Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 141

Thread: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

  1. #81
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    OK. Come to the Bar, talk it over. What did you drink today?
    Rum. Always Rum. damn you, rum - i love you.

    turns out the bar downstairs is free from from 1830-2000.....

    however, the point remains. these people add nothing to society, they only subsist by draining from it. at least the vikings had the stones to sail across the atlantic and kill people, these guys just drum circle and complain about how nothing is fair.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman
    I am sure the british said the same sorts of things 200 or so years ago.
    when these people are denied access to representative government, you let me know.

    And its the rubber bullets that I am worried about, the smoke grenade thing is unfortunate and non lethal, I agree, however, it should only only been smoke grenades and nothing more lethal
    1. and yet here everyone is freaking out about the smoke grenade
    2. smoke grenades solo is insufficient. you have to actually give an aggressive crowd a reason that is desperate enough to break through the heightened group think and emotions they are experiencing. rubber bullets are a great way to do that with minimal damage.

  2. #82
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    it's not uncommon for young marines to "hate" the Corps... it's a time honored institution.
    in fact, I hated it a fair amount as a junior Marine myself.... life in the Corps , as a Private or Lance Corporal, really really sucks.

    there is an off-the-books-regulation that basically says " don't worry about your Marines b*tchin' about the Corps... start worrying when they stop b*tchin'."
    on a side note, it's worth pointing out - this is true. Marines that have ceased bitching have begun planning to mutiny.

  3. #83
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I disagree, the fact is that this method has been shown to be harmful and to a degree that it is over and above any danger that the police were facing and thats all there is to it.

    Marine Says Oakland Used Crowd Control Methods That Are Prohibited In War Zones
    the level of force necessary to stop a violent, pitched fever crowd that is willing to charge a police line is always going to be sufficient enough that enough usage will cause serious injury or death. we could arm our police with pillows and someone would get knocked to the ground hard enough to crack their skull.



    again, your natural sympathy (I have no idea why - up until now we've disagreed, but you've always shown good judgement) with this crowd is causing you to allow the perfect to become the enemy of the good.
    Last edited by cpwill; 10-30-11 at 01:48 PM.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    the level of force necessary to stop a violent, pitched fever crowd that is willing to charge a police line is always going to be sufficient enough that enough usage will cause serious injury or death. [...]
    With respect to the protesters under discussion, can you give us an example of a "violent, pitched fever crowd that is willing to charge a police line"?

    My understanding of the Oakland events, at least the precipitating event, is that the police charged the protesters encampment in a violent, pitched manner (tear gas, flash bangs, rubber bullets, bean bag guns, clubs, etc). Essentially an unprovoked attack.

    Feel free to correct me, with cited facts, if I'm wrong.

    From the OP's link:
    (CNN) -- The chaotic scene unfolded with flash-bang grenades, rubber bullets and clouds of smoke. Canisters whizzed through the air amid deafening booms.

    Marine Lance Cpl. Scott Olsen went down.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    There are multiple videos and articles on the subject.
    And you KNOW that this is not hazardous....

    What about the officers that were injured by the "peaceful" protesters.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    With respect to the protesters under discussion, can you give us an example of a "violent, pitched fever crowd that is willing to charge a police line"?

    My understanding of the Oakland events, at least the precipitating event, is that the police charged the protesters encampment in a violent, pitched manner (tear gas, flash bangs, rubber bullets, bean bag guns, clubs, etc). Essentially an unprovoked attack.

    Feel free to correct me, with cited facts, if I'm wrong.

    From the OP's link:
    All the violence reported on the Oakland scenario, as I pointed out in another thread with my list of three TIMELINED links began in the attempt to RE-OCCUPY the park later that night.

    Police moved them out in the morning hours, by 7pm a group tried to come back and RE-TAKE the park.....

    They staged a ****ing invasion, and you and others somehow believe this should be allowed and is a part of "non-violent" "Peaceful" protesting....
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    What happened in Oakland is abhorrent and completely unacceptable.

    It's not just people loitering, they are exercising their First Amendment right to protest. They're not simply squatters in public space, they're there with a purpose and a message.

    Police brutality in this country must come to an end. The mayor had no business disbanding a protest. Requiring permits for protests is a violation of the First Amendment. We should all be able to exercise our rights without infringement, and if that shuts down cities, then so be it.

    Incidentally, the police brutality will only strengthen the movement further.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    What happened in Oakland is abhorrent and completely unacceptable.

    It's not just people loitering, they are exercising their First Amendment right to protest. They're not simply squatters in public space, they're there with a purpose and a message.

    Police brutality in this country must come to an end. The mayor had no business disbanding a protest. Requiring permits for protests is a violation of the First Amendment. We should all be able to exercise our rights without infringement, and if that shuts down cities, then so be it.

    Incidentally, the police brutality will only strengthen the movement further.
    You don't have the right to live on public lands.

    Period.

    You can assemble, protest, and go home, come back the next day.... protest, go home, etc.



    When you show me that someone has the right to live on land they don't pay for, I will back down.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #89
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    There are multiple videos and articles on the subject.
    I agree with the Iraq and Afghanistan Vets, there should be a full investigation of this.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #90
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Injured Iraq veteran is face of Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And you KNOW that this is not hazardous....

    What about the officers that were injured by the "peaceful" protesters.
    What officers?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •