Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 217

Thread: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

  1. #131
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Oh, and for the record, I make my payments just fine, despite the crap I've gone through. This argument is about other people who are not as well off as myself. Not everybody out there has a wife who makes 40K a year, to balance out one's unemployment.
    No doubt, but I think that alot has to do with people thinking that borrowing money is free money.....We see that with Credit cards as well.

    Tell me, Those that don't have the intent regardless of paying back their loans regardless of what the loan is, should I be responsible for that?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #132
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Look, the bottom line is that if you think you will not be able to afford the repayment of the loan you agree to, then DON'T SIGN THE NOTE!!!!!

    take some responsibility for God's sake!
    How the hell is an 18-year-old (or anyone else for that matter) supposed to know what the economy will be like in four years when they graduate?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #133
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    How the hell is an 18-year-old (or anyone else for that matter) supposed to know what the economy will be like in four years when they graduate?
    Why should it be my problem that they make foolish decisions?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #134
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's where most the loans are, so specify the terms of the laons you're speaking of, what you think Obama is speaking of, and how many are likley to be more than 25 years. Maybe link something supporting that?
    And technically the 25 year position is incorrect, from the Whitehouse:

    ...this borrower remained a teacher or was employed in another public service occupation, he would be eligible for forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program after 10 years of payments .

    So, not 25 year but 10 years...EVERYONE'S situation is different so providing examples of support will be an exercise in theory and thus a waste of time.

    FACT SHEET: "Help Americans Manage Student Loan Debt" | The White House

  5. #135
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Oh, and for the record, I make my payments just fine, despite the crap I've gone through. This argument is about other people who are not as well off as myself. Not everybody out there has a wife who makes 40K a year, to balance out one's unemployment.
    I sincerely thank you for being a patriotic American and not burdening the rest of us with your obligations. Others, not as well off, should strive to emulate you. You ARE the kind of person we need more of.

  6. #136
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No doubt, but I think that alot has to do with people thinking that borrowing money is free money.....We see that with Credit cards as well.

    Tell me, Those that don't have the intent regardless of paying back their loans regardless of what the loan is, should I be responsible for that?

    j-mac
    The only thing you should be responsible for is your own actions.


    I find it hard to believe that there are very many people who view loans and other forms of borrowed money as free money...
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #137
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wait, what the.....Tell me the student lender in America that is "popping a cap" in anyone that doesn't pay up? Who the hell are you borrowing from Tony Soprano?

    Look, the bottom line is that if you think you will not be able to afford the repayment of the loan you agree to, then DON'T SIGN THE NOTE!!!!!

    take some responsibility for God's sake!

    j-mac
    Meaning, poor people, don't go to college. College costs as much as house, and is rising FASTER, much faster, than the housing market, ever BEFORE the bubble.


    Also, no lender is pooping a cap in people who pay their loans late, or can't make payments at all for some months, or extended periods of months. As I stated, capitalized even, was that THAT was an extreme example. However, using uncle sam to dock money from a paycheck that is already insuficiant to force the loan payment, may as well be "popping a cap" in some people. You want to keep people off of welfare, sir? Then don't dock an unemployment check in order to make student loan payments. Because THAT'S how you put people onto welfare, and QUICK.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #138
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why should it be my problem that they make foolish decisions?

    j-mac
    Right. Going to college is a foolish decision. But not making yourself more valuable to potential employers is equally foolish.


    Mind telling me a choice that is NOT foolish, under your increasingly impossible standards?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  9. #139
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    I sincerely thank you for being a patriotic American and not burdening the rest of us with your obligations. Others, not as well off, should strive to emulate you. You ARE the kind of person we need more of.
    No, what we need more of are lending institutions that aren't subsidized, and backed by the force of government, which might then put them on grounds to make them a bit more negotiable when it comes to allowing leeway on a graduates ability to make payments.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #140
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama to Announce Student Loan Relief Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    The only thing you should be responsible for is your own actions.
    I agree, but that is not what you are saying here. 1. was it not your own action to take out the loan? 2. When you default on that loan I have to pay it back through my taxes. how is that being responsible for your own actions?

    I find it hard to believe that there are very many people who view loans and other forms of borrowed money as free money...
    Why? That is in effect what you are advocating here?


    Meaning, poor people, don't go to college.
    Not everyone is meant to go to collage. The trades in this country are hurting for qualified people. Plus the "poor" get their education paid for under government programs already. It is the middle class

    College costs as much as house, and is rising FASTER, much faster, than the housing market, ever BEFORE the bubble.
    Then your gripe is with the University systems that continue to sit on endowments, and pass along bloated salaries for tenured professorial staff that may lecture one class a week but draw top shelf salary. Among other problems within the system ofcourse. But the bottom line is that these Universities that are soaking the students, are doing so because the government will back the loans. It is the damned housing bubble.

    Plus, who says you need to go to a top line University? There are many opportunities for people to get a degee without attending these money pits.

    Also, no lender is pooping a cap in people who pay their loans late, or can't make payments at all for some months, or extended periods of months. As I stated, capitalized even, was that THAT was an extreme example. However, using uncle sam to dock money from a paycheck that is already insuficiant to force the loan payment, may as well be "popping a cap" in some people. You want to keep people off of welfare, sir? Then don't dock an unemployment check in order to make student loan payments. Because THAT'S how you put people onto welfare, and QUICK.
    Wow, that is real BS. Are you really saying here that those people without a collage degree are doomed to welfare?

    Right. Going to college is a foolish decision. But not making yourself more valuable to potential employers is equally foolish.
    Putting words into my mouth will not make your argument look any less self absorbed, and wrong. Sorry.

    Mind telling me a choice that is NOT foolish, under your increasingly impossible standards?
    the choice that is NOT foolish in my view is the one that fits a particular person going forward with not only their budget, but also with their potential. It certainly is not a smart decision to take $150K plus in loans just so you can get a piece of paper with a certain name on it, then cry because you took out the loan in the first place.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •