can have your own opinions, you can't have your own facts.
    I don't know where you get your info, but you should practice what you preach, you can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts.

    An article in the Economist states the answer quite simply: “In America the income share of the rich has grown faster than the share of taxes paid.
    Data from the Tax Foundation bears this out. Between 1987 and 2008, the share of income controlled by the top 1% grew to 20% from 12%. That signals a total share growth of 67%. During the same period, their share of taxes went to 28% from 24%, suggesting share growth of 17%.
    In other words, the top 1% share of income grew nearly five times faster than their share of taxes.
    Why the Rich Pay 40% of Taxes - The Wealth Report - WSJ



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  3. #213
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    I don't know where you get your info, but you should practice what you preach, you can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts.

    An article in the Economist states the answer quite simply: “In America the income share of the rich has grown faster than the share of taxes paid.
    Data from the Tax Foundation bears this out. Between 1987 and 2008, the share of income controlled by the top 1% grew to 20% from 12%. That signals a total share growth of 67%. During the same period, their share of taxes went to 28% from 24%, suggesting share growth of 17%.
    In other words, the top 1% share of income grew nearly five times faster than their share of taxes.
    Why the Rich Pay 40% of Taxes - The Wealth Report - WSJ

    Ok, so are you saying that people should be limited as to the wealth, or the rate at which they can amass said wealth?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #214
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, so are you saying that people should be limited as to the wealth, or the rate at which they can amass said wealth?
    I would never say that. But they do need to pay higher taxes.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I would never say that. But they do need to pay higher taxes.
    And have less help from government. Favoring the wealthy over the middleclass and working men and women is what has helped create the gap and shrinking middle class.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    What is your problem?

    Would you deem it a good thing if not a single American got upset about the enonomic disaster created by the Wall Street cabal?

    Do you actually enjoy watching America pervert into a corrupt, fascist plutocracy?
    You have the wrong enemy. Your enemy is the US Federal government. But you do not even recognize it. And fascism? Well, with 80,000 federal regulations I think we have it.

  7. #217
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably - 2012 Decoded

    Does this mean the revolution will be called off?
    Unlikely. OWS has three-times the approval rating of Congress and a better approval rating than the Republican Party.

    That said, the 24-hour nature of OWS really hurt it. It really helped highlight the craziest of the participants. It's probably better for the movement now that the cities are cracking down on them.
    Last edited by Cameron; 11-20-11 at 01:51 PM.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  8. #218
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I would never say that. But they do need to pay higher taxes.
    And how is this going to help bridge the gap exactly?

    The rich have less money... and the .... government? has more?


    Unless you are saying we should tax the rich and give to the poor via government handouts...........
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #219
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I would never say that. But they do need to pay higher taxes.
    What percentage of their income should go to the federal government?

  10. #220
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    What percentage of their income should go to the federal government?
    Not sure there is an exact number, and more likley it will change from time to time, as it always has. I would support going back to the pre-Bush tax cuts.

    But, this is also what I would say, and this is in repsonse to Caine as well, this would be more about reducing the deficit than it is about helping the middle class. To help the middle class, we need to remove our focus for policies that benefit the wealthy and business more than anyone else, and look for polices that help the middle class and working people more. And it isn't like I have a certain policy in mind, as I suspect it would be a few different polcies, but that the focus should be placed where the most help is needed.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •