Page 39 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 1961

Thread: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

  1. #381
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,299

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    So, instead of keeping our cities streets safe from crime - because as we all know once the economy begins to faulter, the crime rate esculates - you'd rather not provide the States any aid to keep cops on the beat?

    Look, I totally understand your point and Conservative's on this "State's rights" matter, but if the states are just barely starting to get their financial houses in order, why would you be opposed providing them with the financial aid they need to continue to protect and serve the public's interest?

    As for the call to cut spending, I'd say trimming an initial $1.5T over 10-years is a damned good start; and the President has asked for more...upwards of another $3.5T. You can find the President's Deficit Reduction Plan at Whitehouse.gov.
    Glad you believe in states' rights however you never answered the question as to why your taxdollars shouldd go to short term stop gap spending in another city in another state?

    You claim that Obama has proposed for more than 1.5 trillion in cuts,where is that specific proposal? Cutting 1.5 trillion or more over 10 years is 150 billion off a 3.7 trillion dollar budget, a drop in the bucket. Why do you buy Obama rhetoric?

  2. #382
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Two Dems voted with Republicans against bringing the bill to the floor.

    Two more Dems, Minchin of West Virginia and Webb of Virginia, along with Independent Joe Lieberman, voted to bring the bill to the floor but said they would vote against it.

    The bill never had a chance because Dems were not united behind it.
    The bill never had a change because 47 Republicans - the entirety of Senate Republicans - were dead set on voting against it!!! It wouldn't have mattered if all 53 Democrats voted for the plan; they'd still need atleast 8 Republicans to vote with them.

    Stop being disingenuous about this vote.

  3. #383
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The bill never had a change because 47 Republicans - the entirety of Senate Republicans - were dead set on voting against it!!! It wouldn't have mattered if all 53 Democrats voted for the plan; they'd still need atleast 8 Republicans to vote with them.

    Stop being disingenuous about this vote.
    The bill would have passed if Reid had brought the bill to the floor as requested by McConnell AND if all of the Democrats had voted for it. Republicans could not have stopped it.

    Those are the facts, however inconvenient they are.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  4. #384
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Glad you believe in states' rights however you never answered the question as to why your taxdollars shouldd go to short term stop gap spending in another city in another state?
    Reading comprehension, dude...see my post #380 which you obviously causually clanced over. But I'm make it very plain for you why I'd support this measure...

    I'm a patriot; I believe in rendering aid to my country where I can. It's really no different than sending firefighters to another state in crisis, i.e., the forrest fires in CA, AZ and TX. If a governor from another state requests assistance, I'd think those states that can send reinforcements (firefighters and equipment) would do so. Same should apply if the President deems it necessary to send federal aid to the states to supplement public employees or public works projects. Why? "General welfare of the country..." Everyone benefits if our teachers, firefighters and local/state law enforcement can continue to do their civic duties.

    You claim that Obama has proposed for more than 1.5 trillion in cuts, where is that specific proposal?
    Again, see my previous post...

    Cutting 1.5 trillion or more over 10 years is 150 billion off a 3.7 trillion dollar budget, a drop in the bucket. Why do you buy Obama rhetoric?
    Because it's a good first step in a long-term process. You have to start somewhere, right? Especially, since you Conservative Republicans continue to argue that spending cuts as promised in the past never came to be. You can't make that claim currently; you can only look back after the next 10-12 years and see if the cuts actually took place. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the man is trying to do what he believes is right for the country and leading experts properly vet his proposals, i.e., OMB, CBO, economist, even Congress!, I can support his initiatives.

  5. #385
    User neocon1225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Georiga
    Last Seen
    09-22-12 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    86

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    So, instead of keeping our cities streets safe from crime - because as we all know once the economy begins to faulter, the crime rate esculates - you'd rather not provide the States any aid to keep cops on the beat?

    Look, I totally understand your point and Conservative's on this "State's rights" matter, but if the states are just barely starting to get their financial houses in order, why would you be opposed providing them with the financial aid they need to continue to protect and serve the public's interest?

    As for the call to cut spending, I'd say trimming an initial $1.5T over 10-years is a damned good start; and the President has asked for more...upwards of another $3.5T. You can find the President's Deficit Reduction Plan at Whitehouse.gov.
    When does it stop though? Two years after Stimulus1 we're still in a hole and our President is offering the same exact thing (except half the size) that didn't work the first time. We're at a point where we can't spend our way out this hole. The problem with stop gap measures is it just delays reality a little bit longer. I understand local and state governments are broke, when the federal government money runs out the states are still broke. We're trying to take aspirin to cure a cancer, it's not going to work, if we're going to provide relief money to the states I want it to come with some strings attached. Until we address the inherent problems in our tax code, and we do something address our addiction to spending and debt I don't want any "stimulus" spending.

    I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of infrastructure spending and very moderate and limited aid to the states, but I oppose at this point because of where we are in this country. We have leaders in Washington, on both sides of the aisle, who aren't serious at all about fiscal restraint and sanity and just want to spend spend spend or offer up small inadequate proposals. We need a restructuring of the tax system, along with a budget that shows that we're serious about lowering spending and reducing the deficit and the debt and then we can maybe look at other issues. But right now, with where we're at as a country, and the man we have in the White House, I know this "jobs" "plan" is a bridge to nowhere that I refuse to support.
    America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
    -Oscar Wilde

  6. #386
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The bill never had a change because 47 Republicans - the entirety of Senate Republicans - were dead set on voting against it!!! It wouldn't have mattered if all 53 Democrats voted for the plan; they'd still need atleast 8 Republicans to vote with them.

    Stop being disingenuous about this vote.
    I stand corrected; I quickly forgot it was a procedural vote, not an actually vote on the bill itself...

    That's what happens when the debate gets so emotionally heavy...it's too easy to lose focus.

    Carry on...

  7. #387
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,299

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Objective Voice;1059879909]Reading comprehension, dude...see my post #380 which you obviously causually clanced over. But I'm make it very plain for you why I'd support this measure...

    I'm a patriot; I believe in rendering aid to my country where I can. It's really no different than sending firefighters to another state in crisis, i.e., the forrest fires in CA, AZ and TX. If a governor from another state requests assistance, I'd think those states that can send reinforcements (firefighters and equipment) would do so. Same should apply if the President deems it necessary to send federal aid to the states to supplement public employees or public works projects. Why? "General welfare of the country..." Everyone benefits if our teachers, firefighters and local/state law enforcement can continue to do their civic duties.
    If you believe in benefiting the country why would you promote sending your money to the politicians that created the 14.8 trillion dollar debt we have today? Why not send your money directly to the states then instead of to the Federal Govt. so they can send it where they want? Sounds like a very naive approach to me for what makes you think that the Federal Govt. has any idea what the real problems are in your state or any other?


    Again, see my previous post...

    Because it's a good first step in a long-term process. You have to start somewhere, right? Especially, since you Conservative Republicans continue to argue that spending cuts as promised in the past never came to be. You can't make that claim currently; you can only look back after the next 10-12 years and see if the cuts actually took place. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the man is trying to do what he believes is right for the country and leading experts properly vet his proposals, i.e., OMB, CBO, economist, even Congress!, I can support his initiatives.
    A good first step? It isn't a positive step at all,, the budgets being cut are record budgets. If you have to start somewhere then why not with the 2008 baseline instead of the record budgets of today? How many failures does this President have to have before you hold him to a different standard?

  8. #388
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by neocon1225 View Post
    When does it stop though? Two years after Stimulus1 we're still in a hole and our President is offering the same exact thing (except half the size) that didn't work the first time.
    But it did work! Teachers, police and firefighters were able to stay on the job until just last year. I consider that a win for the states and for the country.

    We're at a point where we can't spend our way out this hole.
    Considering that private sector job growth has on the rise even after the Census workers were removed from the numbers before things went to hell with the debt limit negotiations, I'd say federal jobs spending was working quite well and would have ended once the nation began to see sustainable job growth. I mean, look at what's happened since late-July/early August? Private sector job growth has come to a complete stand-still. And where is the free market system? Where is big business? Has the private sector stepped forward to pickup where federal spending has ceased? THIS IS THE FOOLISHNESS PEOPLE WHO THINK AS YOU AND CONSERVATIVE DO DON'T TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION!!!

    The private sector is still hurting, but you guys refuse to see it!!! Look at what the banks are doing...charging fees...still trying to recoup their loses. Yes, it's in part due to a Dodd-Frank ruling on bank fees (I forget the exact portion of the legislation the new bank fee rules apply to), but must they try doing this now when the economy is still soft? C'mon!!!

    The problem with stop gap measures is it just delays reality a little bit longer.
    OR it provides the states with a buffle while a better other long-term initiatives come online that spurs real job growth. Just depends on your perspective. You can either remain partisan and have a short-sighted point of view or you can try to see the big picture and the long-term view. Your choice. I prefer the latter.

    I understand local and state governments are broke, when the federal government money runs out the states are still broke. We're trying to take aspirin to cure a cancer, it's not going to work, if we're going to provide relief money to the states I want it to come with some strings attached. Until we address the inherent problems in our tax code, and we do something address our addiction to spending and debt I don't want any "stimulus" spending.

    I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of infrastructure spending and very moderate and limited aid to the states, but I oppose at this point because of where we are in this country. We have leaders in Washington, on both sides of the aisle, who aren't serious at all about fiscal restraint and sanity and just want to spend spend spend or offer up small inadequate proposals. We need a restructuring of the tax system, along with a budget that shows that we're serious about lowering spending and reducing the deficit and the debt and then we can maybe look at other issues. But right now, with where we're at as a country, and the man we have in the White House, I know this "jobs" "plan" is a bridge to nowhere that I refuse to support.
    I understand your concerns, but tax reform takes time. I doubt it get done any time soon even if Obama isn't re-elected. But if that's your biggest opposition to short-term stimulus spending, you really do need to come out of your partisan bubble.

  9. #389
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    If you believe in benefiting the country why would you promote sending your money to the politicians that created the 14.8 trillion dollar debt we have today? Why not send your money directly to the states then instead of to the Federal Govt. so they can send it where they want? Sounds like a very naive approach to me for what makes you think that the Federal Govt. has any idea what the real problems are in your state or any other?
    Last response because I've wasted enough time on you today.

    Under normal circumstances, my tax dollars go where they need to go automatically. Taxes come out of my pay regularly, and if it's determined that I didn't pay enough (as apparently it has for the last 9 yrs per my state tax claims anyway), I pay accordingly. In times of national crisis, I don't have a problem paying more because the country as a whole needs the help.

    We are the United States of America, not just Texas, Kansas, Ohio, Indiana or Alabama. When the country has a national need, I have no problem with more of my tax dollars going to the Treasury for such a national calling. You might take issue with it which is your right, but I don't share that individualist attitude in times of national crisis. Now, I may take issue with how the money is spent, but that doesn't seem to be the angle from which yourself and others are coming from. YOU just don't want the federal government to spend money on the states period! regardless of the circumstances. I think that's just wrong-headed thinking.

    With that, have a good day.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 10-17-11 at 05:46 PM.

  10. #390
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Glad you believe in states' rights however you never answered the question as to why your taxdollars shouldd go to short term stop gap spending in another city in another state?

    You claim that Obama has proposed for more than 1.5 trillion in cuts,where is that specific proposal? Cutting 1.5 trillion or more over 10 years is 150 billion off a 3.7 trillion dollar budget, a drop in the bucket. Why do you buy Obama rhetoric?
    BO didn't propose a single dollar in cuts. No details, no guidance.....nada. What he propose was massive tax increases, on that subject he always details. He wanted to tax the ship out of the successful businesses and successful business owners ..... that is how he expects to increase jobs .....union jobs. Take money away from private businesses the the owners and give it to union teachers, union state government employees, etc. Nothing ever changes with the fool in the White House.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •