Page 129 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1355

Thread: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

  1. #1281
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,296

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by FFDP666 View Post
    I'm not paying for your retirement, just a part of it, because I don't think SS is a livable wage. Plus, on that premise, why should i care, if i'm getting that same benefit when i get to your age? BUTTTTTT who knows if i will have that when i get there, but on a philosophical level I have no problem paying that tax, when i would be getting it back when i retire.
    You are indeed paying my SS if you are working. My SS contributions were spent long ago. You may or may not get the SS benefits when you are my age. Where is the money going to come from to pay for those benefits? There aren't going to be enough workers when you retire to pay your benefits so you better think about it

  2. #1282
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    02-12-12 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    519
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What we need is a growing economy from which the govt. gets revenue. the focus solely on Income tax revenue is nearsighted. First thing has to be to define the role of the govt. and put a realistic budget in place, then match that budget with revenue requirements. Right now 24 million unemployed/under employed Americans aren't paying much in FIT and 47% of current income earning households aren't paying a dime in FIT. Most liberals ignore that problem if you indeed believe we have a revenue problem. I don't, I believe we have a spending problem along with a GDP growth problem.
    Why bother tax those incomes? you wouldn't get much money from them anyway.

  3. #1283
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by FFDP666 View Post
    I'm not paying for your retirement, just a part of it, because I don't think SS is a livable wage. Plus, on that premise, why should i care, if i'm getting that same benefit when i get to your age? BUTTTTTT who knows if i will have that when i get there, but on a philosophical level I have no problem paying that tax, when i would be getting it back when i retire.

    Ponzi schemes never work. Even the most elaborate ones collapse.


    J-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #1284
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,296

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by FFDP666 View Post
    Why bother tax those incomes? you wouldn't get much money from them anyway.
    The govt. does need revenue to fund itself and we need a govt. just not a 3.7 trillion dollar govt. I am for a flat tax or a consumption tax, not a progressive income tax.

  5. #1285
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    02-12-12 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    519
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You are indeed paying my SS if you are working. My SS contributions were spent long ago. You may or may not get the SS benefits when you are my age. Where is the money going to come from to pay for those benefits? There aren't going to be enough workers when you retire to pay your benefits so you better think about it
    *sigh* I said i'm not paying for your retirement, unless you plan to retire on just SS. Also, I said on a simply philosophical level, I don't have a problem with it, because the way it was set up, makes sense. Its another argument about whether or not it actually in reality will be there for me, and it would be, if our country and our policies weren't ass backwards

  6. #1286
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ponzi schemes never work. Even the most elaborate ones collapse.


    J-mac


    NO PONZI scheme in the history of the world has ever lasted 75 years. Ponzi schemes depend on garnering an ever-increasing pool of new investors to pay out returns to prior investors. When the potential pool of new investors runs dry, they collapse. This will occur when the scheme runs up against the natural limits of its recruitment strategy; in the ultimate case, it can't keep going past the point where the entire population is already subscribed.

    This should provide us with a hint as to why, as Kevin Drum writes (rebutting Shikha Dalmia), Social Security is not a Ponzi scheme. The entire population of working Americans has already been subscribed to Social Security for decades, yet the system continues to pay out benefits on time. That is because the actuarial calculations underlying its revenues and benefits are sound.

    Social Security: A monstrous truth | The Economist

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post


    NO PONZI scheme in the history of the world has ever lasted 75 years. Ponzi schemes depend on garnering an ever-increasing pool of new investors to pay out returns to prior investors. When the potential pool of new investors runs dry, they collapse. This will occur when the scheme runs up against the natural limits of its recruitment strategy; in the ultimate case, it can't keep going past the point where the entire population is already subscribed.

    This should provide us with a hint as to why, as Kevin Drum writes (rebutting Shikha Dalmia), Social Security is not a Ponzi scheme. The entire population of working Americans has already been subscribed to Social Security for decades, yet the system continues to pay out benefits on time. That is because the actuarial calculations underlying its revenues and benefits are sound.

    Social Security: A monstrous truth | The Economist
    Another Leftist who doesn't understand either demographics or debt. This shouldn't happen in a first world country..

  8. #1288
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post


    NO PONZI scheme in the history of the world has ever lasted 75 years. Ponzi schemes depend on garnering an ever-increasing pool of new investors to pay out returns to prior investors. When the potential pool of new investors runs dry, they collapse. This will occur when the scheme runs up against the natural limits of its recruitment strategy; in the ultimate case, it can't keep going past the point where the entire population is already subscribed.

    This should provide us with a hint as to why, as Kevin Drum writes (rebutting Shikha Dalmia), Social Security is not a Ponzi scheme. The entire population of working Americans has already been subscribed to Social Security for decades, yet the system continues to pay out benefits on time. That is because the actuarial calculations underlying its revenues and benefits are sound.

    Social Security: A monstrous truth | The Economist


    Does the current system rely on current workers taxation in order to pay for those benefits of those no longer working and or contributing themselves? That sir is the definition of a ponzi scheme.

    J-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #1289
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    02-12-12 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    519
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Does the current system rely on current workers taxation in order to pay for those benefits of those no longer working and or contributing themselves? That sir is the definition of a ponzi scheme.

    J-mac
    well...thats not true, by pure definition its not a ponzi scheme, there are some similarities because your getting money from other people blah blah blah but on that basis then the entire government is a ponzi scheme anytime you get a government service.

  10. #1290
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    02-12-12 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    519
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Poll: Voters Viewing Occupy Wall St. Unfavorably

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Another Leftist who doesn't understand either demographics or debt. This shouldn't happen in a first world country..
    YEAH AND YOUR A POOPY FACE!...thats the equivalent of your argument there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •