Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 385

Thread: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

  1. #221
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,731

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    large-scale American involvment. Dictator Qhaddafi dead.

    not one American dead or injured. Good job Obama.


    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    shamefully imho
    Explain.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  2. #222
    Student Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Arizona. Sorry.
    Last Seen
    12-12-11 @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    181

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    large-scale American involvment. Dictator Qhaddafi dead.

    not one American dead or injured. Good job Obama.
    If you only watched Fox and only read Drudge, honestly, you would think it was a bad thing. You honestly would.

    Obama 2012!

  3. #223
    Student Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Arizona. Sorry.
    Last Seen
    12-12-11 @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    181

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    OK. No problem.
    Knowhatimsayin!

    (Oh hell, nevermind.)

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    02-23-12 @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    791

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    The title of this thread is slightly misleading. The Obama administration requested to stay, but were denied. We aren't "pulling" out. We were "kicked" out. However, this slight, but important nuance doesn't stop Obama from cashing in on an opportunity and pulling the wool over the eyes of his supporters.

    The US suffered a major diplomatic and military rebuff on Friday whenIraq finally rejected its pleas to maintain bases in the country beyond this year.

    Barack Obama announced at a White House press conference that all American troops will leave Iraq by the end of December, a decision forced by the final collapse of lengthy talks between the US and the Iraqi government on the issue.

    The Iraqi decision is a boost to Iran, which has close ties with many members of the Iraqi government and which had been battling against the establishment of permanent American bases.

    Obama attempted to make the most of it by presenting the withdrawal as the fulfilment of one of his election promises.

    "Today I can report that, as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of the year. After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over," he told reporters.
    Iraq rejects US request to maintain bases after troop withdrawal | World news | guardian.co.uk

    What a snake oil salesman.
    Last edited by Antiderivative; 10-23-11 at 06:22 PM.

  5. #225
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,915
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Explain.
    He failed to honor the War Powers acts. The SC ruled that congrescritters did not have standing to challenge the matter though it should have led at least to a SC ruling about how the particulars were to be defined. And then the congresscritters failed to impeach him over it and have it ironed out that way.
    I may be wrong.

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiderivative View Post
    The title of this thread is slightly misleading. The Obama administration requested to stay, but were denied. We aren't "pulling" out. We were "kicked" out. However, this slight, but important nuance doesn't stop Obama from cashing in on an opportunity and pulling the wool over the eyes of his supporters.

    Iraq rejects US request to maintain bases after troop withdrawal | World news | guardian.co.uk

    What a snake oil salesman.
    BBC reported a different account of what happened:

    Iraqi leaders had wanted 5,000 US troops to remain in a training capacity. But those trainers would not have received immunity from prosecution under Iraqi law.

    The Pentagon refused to accept that condition, with Defence Secretary Leon Panetta insisting that "we protect and provide the appropriate immunity for our soldiers".

    The decision to pull out all US troops suggests no deal could be reached, despite Iraq's desire for continued access to US military expertise, correspondents say.

    BBC News - Barack Obama: All US troops to leave Iraq in 2011
    It sounds to me like Obama considered staying (which does bother me), but didn't for whatever reason. Regardless, I'm happy and I could really care less why we're leaving.

  7. #227
    I support ██ ███
    jasonxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,405

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    BBC reported a different account of what happened:

    It sounds to me like Obama considered staying (which does bother me), but didn't for whatever reason. Regardless, I'm happy and I could really care less why we're leaving.
    probably to save face imo but was anything mention about the personnel leaving there or just the troops? To lazy to read the story atm.



  8. #228
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    One of the big problems I see with Ron Paul is his stance on legalizing drugs. He wants to legalize all drugs, which I personally don't have anything against it. Although, I would prefer to keep stuff like heroine illegal so we can still send people to rehab court mandated. That is besides the point though. He wants to legalize ONLY so corporations can take it over as a business. Someone told me on another forum that he would have it illegal for you to say grow pot in your house.

    So yes, to answer your question, he is a corporate scum bag imho.
    Someone told you wrong. Paul is staunchly anti corporatist. It's the reason why he'll never make it into office. As for him legalizing some of the harder drugs...eh, the president is not all powerful. Look at Obama, right now. How much stuff do you think he WANTS to do, but can't?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  9. #229
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Now, that's not true. Most liberals did not support invading Iraq.
    Bush did not engage in a war without the support of his government, IE, your elected officials. To say that "Well, regardless of what my elected official does or says, I, personally don't support the war" is hugely irresponsible. WE are the ones who are supposed to hold our public leaders accountable.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #230
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Official: U.S. pulling out all troops from Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    You have any evidence of this?
    The...fact that it was allowed to happen? But, in actual fact, 60 % or something like that in the D party DID vote against it...

    Of note, Ron Paul was one of only 6 republicans that voted against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •