Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 229

Thread: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

  1. #201
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why do you think that? Is your job too hard?

    j-mac
    Gee, I don't know. Should I send a letter of request survey to Wall St. to determine how many of them are inept at aircraft night vision lighting?

    It just riled me up. Maybe it's just a propaganda letter concocted by the Left. That would make more sense than people actually saying that they will take my job if they lose theirs. **** 'em in the ditch, shoot 'em in the head.
    Last edited by d0gbreath; 11-01-11 at 10:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  2. #202
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Gee, I don't know. Should I send a letter of request survey to Wall St. to determine how many of them are inept at aircraft night vision lighting?
    Would it be fair to say that you would be just as inept at a job at a Wall St. hedge fund? Or on the trading floor? Neither of you know what is involved in each others jobs. right?

    It just riled me up. Maybe it's just a propaganda letter concocted by the Left. That would make more sense than people actually saying that they will take my job if they lose theirs. **** 'em in the ditch, shoot 'em in the head.
    Pretty violent statement there Mick....I wonder if you'd be the first to whine unfair when bruised by a bean bag.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #203
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,728

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Gee, I don't know. Should I send a letter of request survey to Wall St. to determine how many of them are inept at aircraft night vision lighting?

    It just riled me up. Maybe it's just a propaganda letter concocted by the Left. That would make more sense than people actually saying that they will take my job if they lose theirs. **** 'em in the ditch, shoot 'em in the head.
    Why does that bother you and how can that shock you? We are talking about A-personality types...high acheivers. Just how well do you think the 47% would stack up against people that have demonstrated a drive, willingness and most importantly an ABILITY to succeed?

  4. #204
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Good God! Why is it that libs think that they are sooooo clever by trying to use thinly veiled inference as deception? Now at the risk of you magically choosing now to log off, or move to another part of the board, why don't you fully, and clearly explain who it was you were attacking then. Oh, and try and appear like you attempting a genuine answer please....thx.

    J-mac
    Sure, it's this idea of the individual, this idea that the wealthy are defacto super hero's that can do nothing wrong. The fact is people generally that do very well...like Warren Buffet will tell you that the system is what allows people to do well. This idea that Americans or even wealthy Americans are so much smarter, hard working etc than any other group in the world is ridiculous. The fact is, if you're wealthy in America a large part is the structure built over centuries of hard work by Americans. From the Chinese immigrant that built the railroads, the Irish immigrants building the Erie Canal, the interstate railroad system, the wealth accumulated in the United States by centuries of hardwork from Americans in all classes.

    There's also this fallacy of easily transferable skills. The fact is...skills are not transferable and some skills are better rewarded than others. If you can throw a football 70 yards with pinpoint accuracy, work diligently in the film room to study the other team...that doesn't mean you can be a Wall Street broker. Just like the idea that someone is a Wall Street broker will walk into a classroom and be a great teacher. There are great teachers that spend lots of time on perfecting their abilities. That doesn't mean they will make even a good ditch digger. Productivity is gained from experience and this idea that if you're a Wall Street broker you're compensated for working harder than everybody is just a fallacy. You're compensated because our system is constructed in a way that skills dealing with Capital are highly rewarded.

    Hard work and discipline are everywhere, from the lower class to the highest class. This idea that all lower class individuals are lazy grifters and all higher income individuals are super humans is.....basically ridiculous idea.

    I'm reading the new Steve Jobs bio, and within 100 pages you see how he benefited from growing up in an Area where DoD research is taking place. You see that he benefited from having neighbors that were engineers working in ground breaking research. He talks about how he dealt with kids at a summer job and lacked patience and wanted to smack the kids. He would be an atrocious teacher. He has a nack for electrionics. He's hard working, innovative, but benefited from a system that coupled what he had a knack for with the means to explore that knack. He mentions multiple times how he could of ended up in jail if he wouldn't of had some influences in his life that ended up positive.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #205
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Would it be fair to say that you would be just as inept at a job at a Wall St. hedge fund? Or on the trading floor? Neither of you know what is involved in each others jobs. right?
    I would wait until the day before the crash and short the market to death. Which would gain me nothing since there wouldn't be anything to take.
    Hell no I couldn't work on the trading floor. But I'm not saying that if I lose my job. I'll just take one of theirs.


    Pretty violent statement there Mick....I wonder if you'd be the first to whine unfair when bruised by a bean bag.

    j-mac
    Don't know. I've never been shot with a bean bag. I guess I'd just shoot back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  6. #206
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Sure, it's this idea of the individual, this idea that the wealthy are defacto super hero's that can do nothing wrong. The fact is people generally that do very well...like Warren Buffet will tell you that the system is what allows people to do well. This idea that Americans or even wealthy Americans are so much smarter, hard working etc than any other group in the world is ridiculous. The fact is, if you're wealthy in America a large part is the structure built over centuries of hard work by Americans. From the Chinese immigrant that built the railroads, the Irish immigrants building the Erie Canal, the interstate railroad system, the wealth accumulated in the United States by centuries of hardwork from Americans in all classes.

    There's also this fallacy of easily transferable skills. The fact is...skills are not transferable and some skills are better rewarded than others. If you can throw a football 70 yards with pinpoint accuracy, work diligently in the film room to study the other team...that doesn't mean you can be a Wall Street broker. Just like the idea that someone is a Wall Street broker will walk into a classroom and be a great teacher. There are great teachers that spend lots of time on perfecting their abilities. That doesn't mean they will make even a good ditch digger. Productivity is gained from experience and this idea that if you're a Wall Street broker you're compensated for working harder than everybody is just a fallacy. You're compensated because our system is constructed in a way that skills dealing with Capital are highly rewarded.

    Hard work and discipline are everywhere, from the lower class to the highest class. This idea that all lower class individuals are lazy grifters and all higher income individuals are super humans is.....basically ridiculous idea.

    I'm reading the new Steve Jobs bio, and within 100 pages you see how he benefited from growing up in an Area where DoD research is taking place. You see that he benefited from having neighbors that were engineers working in ground breaking research. He talks about how he dealt with kids at a summer job and lacked patience and wanted to smack the kids. He would be an atrocious teacher. He has a nack for electrionics. He's hard working, innovative, but benefited from a system that coupled what he had a knack for with the means to explore that knack. He mentions multiple times how he could of ended up in jail if he wouldn't of had some influences in his life that ended up positive.
    Are some barriers that I don't know about that prevent someone from achieving the success you say is on the backs of others? The beauty of America is in that anyone can rise, it is up to them. Not some utopia where everyone is compensated for someone else's success because they 'feel' they should be.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #207
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    I would wait until the day before the crash and short the market to death. Which would gain me nothing since there wouldn't be anything to take.
    Hell no I couldn't work on the trading floor. But I'm not saying that if I lose my job. I'll just take one of theirs.


    Don't know. I've never been shot with a bean bag. I guess I'd just shoot back.
    But wait! I thought Tea Partiers were the ones we had to fear from violent action....Now we see it is you.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #208
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Are some barriers that I don't know about that prevent someone from achieving the success you say is on the backs of others? The beauty of America is in that anyone can rise, it is up to them. Not some utopia where everyone is compensated for someone else's success because they 'feel' they should be.

    j-mac
    There are always barriers. There are barriers in every system. America benefits by limiting those barriers to the largest extent possible.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  9. #209
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    There are always barriers. There are barriers in every system. America benefits by limiting those barriers to the largest extent possible.
    So then how does this answer square with your previous diatribe? Are you saying that anyone can succeed?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Why does that bother you and how can that shock you? We are talking about A-personality types...high acheivers. Just how well do you think the 47% would stack up against people that have demonstrated a drive, willingness and most importantly an ABILITY to succeed?
    I agree, they are inherently worth less as humans than the rich... as the founders intended.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •