Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 179

Thread: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    I cannot imagine that they have not arrested anyone in LA.
    Does the problem still exist? Is it better than a decade ago or worse? Should we use the same arguments the one term Marxist president Obama used to send special operators to Africa to determine whether or not to send them to California?

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by A.Pearce View Post
    "President Obama is sending about 100 U.S. troops to central Africa to help local forces battle the Lord's Resistance Army, a rebel group that the administration says has waged a campaign of murder, rape and kidnapping for more than two decades."

    I'm okay with this sort of operation, provided we don't stay if it devolves into full-blown war. U.S. Special Forces do this kinds of operations on a pretty regular basis. It's different than sending an invasion force, for example, but it's not that far away. So we have to be careful not to let it cross that line.
    Why are you okay with sending valuable American troops into a place we have no national interests? If we do have national interests there what are they? Would you go if it is all that important?

  3. #123
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Does the problem still exist? Is it better than a decade ago or worse? Should we use the same arguments the one term Marxist president Obama used to send special operators to Africa to determine whether or not to send them to California?
    And you think that Southern California and Central Africa are environments similar enough and have problems that similar enough to one another that they should have identical solutions? Do you honestly think that? Or are you just posturing to make a point?
    I may be wrong.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Go back to school (or go to school in the first place) and actually learn what that word means.

    Because it doesn't mean what you think it does.
    Of course it does. And what does going to school have to do with it? Do you plan to tell me that your masters degree is better than mine? Awesome. Or will you tell me that your twenty years of work in the intelligence field where the opposing force couched everything in terms of Marxism-Leninism is superior to my work in the intelligence field?

    Why is it that some of you are so narrow in your outlook that if something does not exactly fit the mold you cannot see it. Perhaps your education was partial. Not mine.

  5. #125
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I do not dispute that stories began to crop up like weeds after a rainstorm. Please point to me your concern six months ago. Four months ago. Three months ago...Uh-huh. I believe you just love jumping on the Marxist's bandwagon.
    Here I am drawing attention to the LRA back in February:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No, there are terrorist groups in non-Muslim countries that have the same problems with poverty and a weak state. Uganda has the Lord's Resistance Army, Sri Lanka had the Tamil Tigers until recently, etc. Depending on your definition of what a "terrorist" is, we can expand it out further. Haiti has gangs of thugs that roam the streets, etc.
    Here I am saying roughly the same thing about two years ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Poor non-Islamic states with weak governments generally don't produce terrorism of the global variety, but they most certainly produce their share of crime and domestic terrorism. Think about the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, FARC in Colombia, the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda, etc.
    I am sorry that you didn't know who the LRA was until last week because you never bothered to find out. I'm not here to do your homework for you; there are 42 threads on this forum where someone mentions the LRA by name (40 of which preceded this story about Obama sending troops), and another 8 mentioning Joseph Kony by name (6 of which preceded this story). Run the search yourself if you don't believe me. And I suggest you learn more about the LRA, and don't assume that everyone else is just as ignorant simply because YOU hadn't heard of them prior to this week.

    Sure they did. And there were not other parties except them? Awesome.
    The LRA is not the only group like this in lawless parts of Central Africa, but they are by far the most prolific and brutal.

    If so, why hasn't it been done?
    I don't know. This thread isn't about gangs in LA, and frankly I don't give a ****. This thread is about the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-16-11 at 06:19 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    And you think that Southern California and Central Africa are environments similar enough and have problems that similar enough to one another that they should have identical solutions? Do you honestly think that? Or are you just posturing to make a point?
    Do we have a greater national interest in destroying the Mexican gangs in California or destroying some thugs no one has ever heard of nor cares about is some place where we seemingly have no national interest?

  7. #127
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Do we have a greater national interest in destroying the Mexican gangs in California or destroying some thugs no one has ever heard of nor cares about is some place where we seemingly have no national interest?
    I am not actually sure how this question relates to the question I asked. I assume that it's rhetorical.
    I may be wrong.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Here I am drawing attention to the LRA back in February:
    Here I am saying roughly the same thing about two years ago:
    Okay. You are an exception to the rule.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I am sorry that you didn't know who the LRA was until last week because you never bothered to find out. I'm not here to do your homework for you; there are 42 threads on this forum where someone mentions the LRA by name (40 of which preceded this story about Obama sending troops), and another 8 mentioning Joseph Kony by name (6 of which preceded this story). Run the search yourself if you don't believe me. And I suggest you learn more about the LRA, and don't assume that everyone else is just as ignorant simply because YOU hadn't heard of them prior to this week.
    Nor do I care that no one (except you) has heard of them before last week. Neither the one term Marxist president Obama nor you have told us what the US national interest is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The LRA is not the only group like this in lawless parts of Central Africa, but they are by far the most prolific and brutal.
    Therefore, what? Should we expend our treasure and our military to police Africa?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I don't know. This thread isn't about gangs in LA, and frankly I don't give a ****. This thread is about the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda.
    Perhaps you are not American. Liberals cannot stand to use the US military to secure our actual national interests but have no problem whatever sending Americans to places where we have no interests.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    I am not actually sure how this question relates to the question I asked. I assume that it's rhetorical.
    Do you believe environments have to be similar in the externals, (geography, climate,) but national interest has no bearing on where and why we spend American treasure, and possibly American blood?

  10. #130
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama Sends U.S. Troops to Central Africa to Aid Campaign Against Rebel Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Nor do I care that no one (except you) has heard of them before last week. Neither the one term Marxist president Obama nor you have told us what the US national interest is.
    There isn't a national interest. The interest is in being able to stop brutality against other human beings at very little cost.

    Therefore, what? Should we expend our treasure and our military to police Africa?
    In some situations, yes. This being one of them.

    Perhaps you are not American. Liberals cannot stand to use the US military to secure our actual national interests but have no problem whatever sending Americans to places where we have no interests.
    Every military endeavor should require a cost/benefit analysis. In some humanitarian missions, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives (e.g. fighting the LRA, peacekeeping in Sierra Leone, the intervention in Rwanda that unfortunately never happened). In others, the negatives outweigh the positives (e.g. Somalia). The same is true for missions that are more about our national interests than humanitarianism, although they tend to be on a much grander scale...sometimes the positives outweigh the negatives (e.g. World War II, arguably Korea, arguably Desert Storm) and other times they don't (e.g. Vietnam, Afghanistan after the first few months, Iraq II).
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-16-11 at 06:39 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •