Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 183

Thread: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

  1. #1
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    Did someone say the rallies arent making a difference ?


    The push for a higher tax on New Yorkers making more than $1 million a year is getting fresh life with a new poll showing overwhelming support, a high-profile rally on Monday and the strengthening Occupy Wall Street protest in New York City

    The Siena College poll found 72% of New York voters support the tax to avoid further budget cuts. Just 26% oppose the proposal by powerful Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.


    N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

  2. #2
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    that is typical of the parasite mentality. everyone wants SOMEONE ELSE to pick up the tab for them. Of course the way the fat man rocks in NJ if those parasites aren't careful lots of those millionaires will move to NJ and that means the teat suckers are going to have less and less.

    if someone is not willing to pay the same rates as the rich, they have absolutely no credibility to demand others pay a higher rate



  3. #3
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Did someone say the rallies arent making a difference ?


    The push for a higher tax on New Yorkers making more than $1 million a year is getting fresh life with a new poll showing overwhelming support, a high-profile rally on Monday and the strengthening Occupy Wall Street protest in New York City

    The Siena College poll found 72% of New York voters support the tax to avoid further budget cuts. Just 26% oppose the proposal by powerful Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.


    N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.
    Classic liberalism.....shoot the Golden Goose and whine about the lack of Golden Eggs. Go ahead NY, create a huge incentive to get successful people to live and do business in another state. Brilliant.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  4. #4
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    another narrative could be that the folks who can are being asked to help their country in a time of need. We are kind of in a crisis and all.

    ymmv
    I may be wrong.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is typical of the parasite mentality. everyone wants SOMEONE ELSE to pick up the tab for them. Of course the way the fat man rocks in NJ if those parasites aren't careful lots of those millionaires will move to NJ and that means the teat suckers are going to have less and less.

    if someone is not willing to pay the same rates as the rich, they have absolutely no credibility to demand others pay a higher rate

    so the man with 4 houses and 3 boats who inherited his wealth should pay the same as the 9-6 7 days a weeks middle class who has to rent?

  6. #6
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    Does the tax code identify the number of houses or boats or whether you inheritied your wealth as your filing status?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    another narrative could be that the folks who can are being asked to help their country in a time of need. We are kind of in a crisis and all.

    ymmv
    Taxing the rich more is nothing more than giving a junkie one more fix. We need to get off the over spending drug.

  8. #8
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    another narrative could be that the folks who can are being asked to help their country in a time of need. We are kind of in a crisis and all.

    ymmv
    most conservatives would note that merely jacking up taxes on the rich only encourages those who pander to the non-rich to use that hike to justify more SPENDING to buy more votes

    others would correctly note that making a small group responsible for "helping the country in time of need" (in other words bailing out an irresponsible and spendthrift gaggle of scumbag politicians) encourages others to see that duty as something they don't have to shoulder

    finally, I would note that giving an addict more dope might make him feel better but its the worst thing you can do in the long run

    I am curious Simon, i have looked with interest to see where you are "conservative" and I have not been very successful finding much of that.



  9. #9
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    so the man with 4 houses and 3 boats who inherited his wealth should pay the same as the 9-6 7 days a weeks middle class who has to rent?
    why not, he doesn't get any additional benefit from the government and often gets less.

    is envy a sound basis for public policy? is the tax code designed to avenge the unlucky or the unproductive? afflicting the comfortable is a malignant mindset and it almost never comforts the afflicted



  10. #10
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: N.Y. millionaire tax gets a push from poll, Occupy Wall St.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why not, he doesn't get any additional benefit from the government and often gets less.

    is envy a sound basis for public policy? is the tax code designed to avenge the unlucky or the unproductive? afflicting the comfortable is a malignant mindset and it almost never comforts the afflicted

    has nothing to do with envy its all about equal oppourtunity! The richest of Americans mostly grew up in rich familes and had the oppourtunity to have the best education, go to the best college and come out debt free. The majority of the middle/lower class went to under funded public schools and then went to state college and came out with 20k plus in student debt which takes years to pay off and prevents them from spending which in turn would benefit the country. The upper class benefited and still are benefiting from the captalist system and it's only fair that they pay some back and allow our children to have a fighting chance.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •