Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 629

Thread: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

  1. #11
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    They say it because as BILLIONAIRES they know they'll never truly lose money. They have so much that even if you increase their taxes by 10% they'll still have more than enough money in profits to pay for it. Besides, they'll just find other business ventures to invest in to make still more money. If you listened to those billionaires in the interviews, you should have heard them say they want to reinvest their earnings right here in AMERICA on AMERICAN businesses that create products right here IN AMERICA! You and I both know that manufacturing has gone down in this country for years. As such, these wealthy individuals have little choice but to invest their money overseas. Doesn't it then make sense that if you want them to bring that money AND those jobs back here in the U.S., you have to create manufacturing jobs here IN AMERICA?

    As one of the supporters of the Occupy movement, I WANT the 1% to increase to %5...10%...20%....25%...50%. I want more Americans to become part of the wealth class. I do envy them, but in a good way. I think most of us would be lying if we said we didn't want their oppulance. My only beef is with those who act like those investment bankers in the book, "Too Big to Fail" who fought among themselves not about what was the right thing to do to preserve the properity of the nation, but rather they fought among themselves to retain or GAIN a larger piece of the economic pie and cared less about the fate of the nation. That's what I have a problem with. That's what the Occupy movement is trying to convey to all of America.

    Let's reverse this argument just for a second, however, and direct it at the poor. I don't blame all poor people for their economic situation. I know some who are poor not by their own choosing or their own doing. Some got into unforeseen accidents and have medical bills they can't afford. Some lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Some went from a two-income household to one primary bread winner; in some cases it was due to one spouse losing his/her job, in others, one wage earned left (divorce). These people I have no problem whatsoever lending a helping hand to. But those who take advantage of the entitlement system and are, in fact, lazy and don't want to work but instead purposely rely on WIC, TANF, Medicaid/SSDI - those people I do have a problem with. But make no mistake, there IS a difference between the two bottom extremes just as there is a difference between the two top extremes. Moreover, to think that laziness and addictive behavior only happens with certain demographics, i.e., Blacks, Hispanics or other minority groups alone, is just wrong! It happens with people across ALL racial divides.

    Once people start viewing things not from one extreme or the other, but seek a more middle-ground point of view, then and only then I believe will this nation beging to really change.
    Billionares are free to pay as much in taxes as they wish. There's no law saying that can't increase their own tax bill.

    How many of them are actually doing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Billionares are free to pay as much in taxes as they wish. There's no law saying that can't increase their own tax bill.

    How many of them are actually doing it?
    That is irrelevant to any discussion of a comprehensive tax policy for the nation and all who live in it. To say that one person can pay more if they wish to is meaningless compared to taxation policy as it applies to over 300 million people in the USA.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #13
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That is irrelevant to any discussion of a comprehensive tax policy for the nation and all who live in it. To say that one person can pay more if they wish to is meaningless compared to taxation policy as it applies to over 300 million people in the USA.
    It's very relevant. If all these billionaires, that belief they don't pay enough taxes, would voluntarily pay more taxes, perhaps we could just leave the tax rates the way they are. If it's actually about revenue vice wealth redistribution, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's very relevant. If all these billionaires, that belief they don't pay enough taxes, would voluntarily pay more taxes, perhaps we could just leave the tax rates the way they are. If it's actually about revenue vice wealth redistribution, that is.
    Sorry but it is not. You are talking about an anthill with more than 300 million ants on it and you are focusing on why one does or does not do something. Its silly... its nonsensical ...its inconsequential and its just plain meaningless.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #15
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    They say it because as BILLIONAIRES they know they'll never truly lose money. They have so much that even if you increase their taxes by 10% they'll still have more than enough money in profits to pay for it. Besides, they'll just find other business ventures to invest in to make still more money. If you listened to those billionaires in the interviews, you should have heard them say they want to reinvest their earnings right here in AMERICA on AMERICAN businesses that create products right here IN AMERICA! You and I both know that manufacturing has gone down in this country for years. As such, these wealthy individuals have little choice but to invest their money overseas. Doesn't it then make sense that if you want them to bring that money AND those jobs back here in the U.S., you have to create manufacturing jobs here IN AMERICA?

    As one of the supporters of the Occupy movement, I WANT the 1% to increase to %5...10%...20%....25%...50%. I want more Americans to become part of the wealth class. I do envy them, but in a good way. I think most of us would be lying if we said we didn't want their oppulance. My only beef is with those who act like those investment bankers in the book, "Too Big to Fail" who fought among themselves not about what was the right thing to do to preserve the properity of the nation, but rather they fought among themselves to retain or GAIN a larger piece of the economic pie and cared less about the fate of the nation. That's what I have a problem with. That's what the Occupy movement is trying to convey to all of America.

    Let's reverse this argument just for a second, however, and direct it at the poor. I don't blame all poor people for their economic situation. I know some who are poor not by their own choosing or their own doing. Some got into unforeseen accidents and have medical bills they can't afford. Some lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Some went from a two-income household to one primary bread winner; in some cases it was due to one spouse losing his/her job, in others, one wage earned left (divorce). These people I have no problem whatsoever lending a helping hand to. But those who take advantage of the entitlement system and are, in fact, lazy and don't want to work but instead purposely rely on WIC, TANF, Medicaid/SSDI - those people I do have a problem with. But make no mistake, there IS a difference between the two bottom extremes just as there is a difference between the two top extremes. Moreover, to think that laziness and addictive behavior only happens with certain demographics, i.e., Blacks, Hispanics or other minority groups alone, is just wrong! It happens with people across ALL racial divides.

    Once people start viewing things not from one extreme or the other, but seek a more middle-ground point of view, then and only then I believe will this nation beging to really change.
    Taxing successful people and businesses more will not create a single job, it will kill more jobs.....period. The fact that 20/20 could find a few narcissistic billionaires that wanted to go on record to display their rank hypocrisy is not compelling evidence we need to start plucking feathers off Golden Geese to produce more golden eggs.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Sorry but it is not. You are talking about an anthill with more than 300 million ants on it and you are focusing on why one does or does not do something. Its silly... its nonsensical ...its inconsequential and its just plain meaningless.
    I do not believe that they really want their taxes increased. If there was a real effort to increase their taxes by addressing capital gains, you would hear a huge cry of protest from these very same people.

    They say the right things because they know then it's more likely they will be left alone.

  7. #17
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Billionares are free to pay as much in taxes as they wish. There's no law saying that can't increase their own tax bill.

    How many of them are actually doing it?
    So far......zero, nada, zilch.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    For the gazillionth time: The government can't create jobs.
    Okay...if you say so...

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    For the gazillionth time: The government can't create jobs.
    IMG_4093.jpg

    water plus electricity

    =

    vegas-city-guide-ga-1b.jpg

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: ABC's "20/20 - Lessons from Billionaires: Tax ME to create jobs IN AMERICA!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Okay...if you say so...
    They can not create self sustainable jobs. O.K., maybe they can create a forest ranger who is paid with camping fee's but I shouldn't have to pay to stay somewhere I already own.

    They can in the large picture only create jobs that are paid by forcibly taking from others.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •