Page 189 of 197 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 1961

Thread: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

  1. #1881
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I don't know, is she? Maybe he has met her I don't know....But I do find it rather enlightening that you seem to place emphasis on the academic pedigree, and am left wondering if that acceptance of thought would also apply to a conservative PhD who says the opposite of what you agree with ideologically?

    j-mac
    I am convinced now that you didn't read the thread. Let me sum up what happened real quick:

    Conservative: "Is that what they are teaching you in school these days?"
    Me: "This is what I am learning these days: *Posted Actuary Math problem*"
    Conservative: "That has nothing to do with Obama. Ask your professor to explain Obama's numbers if she has a clue"
    Me: "She has a clue, she's a genius"
    Conservative: "Sounds like another book smart street stupid liberal"

    Are you caught up yet? Maybe read the thread first. And, yes, I think anyone with a PhD deserves respect (except maybe that guy on the History Channel that is always talking about aliens building the pyramids). We call them Dr. for a reason.

  2. #1882
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I am convinced now that you didn't read the thread. Let me sum up what happened real quick:

    Conservative: "Is that what they are teaching you in school these days?"
    Me: "This is what I am learning these days: *Posted Actuary Math problem*"
    Conservative: "That has nothing to do with Obama. Ask your professor to explain Obama's numbers if she has a clue"
    Me: "She has a clue, she's a genius"
    Conservative: "Sounds like another book smart street stupid liberal"

    Are you caught up yet? Maybe read the thread first. And, yes, I think anyone with a PhD deserves respect (except maybe that guy on the History Channel that is always talking about aliens building the pyramids). We call them Dr. for a reason.
    Um, ok, so Conservative (whom btw is probably the most personally attacked member of this board) decides to give a little razzing back, and that ruffles your feathers because this is your professor, and you think she is a genius....Yet, you still failed to lay out how she explains Obama's numbers. That would have been more on point instead of going down the road of derailment in favor of personal attack.

    IN any case, I prefer the common mans explanation of PhD, which usually in my experience, stands for Piled high and Deep....heh, heh....

    j-mac
    Last edited by j-mac; 10-28-11 at 03:08 PM.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #1883
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Um, ok, so Conservative (whom btw is probably the most personally attacked member of this board) decides to give a little razzing back, and that ruffles your feathers because this is your professor, and you think she is a genius....Yet, you still failed to lay out how she explains Obama's numbers. That would have been more on point instead of going down the road of derailment in favor of personal attack.

    IN any case, I prefer the common mans explanation of PhD, which usually in my experience, stands for Piled high and Deep....heh, heh....

    j-mac
    Well if Conservative would learn how to read statistics and learn basic math (he can't even double numbers correctly) then he wouldn't be "attacked." he also needs to stop copying and pasting his numbers which have been disproven.

    So you don't prefer PhDs? Because high levels of education is bad? Are you intimidated?
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  4. #1884
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Um, ok, so Conservative (whom btw is probably the most personally attacked member of this board) decides to give a little razzing back, and that ruffles your feathers because this is your professor, and you think she is a genius....Yet, you still failed to lay out how she explains Obama's numbers. That would have been more on point instead of going down the road of derailment in favor of personal attack.

    IN any case, I prefer the common mans explanation of PhD, which usually in my experience, stands for Piled high and Deep....heh, heh....

    j-mac
    I have to explain every detail of every little thing to you people. She teaches Actuary Math - that has nothing to do with Obama. She does not teach anything related to politics. She teaches me how to find spot rates, how to calculate varying annuities by hand, how to predict when someone is going to die, and how to decide the Actuarial present value of a life insurance policy. What that has to do with this conversation, I do not know - Conservative brought it up and brought her into it.

    Do I think she's a genius? Yes. She wanted to start up an Actuarial program so she started studying on her own and is 5/5 on passing tests - P/1, FM/2, C, MLC, and MFE. Look up the passing rate on those five tests and you tell me.

    *Edit to add:

    And really, you are a conservative who doesn't appreciate science and doctorates? You don't say? Oh wait, that's the base of the republican party - and it explains why all of you listen to Rush Limbaugh.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 10-28-11 at 03:17 PM.

  5. #1885
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Thanks for the numbers and the link. If you have read what I wrote in the past, you'll see that I agree that unemployment is one of our worst issues in the economy today. However, I do not think you've given Obama a fair cut at lowering it. From bls.gov:
    1981: 7.6% (when he took office, the economy was heading into the second half of a double-dip recession)
    1982: 9.7% (this is the bottom of the double dip)
    1983: 9.6% (from here things start getting better)
    1984: 7.4% (Unemployment began a strong trend downward)

    --------------------------------------

    2008: 5.8%
    2009: 9.3%
    2010: 9.6%
    Current: 9.1%

    If, within a year, Obama is able to trend unemployment down to around 7%, will you support the job he has done with the economy?
    It is all about economic policy and direction from this Administration and none of it is pro growth, pro individual wealth creation, pro free enterprise and thus destined for failure and why we have the results today vs the results someone got during economic difficulties similar to these. I will never support his style of economic policies and won't have to worry about every supporting him. He is an ideologue who doesn't have a clue how our economy works. Like far too many he hasn't held a real job thus doesn't understand how damaging his policies are for real people.
    Last edited by Conservative; 10-28-11 at 03:23 PM.

  6. #1886
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I have to explain every detail of every little thing to you people. She teaches Actuary Math - that has nothing to do with Obama. She does not teach anything related to politics. She teaches me how to find spot rates, how to calculate varying annuities by hand, how to predict when someone is going to die, and how to decide the Actuarial present value of a life insurance policy. What that has to do with this conversation, I do not know - Conservative brought it up and brought her into it.

    Do I think she's a genius? Yes. She wanted to start up an Actuarial program so she started studying on her own and is 5/5 on passing tests - P/1, FM/2, C, MLC, and MFE. Look up the passing rate on those five tests and you tell me.

    *Edit to add:

    And really, you are a conservative who doesn't appreciate science and doctorates? You don't say? Oh wait, that's the base of the republican party - and it explains why all of you listen to Rush Limbaugh.
    ME fricken OW honey...put the claws away would you? Look, you don't think that an Actuary mathematician could have anything interesting to say on, oh, I don't know, SS, Medicare, Obamacare, the debt, the deficit, long term trends on these things and more?

    Also, it isn't that I don't like PhD's, I am not one that likes people that think just because they have these alphabet designators behind their name, and are highly educated are better, or smarter than others that don't...I might not have a degree in anything, but I have lived life, and learned alot. But if you want to bow to academia that is fine for you. I tend to put more credence in those that have done, rather than those that hypothesize.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #1887
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I have to explain every detail of every little thing to you people. She teaches Actuary Math - that has nothing to do with Obama. She does not teach anything related to politics. She teaches me how to find spot rates, how to calculate varying annuities by hand, how to predict when someone is going to die, and how to decide the Actuarial present value of a life insurance policy. What that has to do with this conversation, I do not know - Conservative brought it up and brought her into it.

    Do I think she's a genius? Yes. She wanted to start up an Actuarial program so she started studying on her own and is 5/5 on passing tests - P/1, FM/2, C, MLC, and MFE. Look up the passing rate on those five tests and you tell me.

    *Edit to add:

    And really, you are a conservative who doesn't appreciate science and doctorates? You don't say? Oh wait, that's the base of the republican party - and it explains why all of you listen to Rush Limbaugh.
    You need to get out in the real world before forming your opinions on the success or failure of numbers and economic policy. You see it is about what someone accomplishes instead of what someone knows. What exactly has your professor accomplished that is of value to the world? How many jobs has your professor created? What has she addded to the GDP? If you are an example of one of her accomplishments then the jury is still out on whether or not that is a good or bad result.

    I have a college degree and spent 35 years on the street thus have book and street smarts. I actually created jobs, actually recognized and promoted people making them better than they were, I actually generated results for my community and the charities I support. I employed well over 1200 employees, hired and fired people, paid local, state and federal taxes. I worked hard, raised a very successful family and quite frankly I don't like being demonized by a community agitator or liberal college kids who believe theory is reality and reality only exists when it conforms to that theory.

    I have what is called book smarts and street smarts. When you get both you will have some credibility but in the meantime your book smarts has generated nothing nor has the Obama theories
    Last edited by Conservative; 10-28-11 at 03:31 PM.

  8. #1888
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You need to get out in the real world before forming your opinions on the success or failure of numbers and economic policy. You see it is about what someone accomplishes instead of what someone knows. What exactly has your professor accomplished that is of value to the world? How many jobs has your professor created? What has she addded to the GDP? If you are an example of one of her accomplishments then the jury is still out on whether or not that is a good or bad result.

    I have a college degree and spent 35 years on the street thus have book and street smarts. I actually created jobs, actually recognized and promoted people making them better than they were, I actually generated results for my community and the charities I support. I employed well over 1200 employees, hired and fired people, paid local, state and federal taxes. I worked hard, raised a very successful family and quite frankly I don't like being demonized by a community agitator or liberal college kids who believe theory is reality and reality only exists when it conforms to that theory.

    I have what is called book smarts and street smarts. When you get both you will have some credibility but in the meantime your book smarts has generated nothing nor has the Obama theories
    You have book smarts and you can't understand adjusting for inflation or cumulative data? Look, I am not going to argue with a guy who has 30 years of outside sales about outside sales. That would be dumb. But you aren't that guy. You don't have 30 years of experience studying economic data and you clearly don't have the book smarts either. I don't know what kind of business you are in and I don't care, but you're right, when it comes to that business, there is not much I could argue with you about it - nor would I try. But just because you are older doesn't make you smarter, nor better informed than I am in the realm of politics or economics.

    So don't try to pull some nonsense seniority on me like I am going to just bow out and go away. If you want me to go away, you'll have to actually prove you know something and win through logical arguments. Until then, you can keep posting bunk data and I'll keep providing the correct context for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It is all about economic policy and direction from this Administration and none of it is pro growth, pro individual wealth creation, pro free enterprise and thus destined for failure and why we have the results today vs the results someone got during economic difficulties similar to these. I will never support his style of economic policies and won't have to worry about every supporting him. He is an ideologue who doesn't have a clue how our economy works. Like far too many he hasn't held a real job thus doesn't understand how damaging his policies are for real people.
    So you don't care about the numbers then? Why are you posting data if the data does not matter to you? Why not just say "I am a republican and he is a democrat so I will not only never vote for him but I will never support him". That would be far more honest than the front that you put on this thread where you pretend to understand numbers and care about them. Clearly you don't, because every time I provide context (such as unemployment took 3 years under Reagan to stabilize and Obama has not had that much time) you change the subject.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 10-28-11 at 03:46 PM.

  9. #1889
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    ME fricken OW honey...put the claws away would you? Look, you don't think that an Actuary mathematician could have anything interesting to say on, oh, I don't know, SS, Medicare, Obamacare, the debt, the deficit, long term trends on these things and more?

    Also, it isn't that I don't like PhD's, I am not one that likes people that think just because they have these alphabet designators behind their name, and are highly educated are better, or smarter than others that don't...I might not have a degree in anything, but I have lived life, and learned alot. But if you want to bow to academia that is fine for you. I tend to put more credence in those that have done, rather than those that hypothesize.

    j-mac
    No, I don't think she'd like to discuss politics or have much of an opinion on them. As far as respect for the title of PhD, it's funny you'd say you don't have much respect for them considering the conservative mantra that hard-working people are better than everyone else, and there no is better measure of hard work than attaining a PhD. All a PhD says is "this person has spent thousands of hours looking at one topic and knows a lot about it". It doesn't mean they are right or better, it is conservatives who seem to like to put the tag of "better" and "worse" onto people, but that the person in question is knowledgeable on the subject.

    Comparing experience to a PhD is difficult, because they are rarely in the same field. Yeah, you and Conservative have lived life and gained experience, but that doesn't mean you can argue with someone who has a PhD is Biomechanics. The two do not mesh. On the same token, just because Conservative has run a small business for many years, that does not make him able to read economic data or argue policy. Does anyone know more about how to run his business? No, probably not many, but I don't see anyone here arguing with him about that.

    And yes, anyone who points out the obvious logical flaws in your argument (and your inability to even read 1 page of the thread before commenting) is clearly "catty".
    Last edited by whysoserious; 10-28-11 at 03:57 PM.

  10. #1890
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post

    Comparing experience to a PhD is difficult, because they are rarely in the same field. Yeah, you and Conservative have lived life and gained experience, but that doesn't mean you can argue with someone who has a PhD is Biomechanics. The two do not mesh. On the same token, just because Conservative has run a small business for many years, that does not make him able to read economic data or argue policy. Does anyone know more about how to run his business? No, probably not many, but I don't see anyone here arguing with him about that.

    And yes, anyone who points out the obvious logical flaws in your argument (and your inability to even read 1 page of the thread before commenting) is clearly "catty".
    He was in human resources for a corporation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •