Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 249

Thread: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

  1. #41
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No one is telling them they can't protest. They're only telling them they can't protest when the park is closed.
    So then they are telling them they cannot assemble and protest during times the State has decided that they shouldn't be allow to assemble and protest (there's no restriction on how they define the temporal restrictions). I think there needs to be proper limitation on government intervention of the exercise of rights.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #42
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's a city ordinance against camping in the park. i.e. camping in the park is illegal.
    Yes, and the contention is that they are not camping but rather assembling and protesting.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's a city ordinance against camping in the park. i.e. camping in the park is illegal.
    YAY for Guberment intrusion.....when it suits your purpose.

  4. #44
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Does that mean this same judge can be called upon to stick up for anyone who is cited under this ordinance, from now until eternity?
    When those people are filing a lawsuit based on the ordinance, meet the criteria for a preliminary injunction, and move for one... YES. That's how a common law system works. The judges have to follow the rules. ANY judge should do this.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #45
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    YAY for Guberment intrusion.....when it suits your purpose.
    Yay for throwing the law out the window, when it suits your purpose. No doubt the exemption from the law only applies to OWS goofballs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yay for throwing the law out the window, when it suits your purpose. No doubt the exemption from the law only applies to OWS goofballs.
    Judicial review of laws to ensure the protection and proliferation of the rights of the individual have always been part of the proper checks and balances in the system.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yay for throwing the law out the window, when it suits your purpose. No doubt the exemption from the law only applies to OWS goofballs.
    Laws are open to judicial review. That is the law.

  8. #48
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    How are the "pussies"? They were ordered not to ticket though the proper channels of checks and balances.
    Well, because someone orders you to do something doesn't always mean it's right, or that you should do it.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #49
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Well, because someone orders you to do something doesn't always mean it's right, or that you should do it.
    But if the courts say that there is reason to review a law and thus punishment of the law is being temporarily suspended, the police have no rightful action nor force to enforce the delayed law.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #50
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    But if the courts say that there is reason to review a law and thus punishment of the law is being temporarily suspended, the police have no rightful action nor force to enforce the delayed law.
    The law is still on the books... I understand your point, but because politics has entered into it doesn't mean the law is null and void. You and I both know it may take months or years to overturn a law or to get politicians to amend that law. It also depends on the law...
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •