Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 90

Thread: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

  1. #61
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,661

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Maybe things have changed or I'm misremembering........but I think it was like $25-$30,000 to retrofit my house to run solely on solar when I checked a few years ago.
    Thats what I recall as well...We were looking at renovating some rentals...thought it would be a nice benefit to offer tenants...no to low utilities. Problem is that the ROI just never gets there. As soon as it would pay for itself you would have to buy replacement parts.

  2. #62
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I realize that once the government committs to funding it's an open check. Just like Solyndra.
    Not really. I suspect you don't get the difference between the two. Solar in the US is fighting a very unfair fight against the Chinese and lesser extent the Germans. We simply are not providing the same kind of resources to our solar that other countries are giving to them. It's amusing to watch people demand the end to subsidies and then decry the death of American manufacturing. Giving up support to fledgling industries is basically sending them into a gladiator arena armed with wooden swords when the Germans and Chinese are arming their gladiators with diamond edged blades.

    Nuclear has existed since the 50s and is still reliant upon subsidies to get off the ground, get running and to dismantle.

    The Obama administration wanted to give them even more. Just like with the military. They will commit 2 billion to build a new jet fighter but once the over runs are up to 7 billion the government is still there with the money.
    See above. It helps to understand what you are talking about before posting. You appear less of a fool that way. And the F-35 basically doesn't have an alternative. That's partially why we have no choice. As opposed to say the advanced artillery Cheney killed and the Comanche that we didn't necessarily need.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not really. I suspect you don't get the difference between the two. Solar in the US is fighting a very unfair fight against the Chinese and lesser extent the Germans. We simply are not providing the same kind of resources to our solar that other countries are giving to them. It's amusing to watch people demand the end to subsidies and then decry the death of American manufacturing. Giving up support to fledgling industries is basically sending them into a gladiator arena armed with wooden swords when the Germans and Chinese are arming their gladiators with diamond edged blades.

    Nuclear has existed since the 50s and is still reliant upon subsidies to get off the ground, get running and to dismantle.



    See above. It helps to understand what you are talking about before posting. You appear less of a fool that way. And the F-35 basically doesn't have an alternative. That's partially why we have no choice. As opposed to say the advanced artillery Cheney killed and the Comanche that we didn't necessarily need.
    Solar is also fighting a fight against oil.

  4. #64
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Solar is also fighting a fight against oil.
    Solar is fighting coal. Oil is fighting coal. Hell, every energy source is fighting coal. Coal gets crazy subsidies. Not to mention puts the cost of pollution on everyone else. If they had to cover the damage their sourced pollution cost, coal would be extremely cost prohibitive.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #65
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,738
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not really. I suspect you don't get the difference between the two. Solar in the US is fighting a very unfair fight against the Chinese and lesser extent the Germans. We simply are not providing the same kind of resources to our solar that other countries are giving to them. It's amusing to watch people demand the end to subsidies and then decry the death of American manufacturing. Giving up support to fledgling industries is basically sending them into a gladiator arena armed with wooden swords when the Germans and Chinese are arming their gladiators with diamond edged blades.

    Nuclear has existed since the 50s and is still reliant upon subsidies to get off the ground, get running and to dismantle.


    See above. It helps to understand what you are talking about before posting. You appear less of a fool that way. And the F-35 basically doesn't have an alternative. That's partially why we have no choice. As opposed to say the advanced artillery Cheney killed and the Comanche that we didn't necessarily need.
    If your statement is true why is it that all the up and coming countries, such as Iran, Iraq, Syria, North Korea, Vietnam, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Taiwan, Indonesia, & Thailand, go for nuclear energy as an upgrade rather than solar, wind or other "green" technologies ?
    The question is more important than the answer!

  6. #66
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    House Speaker John Boehner attacked the Obama administration for financing failed solar-panel maker Solyndra LLC, saying government shouldn’t pick winners and losers. That hasn’t stopped him from demanding that the U.S. make a winner of a nuclear-fuel plant in Ohio, his home state.
    Boehner is backing a $2 billion Energy Department loan guarantee sought by USEC Inc. (USU) for its American Centrifuge Plant in Piketon, Ohio, aimed at enriching uranium for commercial nuclear reactors.
    “When it comes to emerging energy technologies, the Republicans don’t want to pick winners and losers -- unless it’s nuclear power,” Ellen Vancko, nuclear energy and climate-change project manager in the Washington office of the Union of Concerned Scientists, said in an interview.
    The collapse of Solyndra, which filed for bankruptcy protection last month, two years after receiving a $535 million federal loan guarantee, isn’t a reason to withhold financing from USEC, Boehner said in a Sept. 30 posting on his website. He cited a promise by Obama in his 2008 presidential campaign to aid the company.
    “In the midst of the Solyndra controversy that has raised serious questions about the Obama administration’s oversight of taxpayer dollars, hundreds of Southern Ohio workers stand to lose their jobs if the Obama administration reneges on the president’s promise to support an energy project in the small town of Piketon, Ohio,” Boehner wrote. “I urge the administration to not betray the citizens of Ohio.”
    USEC’s political action committee has given $10,000 to committees supporting Boehner since 2010, according to filings with the Federal Election Commission.

    Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra - Bloomberg
    Blatant hypocrisy can hurt candidates. Allen Keys for example called Hillary Clinton a carpet bagger, later he went to Illinios to run against Barack Obama and lost. For those who do not know what a carpet bagger is someone who runs for office in a district he or she does not live in or has lived there for only a short time in order to run for office in that district.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #67
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    If your statement is true why is it that all the up and coming countries, such as Iran, Iraq, Syria, North Korea, Vietnam, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Taiwan, Indonesia, & Thailand, go for nuclear energy as an upgrade rather than solar, wind or other "green" technologies ?
    Because the land cost to energy output is higher. Furthermore Iran, Syria and North Korea are using the programs to make nuclear weapons as a primary goal. The civilian energy is largely just a byproduct. Iran, Syria and North Korea all went with reactors that produce far more waste then is necessary. North's Korea's plutonium reactor is a near copy of the breeder reactor the UK used to mass produce fuel for its nuclear weapons. Taiwan may have a secret nuclear program like South Korea did back in the early 90s.

    A fair number of countries also go with nuclear because the seller of the plant offers financing. Essentially their direct short term costs are low. As opposed to the high startup costs normally associated with nuclear and that currently exist for most fuel sources aside from natural gas.

    Furthermore the UAE is planning the largest solar plant in the world. Taiwan has a number of solar manufacturers that are competing with South Korea and China. Indonesia just started on its first wind plant. I can keep going, but the lesson here is to Google stuff before posting. Countries you named are going with green technologies. You look really stupid when you cite countries as proof that green doesn't work when those countries are using green technologies.

    Furthermore just because nations are going towards nuclear doesn't mean anything I said is wrong. How you figured that, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 11-02-11 at 02:39 AM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #68
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    After almost 70 years of producing uranium, I believe we can safely remove the "experimental" label here, especially since Iran is doing it as well, don't you think ?
    If you are a Doctor you are considered to only practice medicine, never mastered. This in no way means that a doctor isn't a good doctor but over the years he will only get better. Just as nuclear power we will experiment with it more and more ever finding new ways to lessen the waste it creates. Best answer for cheap energy with the up in coming decades of more electric cars on the market.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,738
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Because the land cost to energy output is higher. Furthermore Iran, Syria and North Korea are using the programs to make nuclear weapons as a primary goal. The civilian energy is largely just a byproduct. Iran, Syria and North Korea all went with reactors that produce far more waste then is necessary. North's Korea's plutonium reactor is a near copy of the breeder reactor the UK used to mass produce fuel for its nuclear weapons. Taiwan may have a secret nuclear program like South Korea did back in the early 90s.

    A fair number of countries also go with nuclear because the seller of the plant offers financing. Essentially their direct short term costs are low. As opposed to the high startup costs normally associated with nuclear and that currently exist for most fuel sources aside from natural gas.

    Furthermore the UAE is planning the largest solar plant in the world. Taiwan has a number of solar manufacturers that are competing with South Korea and China. Indonesia just started on its first wind plant. I can keep going, but the lesson here is to Google stuff before posting. Countries you named are going with green technologies. You look really stupid when you cite countries as proof that green doesn't work when those countries are using green technologies.

    Furthermore just because nations are going towards nuclear doesn't mean anything I said is wrong. How you figured that, I'm not sure.
    The only stupid things here are your assumptions of what I figure and your lack of comprehension that these countries are foregoing all that "green" energy and building nuclear energy as their answer to their growing energy needs or as you put it "to make nuclear weapons as a primary goal. " If nuclear needs to be heavily subsidized like some in this thread have said then why would these countries dump money into a sinkhole when they could be going with sustainable green technology that is "safe" ?
    Last edited by Disputatious71; 11-02-11 at 08:19 AM.
    The question is more important than the answer!

  10. #70
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,738
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Boehner Demands $2 Billion for Ohio Plant After Solyndra

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style View Post
    If you are a Doctor you are considered to only practice medicine, never mastered. This in no way means that a doctor isn't a good doctor but over the years he will only get better. Just as nuclear power we will experiment with it more and more ever finding new ways to lessen the waste it creates. Best answer for cheap energy with the up in coming decades of more electric cars on the market.
    Best answer for future needs is nuclear, the same thing I have said above using all those countries that are planning nuclear for their energy needs instead of other "green" technology. It appears doubtful to me that such energy needs would also require their governments to subsidize them as some here have presented the case against nuclear power as efficient.
    The question is more important than the answer!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •