Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 229

Thread: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    Whose estimate made when? Last March, the Treasury claimed that it had already realized a profit of $6 billion from the bank bailout and expected that to grow to a profit of $20 billion. The CBO last March said it expected a loss of about $19 billion from the auto bailout and mortgage modification program.
    You are right. I was wasn't updated.

  2. #82
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    11-28-15 @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    798

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    If the police minded their own damn business, instead of attempting to disrupt and intimidate peaceful protests, the cost to the city would be ZERO.
    There is no Constitutional right to squat on city property no matter how angry they are about things they don't understand, so it is legal and proper for the police to monitor these encampments and to remove them at the discretion of the city government.

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    There is no Constitutional right to squat on city property no matter how angry they are about things they don't understand, so it is legal and proper for the police to monitor these encampments and to remove them at the discretion of the city government.
    So if the city government likes them they can stay.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    As much as those politicians would be bothered by them protesting in DC, yes. I don't think that will change.
    BHO has received the message and lumps these protesters in with the Tea Party, and of course he feels everyone's dissatisfaction, etc, and implies he's just the guy who can set things right.

    These are the 'useful idiots' doing their usual thing yet again, with no idea what's actually going on around them. Certainly the dumbing down of the US educational system has been a contributing factor in this OWS mess.

  5. #85
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Yes it will. As of this point I don't really think the Occupiers have the balls to bleed for their cause, but then again the Police don't seem to have the balls to test that theory either.
    Is it lack of balls, or do LEO's paychecks plant them firmly in the 99%?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    There is no Constitutional right to squat on city property no matter how angry they are about things they don't understand, so it is legal and proper for the police to monitor these encampments and to remove them at the discretion of the city government.
    Zoning bylaws should be observed and enforced. Protesting should not involve setting up housekeeping co-op.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    BHO has received the message and lumps these protesters in with the Tea Party, and of course he feels everyone's dissatisfaction, etc, and implies he's just the guy who can set things right.

    These are the 'useful idiots' doing their usual thing yet again, with no idea what's actually going on around them. Certainly the dumbing down of the US educational system has been a contributing factor in this OWS mess.
    I don't think so. The OWS is a return in many senses to people paying attention.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #88
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    11-28-15 @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    798

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I think you are missing the OWSers point. They feel as though the bailout benefited the wealthiest disproportionately. And that these people were the very same ones whom brought the nation's and the world's financial system to the brink of collapse.
    But of course that's nonsense. It is as easy to argue that government agencies that never questioned the AAA ratings the mortgage backed derivatives received were responsible for the financial crisis and the resultant recession. The bank bailout saved at least hundreds of thousands of jobs here in the US and, since the major financial institutions that were bailed out were highly popular publicly owned corporations, it preserved the value of countless 401k's and pension funds. A relative handful of wealthy executives in the financial industry benefited from the bank bailout along with millions and millions of Americans who were not wealthy.

  9. #89
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    11-28-15 @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    798

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So if the city government likes them they can stay.
    Exactly. If the city government decides the cost of preventing the Occupy people from becoming a threat to public health or safety or to activities, such as access to government offices or commerce or shopping, etc., that benefit the city's residents, they can remove them from their encampments. This does not mean they can't return the next day and protest their hearts out over the slogan of the day; it just means they can't squat on city property or private property with impunity.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    Exactly. If the city government decides the cost of preventing the Occupy people from becoming a threat to public health or safety or to activities, such as access to government offices or commerce or shopping, etc., that benefit the city's residents, they can remove them from their encampments. This does not mean they can't return the next day and protest their hearts out over the slogan of the day; it just means they can't squat on city property or private property with impunity.
    What if the claim is that their general presence does any of those things? Can they indefinitely keep protesters away?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •