Page 38 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 1961

Thread: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

  1. #371
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It is rather frustrating. I wish someone could explain to me what it is about liberalism that creates this kind of loyalty where results never matter but the source for those results does? The results listed are referenced and thus verifiable. Over 4.2 trillion added to the debt and over 2 million jobs lost. That somehow is ignored by liberals.
    Yep, I noticed that she didn't bother refuting any of the facts in the article.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  2. #372
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It is rather frustrating. I wish someone could explain to me what it is about liberalism that creates this kind of loyalty where results never matter but the source for those results does? The results listed are referenced and thus verifiable. Over 4.2 trillion added to the debt and over 2 million jobs lost. That somehow is ignored by liberals.
    the main reason i didn't read it? your post. you posted that obama demonzies the wealthy, instead of leading with maybe a fact or 2 from the link. a very partisan post. results DO matter, i'm just not stupid enough to believe that all of our problems could be solved in 3 years. it took much longer than that for these problems to become critical. and quite frankly, you are the most single minded poster here, do you have stock in the bls?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #373
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    the main reason i didn't read it? your post. you posted that obama demonzies the wealthy, instead of leading with maybe a fact or 2 from the link. a very partisan post. results DO matter, i'm just not stupid enough to believe that all of our problems could be solved in 3 years. it took much longer than that for these problems to become critical. and quite frankly, you are the most single minded poster here, do you have stock in the bls?
    Do you actually deny that Obama demonizes wealthy people ?????

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  4. #374
    User neocon1225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, Georiga
    Last Seen
    09-22-12 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    86

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    You know, even Jeb Bush said recently in an interview w/Piers Morgan that he believed the President was doing the right thing concerning his focus on improving education in this country. If you're pushing to change the education system, why wouldn't you push to protect jobs for teachers?

    Crime has been on the rise since the economy has stagnated a few months ago. Wouldn't you think it's smart to keep police on the job?

    Put simply, Stimulus 1 helped keep teachers, police and firefighters on the job because the States couldn't afford to. I see nothing wrong with providing more short-term federal funding - Stimulus 2 - to do the same while also providing incentives for State and federal governments to form public-private partnerships to spur job growth and prop up local/state economies. Think of it this way...

    States, especially those with Republican Governors and GOP majority legislatures, have worked hard to bring their budgets into balance and reduce waste, etc., etc. If they're finally getting their spending on track but just need alittle bit more of a cushion, why not provide that push at the federal level? It worked once for teachers, firefighters and police to keep them employed, why shouldn't it work again?



    You do realize that the President's Jobs Plan and his Deficit Reduction Plan are two separate proposals purposely designed to work together?

    The Jobs Plan is intended to spur short-term economic growth while other legislation, such as trade agreements and expediting pattents, are intended for long-term economic stability.
    The problem with Stimulus1 going to fund cops, firefighters, and teachers is that these are STATE and LOCAL responsibilities. A stimulus from the federal government is just a band aid, sure you keep a cop on the streets for another 12 months, but when those federal dollars run out, whose going to pick up the tab? Oh that's right, the federal government, again. Rinse, recycle and repeat. At some point we have to stop the bleeding and start cutting spending.
    America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
    -Oscar Wilde

  5. #375
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    the main reason i didn't read it? your post. you posted that obama demonzies the wealthy, instead of leading with maybe a fact or 2 from the link. a very partisan post. results DO matter, i'm just not stupid enough to believe that all of our problems could be solved in 3 years. it took much longer than that for these problems to become critical. and quite frankly, you are the most single minded poster here, do you have stock in the bls?
    The reason you didn't read the article is that you don't want to admit that the facts are there and you have been wrong in your support. Why couldn't the problem be fixed in 3 years with the "smartest man" ever to hold the office with overwhelming Democrat numbers in Congress in an economy that was out of recession in June 2009? How do you justify adding 4.2 trillion to the debt and losing over 2 million jobs? How do you justify another Jobs Bill without cutting spending and why do you continue to buy the lies from this Administration?

    Sorry, Liblady, but I confuse you with facts, facts that make you made but are verifiable. Single minded poster? Hardly, but I am results oriented and results matter more than rhetoric. It would give you more credibility if you took the results cited and prove those results wrong? The prescription for the economy is what Reagan did as the recessions were very similar but the difference is Reagan added 17 million jobs with a 1.7 trillion debt and Obama has a net job loss with 4.2 trillion added to the debt. Reagan had a net job gain at the end of three years in office whereas Obama has a net job loss. That is reality why are you ignoring that reality?

  6. #376
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You must be delusional if you think this bill would have passed a straight up majority vote. It never had a snowball's chance in hell of passing the Senate. Two Dem Senators voted against allowing it to be voted on and two more said they would vote against it if it was ever brought to a vote.
    And yet it received 50 out of 52 Democrat votes...enough to be a majority vote.

    Look, I'm not going to continue arguing Senate procedures with you. The bill didn't pass because 2 Dems and every Republican Senator voted against it. End of story for passing the bill out of the Senate in its full text form. I'll wait and see how Congress and the House in particular handles things from here.



    McConnell tried to get Reid to bring a straight up majority vote on the bill, but Reid refused for two reasons:

    1. He knew he didn't have 50 votes for it.
    2. He wanted a campaign issue.

    They didn't vote on the bill, they voted on cloture....
    Which is a fancy way of for saying, "Let's have a procedural vote on the proposed legislation without debating on it and see whose willing to take up the matter now or not at all."

    And like I said, two more publicly stated they would vote against it if it came up for a vote, but were willing to have it debated. If he had 50 Dems that would vote for it, he could have had his vote and passed the bill. He didn't.
    I'm sure you mean "50 solid votes in favor of the bill itself" because Reid did get 50 Senate Democrats to vote to take up the bill; Republicans simply voted in lock-step against it. But you keep on trying to convince yourself and others that this Senate measure had no Democrat support...keep telling yourself that. I'm sure in your own mind it's very true.

  7. #377
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    And yet it received 50 out of 52 Democrat votes...enough to be a majority vote.

    Look, I'm not going to continue arguing Senate procedures with you. The bill didn't pass because 2 Dems and every Republican Senator voted against it. End of story for passing the bill out of the Senate in its full text form. I'll wait and see how Congress and the House in particular handles things from here.





    Which is a fancy way of for saying, "Let's have a procedural vote on the proposed legislation without debating on it and see whose willing to take up the matter now or not at all."



    I'm sure you mean "50 solid votes in favor of the bill itself" because Reid did get 50 Senate Democrats to vote to take up the bill; Republicans simply voted in lock-step against it. But you keep on trying to convince yourself and others that this Senate measure had no Democrat support...keep telling yourself that. I'm sure in your own mind it's very true.
    Why do you support the Jobs Bill after Stimulus One failed? Why should the people of Huntsville, Alabama fund police and fire fighters along with teachers in Chicago, Illinois? Think about it. Police,, Fire,, Teachers are state and local responsibilities. Why do we have a state govt. if that becomes the role of the Federal Taxpayers?

  8. #378
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Do you actually deny that Obama demonizes wealthy people ?????
    He doesn't do it because he actually believes it, it's just for political gain. Those wealthy people are his biggest contributors and so is Wall Street, ironically enough.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #379
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I'm sure you mean "50 solid votes in favor of the bill itself" because Reid did get 50 Senate Democrats to vote to take up the bill; Republicans simply voted in lock-step against it. But you keep on trying to convince yourself and others that this Senate measure had no Democrat support...keep telling yourself that. I'm sure in your own mind it's very true.
    Two Dems voted with Republicans against bringing the bill to the floor.

    Two more Dems, Minchin of West Virginia and Webb of Virginia, along with Independent Joe Lieberman, voted to bring the bill to the floor but said they would vote against it.

    The bill never had a chance because Dems were not united behind it.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #380
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by neocon1225 View Post
    The problem with Stimulus1 going to fund cops, firefighters, and teachers is that these are STATE and LOCAL responsibilities. A stimulus from the federal government is just a band aid, sure you keep a cop on the streets for another 12 months, but when those federal dollars run out, whose going to pick up the tab? Oh that's right, the federal government, again. Rinse, recycle and repeat. At some point we have to stop the bleeding and start cutting spending.
    So, instead of keeping our cities streets safe from crime - because as we all know once the economy begins to faulter, the crime rate esculates - you'd rather not provide the States any aid to keep cops on the beat?

    Look, I totally understand your point and Conservative's on this "State's rights" matter, but if the states are just barely starting to get their financial houses in order, why would you be opposed providing them with the financial aid they need to continue to protect and serve the public's interest?

    As for the call to cut spending, I'd say trimming an initial $1.5T over 10-years is a damned good start; and the President has asked for more...upwards of another $3.5T. You can find the President's Deficit Reduction Plan at Whitehouse.gov.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •