Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 206

Thread: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

  1. #101
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Has EVERYTHING to do with it.

    Rights are not absolute.

    How does that not apply to the conversation?

    One of their primary issues is getting money out of politics.

    Which is dismissed as being an infringement of free speech.

    EVERY SINGLE law being "broken" by the protesters places a reasonable limit on free expression.

    If speech is absolutely sacrosanct, they should be able to express themselves however they see fit. Wherever they want. Even on public property.

    That's ridiculous. Everybody knows it is.

    There are MANY reasonable limits ALREADY in place that limit free speech and assembly.

    All of these limits establish precedent for limitations of free speech rights.

    Including campaign contributions.
    This isn't about campaign contributions, this is about people being asked to leave from private property. Your point fails.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #102
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    So you're a Tory, then.

    An opponent of those colonial criminals who commited treason against the king?
    No, I'm a constitutionalist, you have rights until you use them to interfere with others rights, that is where they end. Deflect much?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #103
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.

    The property damage to the public land can be fixed. I'd rather pay to clean up afterwards than to disassemble assembly and protest rights. Those are far too important to waste on petty arguments like littering.
    Russel Simmons offered to pay whatever it took to clean the park to the owners standards.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #104
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    This isn't about campaign contributions, this is about people being asked to leave from private property. Your point fails.
    Except, said "private property" operate under "public property" laws. So, I'm afraid your point fails.

    Again, they could be evicted under "public property" laws because camping is forbidden in NYC parks, but if they attempt to use "private property" law to evict them, they open a can of worms that would affect a total of 503 such spaces in the city.

  5. #105
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Except, said "private property" operate under "public property" laws. So, I'm afraid your point fails.

    Again, they could be evicted under "public property" laws because camping is forbidden in NYC parks, but if they attempt to use "private property" law to evict them, they open a can of worms that would affect a total of 503 such spaces in the city.
    They have the responsibility to maintain the property which is not able to be done because of the squatters, my point very much stands. Also this was a point addressed to a poster interjecting an unrelated subject so my point very much stands.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #106
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Brokers still have to go through agencies that issue loans under the regulatory auhority, Brokers are client representatives not independent lenders.
    You stated that the CRA forced banks to make bad loans yet the majority of bad loans originated outside of CRA jurisdiction.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    This isn't about campaign contributions, this is about people being asked to leave from private property. Your point fails.
    People who are protesting excessive campaign contributions.

    Exercising their rights to free speech and assembly in a public space.

    I know you don't LIKE that I'm drawing this comparison, but it doesn't make my point irrelevant to the thread.

    Its PERFECTLY relevant.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #108
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    You stated that the CRA forced banks to make bad loans yet the majority of bad loans originated outside of CRA jurisdiction.
    The loans don't originate at the broker, the broker finds the lenders that are the closest fit to the client, the loan still originates at the lender which is under the CRA jurisdiction.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #109
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    People who are protesting excessive campaign contributions.

    Exercising their rights to free speech and assembly in a public space.

    I know you don't LIKE that I'm drawing this comparison, but it doesn't make my point irrelevant to the thread.

    Its PERFECTLY relevant.
    Whatever you say.............
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #110
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Occupy Wall Street protesters refuse to leave for park cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    They have the responsibility to maintain the property which is not able to be done because of the squatters, my point very much stands. Also this was a point addressed to a poster interjecting an unrelated subject so my point very much stands.
    But they are merely impacting the private entity's ability to maintain part of its agreement with the city, which probably doesn't give them the right to "evict" in the way that private property law would give them the same right.

    Again, it appears, legally, the only way to evict them is for the city to evict them for "camping". However, that even comes into question if any structure is taken down. Loitering laws explicitly state that loitering is only forbidden if loitering is for illegal purposes (i.e. drug deals, prostitution, etc.), thus they're loitering isn't strictly forbidden.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •