Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 217

Thread: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Expecting someone else to pay for your car, your house, your kids, your education .... yeah, it irre****ingsponsible.
    I hear no one calling for any of that.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #32
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    It's a blatant bribe for votes. That should outrage anyone.
    So is Rick Perry's non-flat tax proposal. Are you outraged about that?

    Think of it this way: they'll get to keep more of what they earn. I thought the GOP was all about that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #33
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Expecting someone else to pay for your car, your house, your kids, your education .... yeah, it irre****ingsponsible.
    Your car and your house provide little or no benefit to anyone other than you. Your education and your kids (if they are well-educated themselves) do, and so it's not inappropriate for government to assist people with those things. If we went back to a society where only the rich could afford an education, there would be much less social mobility because the children of poor parents would never have the opportunity to use their abilities to become better off. Besides, no one benefits from a poorly educated society; it hurts the economy, which affects the pocketbooks of those at the top of the income ladder too.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Your car and your house provide little or no benefit to anyone other than you. Your education and your kids (if they are well-educated themselves) do, and so it's not inappropriate for government to assist people with those things. If we went back to a society where only the rich could afford an education, there would be much less social mobility because the children of poor parents would never have the opportunity to use their abilities to become better off. Besides, no one benefits from a poorly educated society; it hurts the economy, which affects the pocketbooks of those at the top of the income ladder too.
    Oh ! So you get an education so that you can go out and help other folks !! You make babies so as to help society !! And what the heck ! If you got all kinds of loans to get all such degrees, and then weren't really all the help you thought to society, cause you can't find anyone to pay you for your societal talents, then since you meant to help society all along, let them pay for the education you got but couldn't put to good enough use !!

    Typical liberal clap-trap. This ain't about the poorly educated. Its about the educated not paying their bills.

  5. #35
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Someone else has to pay for the education that they do not pay for now. After 10%. and 20 years, you no longer owe. Who's going to pick up that tab ?
    In most cases, no one. Because, most people will have paid off their principle. The cuts will come in interest.

    Further, if people consolidate with Direct Loan, the government no longer has to pay to subsidize private companies doing student lending - so there are efficiency savings that can be applied as well.

    Finally, you have to be in good standing to take part in the program. SO if someone is currently in default, they could potentially get back in good standing (if they have income - I know several people who went into default when they were out of work, and simply didn't know how to get back into good standing when they had enough money) to take advantage of the savings; thus increasing revenues.

    This will likely cost the taxpayer little if anything. And if the money leftover in people's pockets is spent and it helps even slightly spark the economy, then the increase in the tax revenues could offset those costs.

    Of course, these are some of the same arguments that Republicans say would happen with tax breaks - but when Obama does it; those arguments automatically become specious to the right-wing mind.

  6. #36
    User BalmerLiberal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Conservatives just bristle at the thought that someone might get something that they won't.
    <a href=http://www.examiner.com/liberal-in-baltimore/bill-schmalfeldt target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.examiner.com/liberal-in-b...ll-schmalfeldt</a>

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    In most cases, no one. Because, most people will have paid off their principle. The cuts will come in interest.

    Further, if people consolidate with Direct Loan, the government no longer has to pay to subsidize private companies doing student lending - so there are efficiency savings that can be applied as well.

    Finally, you have to be in good standing to take part in the program. SO if someone is currently in default, they could potentially get back in good standing (if they have income - I know several people who went into default when they were out of work, and simply didn't know how to get back into good standing when they had enough money) to take advantage of the savings; thus increasing revenues.

    This will likely cost the taxpayer little if anything. And if the money leftover in people's pockets is spent and it helps even slightly spark the economy, then the increase in the tax revenues could offset those costs.

    Of course, these are some of the same arguments that Republicans say would happen with tax breaks - but when Obama does it; those arguments automatically become specious to the right-wing mind.
    You have waaaaay too many baseless assumptions there. While I have no problem with the consolidatin, there is now way to analyze the lowering of the eligible income for payment from 15% to 10%, and then the reduction in obligation from 25 to 20 years, and not see that it means taxpayers will have to foot more of the bill.

    Interest is the cost of borrowing someone else's money. Your analogy about prinipal, such that $10 now is somehow no different from $10 ten years from now is folly.

  8. #38
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Oh ! So you get an education so that you can go out and help other folks !! You make babies so as to help society !!
    Those things do improve the economy, yes. GDP is a measure of productivity per person, times the number of people.

    And what the heck ! If you got all kinds of loans to get all such degrees, and then weren't really all the help you thought to society, cause you can't find anyone to pay you for your societal talents, then since you meant to help society all along, let them pay for the education you got but couldn't put to good enough use !!
    It's more an issue of encouraging people to get educated in the first place. If there is no safety net to help people with student loans, then fewer people will get educated. We need to reform the way that we handle student loans in this country, so that the government picks up less of the tab up front, but there is more of a social safety net. What I would suggest is that 1) The government continue to offer subsidized and unsubsidized student loans...but limit the amount to maybe 150% the cost of public universities. This would help private schools control their costs, 2) The government offers a new kind of loan where instead of paying a fixed dollar amount you pay a percentage of your future income, 3) States change the way that their public universities handle tuition; instead of charging a flat fee it should be related to the subject. There is no reason that an Art History degree should cost as much as an Engineering degree, since it provides much less value.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-26-11 at 09:18 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Those things do improve the economy, yes. GDP is a measure of productivity per person, times the number of people.



    It's more an issue of encouraging people to get educated in the first place. If there is no safety net to help people with student loans, then fewer people will get educated. We need to reform the way that we handle student loans in this country, so that the government picks up less of the tab up front, but there is more of a social safety net. What I would suggest is that 1) The government continue to offer subsidized and unsubsidized student loans...but limit the amount to maybe 150% the cost of public universities. This would help private schools control their costs, 2) The government offers a new kind of loan where instead of paying a fixed dollar amount you pay a percentage of your future income, 3) States change the way that their public universities handle tuition; instead of charging a flat fee it should be related to the subject. There is no reason that an Art History degree should cost as much as an Engineering degree, since it provides much less value.
    I am not going to disagree with any of that, but it is also a far cry from what Obama is doing here.

    1) Obama has just created greater moral hazard in the seeking of student loans, as the borrower (student) now knows they may not be liable for full repayment, and so can spend more in pursuit of whatever education they want. Not unlike what started the housing bubble; and

    2) This hazard will only fuel further inflation in the college education market.

    This is just more liberal nanny-state stupidity that will increase public debt.

    Might I add that a better reform would be the often discussed but never enacted social services program, not unlike the GI Bill, where you serve your country in a non-military but essential role in return for educational assistance.

  10. #40
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What was irresponsible?
    Individuals borrowing thousands more than they can pay back.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •