Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 140

Thread: Obama pulls plug on part of health overhaul law

  1. #21
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Administration Dismantles Significant Piece of Obamacare

    And so it goes. The numbers couldn't be made to work so it was jettisoned. Great. No one ever claimed that the HCR bill was a perfect diamond that, once cut to shape, could never be altered. It's an immensely complicated bill that will obviously require adjustments over time. Baby ... bath water. Don't confuse the two.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #22
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Administration Dismantles Significant Piece of Obamacare

    CLASS was always intended to be a fraud on the public. This was a major "cost savings" that nobody expected to actually come true....much like all of the other fraudulent aspects of BOCare. We have only just begun to see the epic disaster this fraudulent POS legislation truly is. We need to convene a political Death Panel, just like the one in BOCare, and its first order of business should be to kill BOCare.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  3. #23
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Administration Dismantles Significant Piece of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    CLASS was always intended to be a fraud on the public. This was a major "cost savings" that nobody expected to actually come true....much like all of the other fraudulent aspects of BOCare. We have only just begun to see the epic disaster this fraudulent POS legislation truly is. We need to convene a political Death Panel, just like the one in BOCare, and its first order of business should be to kill BOCare.
    CBO estimated that CLASS would lower short-term deficits but that it would increase deficits in the long term, so it was of course never claimed to be "a major 'cost savings'". Typical BS.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #24
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Obama pulls plug on part of health overhaul law

    CLASS was a voluntary insurance plan to help provide long-term care for the elderly and infirm. The bill required that the trust fund be solvent over a 75-year period. Not enough people signed up (funded) for it to be solvent over that period of time.

    Why didn't people sign up? It would have been less expensive than private long-term care policies. Publicity? How many people knew about it? It was not funded to be marketed adequately. People not have enough extra income to spend for something 30 years down the road? People not have any income to spend for something 30 years down the road? All of the above?

    Before the bill passed the CBO predicted 5% of the population would sign up, the CMS actuary said 2.5%, and AAA (American Academy of Actuaries) said 6%. About 5% of Americans currently have private long-term-care insurance.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  5. #25
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama pulls plug on part of health overhaul law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Health care reform was debated for like a year. I read the entire bill in one day. If you think it was passed "in a hurry," I just don't know what to tell you. The GOP had plenty of opportunity for input. They didn't offer solutions, they offered NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. If you think that the GOP's motivation for resistance had anything to do with the content of the bill, you're delusional. They said from (before) day 1 that their first priority was to make sure Obama didn't get reelected. In the middle of the worst recession in modern history, their first priority wasn't to govern, it was to win.
    Duece can read 2,000 page bills in a mere day. He is: SUPER BILL READER!

    I think this post right here, effectively seals his reputation.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #26
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama pulls plug on part of health overhaul law

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    CLASS was a voluntary insurance plan to help provide long-term care for the elderly and infirm. The bill required that the trust fund be solvent over a 75-year period. Not enough people signed up (funded) for it to be solvent over that period of time.

    Why didn't people sign up? It would have been less expensive than private long-term care policies. Publicity? How many people knew about it? It was not funded to be marketed adequately. People not have enough extra income to spend for something 30 years down the road? People not have any income to spend for something 30 years down the road? All of the above?

    Before the bill passed the CBO predicted 5% of the population would sign up, the CMS actuary said 2.5%, and AAA (American Academy of Actuaries) said 6%. About 5% of Americans currently have private long-term-care insurance.
    The problem with the program, ironically, was the lack of a mandate. No one in his right mind would sign up for the insurance until he really needed it. Thus, there wouldn't be a big enough pool to cover benefits.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  7. #27
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,995
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama pulls plug on part of health overhaul law

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The problem with the program, ironically, was the lack of a mandate. No one in his right mind would sign up for the insurance until he really needed it. Thus, there wouldn't be a big enough pool to cover benefits.
    Which is, for all intents and purposes, socialism. Now class, what is socialism called when it's forced, or mandated, onto a population?

  8. #28
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama pulls plug on part of health overhaul law

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Which is, for all intents and purposes, socialism. Now class, what is socialism called when it's forced, or mandated, onto a population?
    I suggest you look up the actual definition of socialism instead of using it as a generic term for everything you don't like.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    02-23-12 @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    791

    Re: Obama pulls plug on part of health overhaul law

    Considering that Obamacare was nothing, but a re-hashed Republican bill from the early 90's, it was doomed to fail.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: Administration Dismantles Significant Piece of Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Yeah. Hopefully we'll get a much better single-payer system implemented soon.
    it won't be soon, but my guess is that it's heading that way eventually. private, employment-based programs are becoming an unaffordable solution for more and more Americans each year. recently, i became one of them.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •