Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 107

Thread: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

  1. #91
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post


    Yeah, after changing the entire political landscape last November, all of those fiscal conservatives, fiscal libertarians, fiscal democrats are simply going to stop voting for principles that just crushed the liberals. You have no idea what drives the Tea Party movement.
    The Tea Party has been taken over by standard politics now. What are they doing? They got a few guys in office, we got a balanced budget yet? No? Everyone likes to bitch about the OWS, but what has the TP accomplished in any real terms?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #92
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The Tea Party has been taken over by standard politics now. What are they doing? They got a few guys in office, we got a balanced budget yet? No? Everyone likes to bitch about the OWS, but what has the TP accomplished in any real terms?
    Oh, so change must be overnight for it to be valid.....TP was instrumental in taking at least the congress back, and now are overseeing, and watchdoging them to hold their votes accountable to the voters that voted them in.

    But I see how OWS is much better because hey, they can break stuff, make noise, rape and pillage, and get away with it.....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #93
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh, so change must be overnight for it to be valid.....TP was instrumental in taking at least the congress back, and now are overseeing, and watchdoging them to hold their votes accountable to the voters that voted them in.

    But I see how OWS is much better because hey, they can break stuff, make noise, rape and pillage, and get away with it.....


    j-mac
    I don't know the time scales y'all are talking about. People complain that OWS hasn't done anything. But the TP has been around longer, what have they done?

    The whole of OWS ain't doing what you're claiming and no one is saying they should get away with it. So perhaps if you want to try to engage honestly in debate you should be honest. This is what I dislike most about partisans; you'll rally against a side and use as much hyperbole and dishonesty as possible, but it's reverse thrusters should it come on your side. Without integrity, there's very little point. Get some.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Last Seen
    02-21-17 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    309

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    Shotgun - $500.00
    Ammo - $10.00
    Sight of anarchists pissing themselves and running like the chicken s#!ts they are! - Priceless

    Developer with shotgun scared off Oakland rioters

  5. #95
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't know the time scales y'all are talking about. People complain that OWS hasn't done anything. But the TP has been around longer, what have they done?
    You can not be serious...

    Most Tea Party activities since 2010 have been focused on opposing the efforts (supported by the Obama Administration) to enact reforms to health insurance and health care delivery, and on recruiting, nominating, and supporting candidates for upcoming state and national elections

    Tea Party protests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tea Partying lawmakers are credited with getting House Speaker John Boehner to back away from a bigger $4 trillion deal to cut the deficit in favor of a package with smaller, $2 trillion ambitions. And they didn't have to have a big confrontation with Republican leaders to make it happen.

    snip

    But the freshmen have still been able to push the House rightward, The New York Times' Nate Silver explains. GOP n00bs are a little bit more conservative than average--they vote the liberal position 6.8 percent of the time, compared to GOP veterans' 7.5 percent of the time--but they tend to be from more moderate districts than the veterans. By Silver's analysis, "80 percent of the first-termers are more conservative than you'd 'expect' based on knowing how the veteran Republicans are voting."

    The Tea Party's Accomplishments in Congress So Far - Yahoo! News
    To not aknowledge that the Tea Party has been influential is to employ the height of arrogance, and hypocricy considering what you accuse me of here...

    Without integrity, there's very little point. Get some.
    Yes sir, get some indeed.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #96
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    So they sit around and bitch about healthcare. Have they accomplished anything? Of course there is compromise, that's inherent to the system. But if their contention is that it doesn't exist, have they made true strides to accomplish that goal?

    In the end if we're going to say that OWS is sitting around bitching and not doing anything, is the TP any different (I think so, but not along the lines some of y'all probably take).
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #97
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    Happy Thanksgiving, folks:

    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #98
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So they sit around and bitch about healthcare. Have they accomplished anything? Of course there is compromise, that's inherent to the system. But if their contention is that it doesn't exist, have they made true strides to accomplish that goal?

    In the end if we're going to say that OWS is sitting around bitching and not doing anything, is the TP any different (I think so, but not along the lines some of y'all probably take).
    I agree. But mostly because I don't agree that protesting in this day and age really does much.

    Most of the rest of society say, "good for them." while turning around and also saying "they look like a bunch of idiots".... I guess its a "duality of man" thing.

    The only reason why the Tea Party can lay claim to having actually done something is because they have been around long enough to affect an election.

    How many elections have been held since OWS started?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I agree. But mostly because I don't agree that protesting in this day and age really does much.
    It may or may not. But it is a necessary right of the People, of the individual. And thus we must uphold it to its maximum.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #100
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: Occupy Oakland: City braces for general strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It may or may not. But it is a necessary right of the People, of the individual. And thus we must uphold it to its maximum.
    I don't think that ANYONE disagrees that to protest is a fundamental right. But, we must also protect those who choose not to protest in their right to not participate, or protect those innocent of the protest message from damage caused by the so called peaceful protesters.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •