Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 229

Thread: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    So you think if the city is forced to cut money for education, public health centers, close libraries and fire houses that is a victory?
    That's not my problem. The system is broken. Maybe if they are having to divert costs, they should have thought about that before supporting multi trillion dollar bailouts to domestic and foreign corporations, banks, and governments. We could always ask for some of that back, I suppose?

  2. #12
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    11-28-15 @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    798

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    That's not my problem. The system is broken. Maybe if they are having to divert costs, they should have thought about that before supporting multi trillion dollar bailouts to domestic and foreign corporations, banks, and governments. We could always ask for some of that back, I suppose?
    Maybe the children and poor people of Philadelphia you claim not to care about had nothing to do with the bailouts, etc. Maybe their problem now is not the system but just the protesters who are not paying their fair share of the costs they are generating.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    So you think if the city is forced to cut money for education, public health centers, close libraries and fire houses that is a victory?
    Collateral damage baby! You gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette.

    At least that's what the govt tells me every time their activities result in deaths and destruction of property of those who were not involved in the conflict.

    Remember that seven story apartment building in Iran that was leveled by a bunker buster at dinnertime because they thought Saddam was eating in a restaurant on the ground floor? I do. I saw the reporter jump when the huge explosion hit. I also recall that the residents in that area had been told to remain indoors to avoid being hit while we precision bombed the AA batteries that were in the streets in the area.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    Maybe the children and poor people of Philadelphia you claim not to care about had nothing to do with the bailouts, etc. Maybe their problem now is not the system but just the protesters who are not paying their fair share of the costs they are generating.
    You don't seem to understand a basic fact here. These people have a right to be protesting under the First Amendment. Not only that, many of the people present are the poor and disenfranchised that you are referring to. Stop invoking their name in order to criticize a movement. If you want to criticize it, then do so directly, instead of couching your attacks in some kind of faux economic concern.

    The reason why people are poor is NOT because of protesting and activism. Get a clue please.

  5. #15
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    That's the city's problem. Maybe if they don't want to dish out so much money, they should campaign for economic change instead of towing the status quo.

    What part of "right to freedom of assembly" do you not understand? There is no price tag attached to that. People can gather peacefully wherever they want. Screw the permit system. "Protest zones" are becoming common in most major North American cities. It's the government's way of neutering them of effectiveness.

    Activism is activism, not "activism in a certain part of the city where no one will see it", and certainly not "this activism is costing the city money, so we should charge them a fee."

    Total BS.
    Pull the police force. Let the demonstrators block traffic, interfere with commerce, commit petty theft, shoplifting, vandalism. Respond to calls to 911 only. That's what I'd do if I were in charge. Let them hang themselves; then kick ass. Enough, spoiled brats. Go home.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 10-26-11 at 09:03 PM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    this will surely help Philly's budget problems.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    That's not my problem. The system is broken. Maybe if they are having to divert costs, they should have thought about that before supporting multi trillion dollar bailouts to domestic and foreign corporations, banks, and governments. We could always ask for some of that back, I suppose?
    I doubt Philly had anything to do with multi trillion dollar bailouts to anyone....you have attacked the wrong target.
    unlike the federal government ( that OWS won't protest) cities and states have statutory obligations to balance their budgets.... they don't do bailouts, and they don't have trillions.

    but never fear, they will have to divert costs now... only you won't appreciate where they will be diverted from.

  8. #18
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    11-28-15 @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    798

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    You don't seem to understand a basic fact here. These people have a right to be protesting under the First Amendment. Not only that, many of the people present are the poor and disenfranchised that you are referring to. Stop invoking their name in order to criticize a movement. If you want to criticize it, then do so directly, instead of couching your attacks in some kind of faux economic concern.

    The reason why people are poor is NOT because of protesting and activism. Get a clue please.
    Some of the people at Occupy Philadelphia are poor, but many clearly are not, and the movement is costing the people of Philadelphia $400,000 a week, $1,250,000 a month in vital city services such as education, health care and public safety because declines in revenues have already forced the city government to eliminate all non essential expenditures.

    Certainly Occupy Philadelphia has a right to protest, but as responsible citizens and decent people don't they also have a responsibility to pay their fair share of the costs they are generating? After all, there is a difference between protesting and squatting on city property and there is no Constitutional right to squat on city property or private property, so if the city of Philadelphia is generous enough to allow them to squat in City Hall courtyard, shouldn't an innate sense of decency and responsibility to the community compel them to want to pay their fair share of the costs they are generating?
    Last edited by toomuchtime_; 10-26-11 at 09:24 PM.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    That's not my problem. The system is broken. Maybe if they are having to divert costs, they should have thought about that before supporting multi trillion dollar bailouts to domestic and foreign corporations, banks, and governments. We could always ask for some of that back, I suppose?
    I wasn't aware that THE CITY did that.......



    If you are any representation of the people protesting....... they really are lost.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Occupy Philadelphia costs city $400,000 in police surveillance

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I wasn't aware that THE CITY did that.......



    If you are any representation of the people protesting....... they really are lost.
    you heard her... it's not her problem....

    and it's not, it's the taxpayers of Phillys problem

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •