Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 629

Thread: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

  1. #341
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    See, here is where I have a problem with this line of class warfare. Liberals often today talk of equality, and all this so called shared sacrifice. But yet when getting serious about looking at what to cut out as far as individual write offs, up come the big three, home interest deduction, child, and charitable deductions. But what is left out in this attack on the wealthy is that their deductions for home, and charity are larger because they have larger homes, and give far more to charity than anyone in the middle class, or poor. And in this case these deductions can not be taken away from one group and left for others. That is about the most unfair thing I can think of. Either do away with all, or quit crying that the wealthy have more.

    j-mac
    I actually agree with you here. However, at least for the home deduction, I can support a cap on the deduction amount (based on family size and house value).

    But as far as charitable giving and child deductions, those are where I believe things SHOULD be equal regardless of income.

  2. #342
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I actually agree with you here. However, at least for the home deduction, I can support a cap on the deduction amount (based on family size and house value).

    But as far as charitable giving and child deductions, those are where I believe things SHOULD be equal regardless of income.
    Thanks man, but could you go into how capping the mortgage deduction would be a fair thing to do?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #343
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    These promonent BILLIONAIRES are also saying "TAX ME! We want to create jobs IN AMERICA because the People want...NEED to work!" "TAX ME! CREATE JOBS IN AMERICA!" Even they agree with the Occupiers need to put America back to work!!
    Wouldn't you rather see something like "REDUCE TAXES ON ME, AND I'LL CREATE REAL JOBS IN AMERICA! OH, AND STOP SPENDING SO MUCH DAMN MONEY!!" I know I would....
    Last edited by Sunbelt; 11-08-11 at 12:41 AM.

  4. #344
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Thanks man, but could you go into how capping the mortgage deduction would be a fair thing to do?

    j-mac
    If you base it on the two criteria I mentioned (size of family - i.e. a family of 9 won't have the same needs as a family of 4) and home value, you can find a moment where the price of the home goes beyond necessity and into luxury.

    For instance, I don't know anyone who could argue that a $5 million home is all "necessary". Let the "necessary" part (we can argue where that point is) be deductible and the "luxury" part not be. Again, I think if this is based on family size (and I would likely add geographic region because of obvious variance), we could come up with something that would be agreeable.

    And because it came up as I was typing this: farwell to Joe Frazier.

  5. #345
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Why should I spend the time to calculate numbers to make YOUR point? You were the one using 'imaginary numbers'. Then make a failed effort to show the 'real numbers' by copy/pasting an article exerpt. You do it.
    They are IRS numbers crunched by the Tax Policy Center. Over 30 years it is trillions of dollars.

    If we end our optional wars and cut military spending in half, that is trillions more over 30 years. Together, they could retire our national debt.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #346
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    See, here is where I have a problem with this line of class warfare. Liberals often today talk of equality, and all this so called shared sacrifice. But yet when getting serious about looking at what to cut out as far as individual write offs, up come the big three, home interest deduction, child, and charitable deductions. But what is left out in this attack on the wealthy is that their deductions for home, and charity are larger because they have larger homes, and give far more to charity than anyone in the middle class, or poor. And in this case these deductions can not be taken away from one group and left for others. That is about the most unfair thing I can think of. Either do away with all, or quit crying that the wealthy have more.

    j-mac
    Sorry, fresh out of sympathy for the super rich! They've benefitted from the gutted progressive tax system for the last 30 years at the expense of the middle class and the future generations that will have to pay back the debt partly created by their tax cuts..


    See here: http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1059937496
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #347
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Last Seen
    04-22-13 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    221

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Sorry, fresh out of sympathy for the super rich! They've benefitted from the gutted progressive tax system for the last 30 years at the expense of the middle class and the future generations that will have to pay back the debt partly created by their tax cuts..


    See here: http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1059937496
    So the rich are to blame for the government's irresponsible spending?
    Their tax cuts generated debt?
    That doesn't make sense.

  8. #348
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Free For All View Post
    So the rich are to blame for the government's irresponsible spending?
    Their tax cuts generated debt?
    That doesn't make sense.
    I do

    n't think a food giant like con agra is exactly against food subsidies.

  9. #349
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Free For All View Post
    So the rich are to blame for the government's irresponsible spending?
    Their tax cuts generated debt?
    That doesn't make sense.
    That isn't what I said.

    We the voters are to blame for letting our government for 30 years, cut taxes for the rich while they increased wasteful spending, thereby creating the debt we have today.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #350
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Last Seen
    04-22-13 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    221

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That isn't what I said.

    We the voters are to blame for letting our government for 30 years, cut taxes for the rich while they increased wasteful spending, thereby creating the debt we have today.
    Though, you are saying that the rich need to be taxed for the governments out of control spending problem.
    That's like having a wife (The Gubament) who doesn't work and doesn't know a damn thing about finances. Next thing you know she dun goof'd and spent more money than she had. Because she doesn't know how to count. Now she comes up with this great scheme to help pay off her debt... to make you work more! Now if you really loved your wife you would want to help her out... but she has this thing called history... and she keeps repeating the same damn mistake. And now all you want to do is divorce her. And yes Money is the leading cause of divorce! ( I think)

    Oh wait I was wrong...
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...tDivorces.aspx

    Damn it... We'll disregard this post.
    Last edited by Free For All; 11-08-11 at 02:18 AM.

Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •