Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

  1. #11
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Being a former marine does not absolve you from following a lawful order.
    The city said clear the tents and no overnight camping, not no protesting.
    They didn't comply.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,910

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Take the side of the peaceful protesters. That's the side to take. Protesting is all we've got left. Though they're a rag-tag bunch with many different agendas...even though some small groups of them choose to break the law...even though they're a pain in the neck to the city of NY and the other cities that have have joined them...it's a sacred right. They are to be applauded for what they're doing. They're freezing their butts off, they've given up creature comforts -- to make a statement. And however misguided some of us believe they are, they're practicing democracy at its finest. For the most part, we should be proud of them.
    Well said Maggie. Glad to see you on the right side on this.

    You will not see me camping out in protest although I agree with much of their concerns. My idea of roughing it is having to stay in a hotel that does not come with a room with a two person jacuzzi.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #13
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Sorry, dude...but I'm not proud of useful idiots.
    Thank you for your service anyway.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #14
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Theres a bond between combat veterans that cannot be broken...

    My heart is torn in two directions...as a cop and as a veteran...I have remained silent because I just dont know all the facts...but If I knew them..I would certainly take the side of who I thought was right....I just dont know at this point.

    Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    One last thought to USATODAY...there is no such thing as a "FORMER" marine.
    This has to be the stupidest line of thought I have ever seen. Oh...hey...sure the guy was a douchebag...but he was a former marine...I must join their cause. Morons. Being a vet doesnt entitle anyone to special status. Get pulled over by the cops...hey...free pass...sorry dood...didnt know you were a vet. DUI? Hey...no problem...drive safe there chief...sorry...if i'd known you were a vet would have never pulled you over. Whooops...my bad.

    News flash. Police officers are employed by the citizens and DEployed by the city officials to maintain law and order. In Oakland, police officers were sent by the Oakland mayor to keep protesters out of a park. Instead of peacefully respecting the police officers, there to do their job, some ****heads in the protest movement started throwing rocks and bottles at the cops. Instead of backing away as directed, douchebag in question advanced on the police lines and was caught in the dome. Did he git hit because he was a vet/ No. Did he get hit because the cops hate the military? No. He got hit because he was a douchebag, advanced on a police line, and got caught in the crossfire when his fellow douchebags started pelting cops with rocks and bottles.

    Thats one hell of a reason to join a cause. Morons.

  5. #15
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    The OWS marches are...by their nature...volatile situations. They are mob actions. I'm surprised any Vet would be stupid enough to become part of the mob...given their experience with order and control in chaotic situations. But, hey...Vets can be stupid just like any other people, I guess.

    As a Vet, I certainly won't place myself in a stupid, dangerous situation just because some other idiot Vet did the same. Perhaps those "Veterans of the 99%" would be better served marching to the hospital and telling Olsen what a dumbass he is.

    I see, and the Tea Party protests of the past were not mob actions, right?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #16
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Take the side of the peaceful protesters. That's the side to take. Protesting is all we've got left. Though they're a rag-tag bunch with many different agendas...even though some small groups of them choose to break the law...even though they're a pain in the neck to the city of NY and the other cities that have have joined them...it's a sacred right. They are to be applauded for what they're doing. They're freezing their butts off, they've given up creature comforts -- to make a statement. And however misguided some of us believe they are, they're practicing democracy at its finest. For the most part, we should be proud of them.
    Well said, and the same goes for the Tea Party protesters too. I might disagree with the Tea Party, but I support their right to protest, just as I now support OWS. The right to protest is one of the reasons that America is the greatest nation in the world.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #17
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Being a former marine does not absolve you from following a lawful order.
    The city said clear the tents and no overnight camping, not no protesting.
    They didn't comply.
    I disagree. If those laws were passed in order to discourage protest, then it is the duty of Americans to disobey that law, just as they disobeyed "whites only laws" in the 1960's.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #18
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I disagree. If those laws were passed in order to discourage protest, then it is the duty of Americans to disobey that law, just as they disobeyed "whites only laws" in the 1960's.
    That wasn't the issue.

    1st, they were occupying a public park, which prevents other members of the public from using it.
    OWS people are not more entitled to a public park, than anyone else.

    2, there were reports of crime, that were insulated from the police.
    Allowing crimes to occur without intervention from the police, is a danger to the public.

    3, the sanitary conditions of the park were in question.

    4, they were not being barred from protesting.
    They were barred from protesting after the park closed and when they had permanent encampments.

    Not even remotely comparable to the white only laws protests.
    It's really insulting to compare these 2 distinctly different events in history.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #19
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,870

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I see, and the Tea Party protests of the past were not mob actions, right?
    You got any videos of the Tea Party clashing with the police? Any rubber bullets? Flash bangs?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #20
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I have tremendous respect for US Marines, believe me I do.

    But this is a dumb reason to join a particular movement. You join OWS perhaps because you agree with the message or sympathize with their cause, not because your friend/fellow Marine got hurt and you're mad at the cops who may or may not have overreacted.
    These guys probably served in Company Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •