Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 249

Thread: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    We all need a copy of Pinkie's protest etiquette. Apparently some people are not properly protesting. <gasp>
    A protest is not a tea dance. I'm complaining about their manners, sure. But mainly I'm complaining at the lack of stated demands, purpose, target, etc.

    There's a difference between "protesting" and "bull****ting".


    mau-mauing.jpg

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You work in law? Also, didn't some judge issue a TRO on a government law coming out in Wisconsin back during the whole collective bargaining thing?
    Yes, a Wisconsin state judge TRO'd a law BEFORE it went into effect. The basis for the request for relief was procedural defects in passing the law which would render it legally meaningless (void ab initia) if proven. It dealt with the new Wisconsin anti-union law.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    A protest is not a tea dance. I'm complaining about their manners, sure. But mainly I'm complaining at the lack of stated demands, purpose, target, etc.

    There's a difference between "protesting" and "bull****ting".


    mau-mauing.jpg
    This sort of protest seems to be more of a new experiment born from social media outlets and the ability to assemble people. It's not quite going to look the same. While there is main purpose and cause, because they have collected so many varying ideologies to protest the perceived problem, there will not be a coherent message from the group on HOW you address it. Various subgroups may have ideas, they may even conflict with the ideas of other subgroups. But all agree that there is an overall problem. This is more likely a demonstration of magnitude, which could be a useful measure.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #114
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Yes, a Wisconsin state judge TRO'd a law BEFORE it went into effect. The basis for the request for relief was procedural defects in passing the law which would render it legally meaningless (void ab initia) if proven. It dealt with the new Wisconsin anti-union law.
    Yeah, and this law was then challenged in a new way, that is to say whether or not the camping law can be used to infringe upon protest and assembly rights (apparently the answer is yes). So it was issued while that debate happened. I don't necessarily see it as wrong particularly given that we are dealing with protest and assembly rights.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Can you honestly not tell what they're protesting? It's the aggressive entanglement of State and Corporate entities. They are pissed off at the corporate capitalist model we now find ourselves under. I didn't think this one was so hard. The other questions are tougher given that the overall movement is not coherent, but that first one has been obvious to anyone willing to open their eyes and look for themselves. It's demonstrating a magnitude issue, which I suppose has its merits in some sense.
    What bull****. Someone is funding this, stage-managing it, etc. Prolly Soros, but who knows anymore?

    These are mostly white young adults who have too much time and not enough comprehension of their own nation's laws and businesses.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    What bull****. Someone is funding this, stage-managing it, etc. Prolly Soros, but who knows anymore?

    These are mostly white young adults who have too much time and not enough comprehension of their own nation's laws and businesses.
    So your response is that "someone is funding this" and that all the people who make up the protest don't know what they're talking about? Something that went world wide? None of those people know what they're talking about?

    The bull**** seems to be coming from you.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah, and this law was then challenged in a new way, that is to say whether or not the camping law can be used to infringe upon protest and assembly rights (apparently the answer is yes). So it was issued while that debate happened. I don't necessarily see it as wrong particularly given that we are dealing with protest and assembly rights.
    One more time:

    A TRO, especially against a government act, is an extraordinary remedy. Ergo, it is by defintion not the "usual remedy".

    The standard for granting one is not that the moving party has asserted his constitutional rights are being affected.

    They have to show (1) irreparable harm will occur if the TRO is not granted. Having to wait two weeks is not "irreparable harm".

    They also have to show (2) a substantial likelihood that they will prevail on the merits. "A snowball's chance in hell" is not a "substantial likelihood".


  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Well, I consider urban green spaces to be "necessary to the general welfare". You seem to think that unless a riot or a cholera epidemic breaks out, the city and its residents have no interests to protect.

    Ever been to a farm after it had hosted a festival with thousands of attendees for a weekend? Did you happen to notice all the groundcover had been destroyed, the land was nothing but ozzing mud, litter tended to accumulate, etc.?
    There is a large Rainbow Family presence at OWS.

    They have held an annual peace protest, each year in a different location, without permit or permission.

    Their record with Forestry is exemplary.

    Their performance in leaving the various sites just like they found exceeds even the Sierra Club.

    When their cleanup crews leave the site a couple months after the event, only an expert can tell they were there. A year later, even experts have a hard time telling that upwards of 20,000 people had been there for weeks.

    Trails hardened by feet are tilled and replanted with native vegetation. Every speck of trash is picked up, including trash left by others. Firepits and latrines are erased.

    So I'm going to suspend judgement on "damage" and "cleanup". Especially when we see memes like "OWS is anti-semitic" everywhere, based on literally two or three examples, the most prevalent being of one black fellow who is actually denounced IN one of the videos. And the most venal being on the part of some local jackass dressed up in his chick-scamming best.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So your response is that "someone is funding this" and that all the people who make up the protest don't know what they're talking about? Something that went world wide? None of those people know what they're talking about?

    The bull**** seems to be coming from you.
    First tell me, who's doing any actual talking? The OWSers are not communicating with me by any means other than the signs they're carrying. These OWers did not want the reporter to sit in on their meeting with the city or see their proposed settlement agreement. Apparently, what they want is a big, fat secret.

    And again, I can draw no logical relationship between the City of Cincinnati government and the Great Recession.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Federal Judge Orders Cincinnati Not To Ticket OWS'ers

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    There is a large Rainbow Family presence at OWS.

    They have held an annual peace protest, each year in a different location, without permit or permission.

    Their record with Forestry is exemplary.

    Their performance in leaving the various sites just like they found exceeds even the Sierra Club.

    When their cleanup crews leave the site a couple months after the event, only an expert can tell they were there. A year later, even experts have a hard time telling that upwards of 20,000 people had been there for weeks.

    Trails hardened by feet are tilled and replanted with native vegetation. Every speck of trash is picked up, including trash left by others. Firepits and latrines are erased.

    So I'm going to suspend judgement on "damage" and "cleanup". Especially when we see memes like "OWS is anti-semitic" everywhere, based on literally two or three examples, the most prevalent being of one black fellow who is actually denounced IN one of the videos. And the most venal being on the part of some local jackass dressed up in his chick-scamming best.
    I lived in Cincinnati for like 10 years. Trust me, these people will disappoint you and ruin the parkland they occupy. The city's not known as a hotbed of treehuggers.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •