Page 184 of 197 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1961

Thread: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

  1. #1831
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,005

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Link to it. Being that I'm bouncing around reading various threads I honestly don't know what post you made that you are referring to.

    For Gods sake, pick something to discuss other than me and how you don't like me and/or librulz.
    :facepalm

    Lord knows I tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #1832
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    The Shah was a nightmare already.
    Oh indeed. The secret police and Iron Fist was pretty horrific. It wasn't any surprise that there were multiple uprisings. But as I understand it, the Shah's secret police never came close to the kind of sheer brutality practiced routinely by the Gestapo. The Shah could have held on longer if he had went full of "Kill them all." It's interesting watching people like Misterveritis criticize Carter when he doesn't even understand what would have been necessary to keep the Shah in power. Hell, why don't we just go all King Leopold on them (I doubt Misterveritis will get that)? It's amazing to watch some people inadvertently argue for extreme brutality upon people simply wishing for freedom.

    I bet Misterveritis supports Assad's massacre of unarmed civilians in Syria right now.

    He was an iron fist for sure on his people which is why there was a revolution there. But you're right. Dude doesn't have any concept of the background of that crisis. Shah was dying of cancer and got run out while he was seeking cancer treatment in the US. The reason they held that against the US is because we refused to hand over the Shah to the Iranians for basically... execution.
    Well, most of the partisan extremists really don't have a grasp on anything of substance anyways. Misterveritis blaming Carter while he ignores how the CIA overthrew a democratically elected leader and the lack of freedoms Iranians had under the Shah is a sign of why people should actually seek to understand topics before opening their mouths.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #1833
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Well, most of the partisan extremists really don't have a grasp on anything of substance anyways. Misterveritis blaming Carter while he ignores how the CIA overthrew a democratically elected leader and the lack of freedoms Iranians had under the Shah is a sign of why people should actually seek to understand topics before opening their mouths.
    Mossadegh had assumed emergency powers, the same way Kadaffi and Mubarack had and was becoming very close friends with the Soviets. He was on his way to becoming a dictator and was just asking to be ousted by the Allies, when one consider's the atmosphere of the time period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #1834
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Mossadegh had assumed emergency powers, the same way Kadaffi and Mubarack had and was becoming very close friends with the Soviets.
    How exactly did he use them the same way as those two? You mean by systematically stripping the Monarchy of power and giving it to the Democratic institutions? Oh wait. That didn't happen in their cases.

    Essentially the CIA overthrew him because Iran was leaving the West's sphere of influence. That was well before Carter.

    He was on his way to becoming a dictator and was just asking to be ousted by the Allies, when one consider's the atmosphere of the time period.
    Because you say so? Actually he was removing the powers of the Monarchy to act as Dictator. You drink the kool-aid way too much.

    He was removed simply because Iran was moving towards the Soviets. Not because he was a dictator or was becoming one. How does it look when your nation overthrows a popular democratic figure because you dislike his policies? What kind of dictator gives away land to the people in a way that doesn't increase his own wealth or power much less staying power?

    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out with that kind of intervention by the West and the subsequent crack downs by the Shah that the people would eventually go into open Rebellion. By the time Carter arrived on stage, the Shah was counting down his time.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #1835
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    How exactly did he use them the same way as those two? You mean by systematically stripping the Monarchy of power and giving it to the Democratic institutions? Oh wait. That didn't happen in their cases.

    Essentially the CIA overthrew him because Iran was leaving the West's sphere of influence. That was well before Carter.



    Because you say so? Actually he was removing the powers of the Monarchy to act as Dictator. You drink the kool-aid way too much.

    He was removed simply because Iran was moving towards the Soviets. Not because he was a dictator or was becoming one. How does it look when your nation overthrows a popular democratic figure because you dislike his policies? What kind of dictator gives away land to the people in a way that doesn't increase his own wealth or power much less staying power?

    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out with that kind of intervention by the West and the subsequent crack downs by the Shah that the people would eventually go into open Rebellion. By the time Carter arrived on stage, the Shah was counting down his time.
    That was the primary reason, no doubt. But, Mossadegh was definitely installing himself as dictator. He had dissolved parliament and assume emergency power to pass laws as he saw fit. He was taking power away from the monarchy, to give it to himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #1836
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Weird, I thought we were arguing about the power of the dollar, not whether some people are stuck in upside-down loans. Oh wait, that's called a straw man. It's always the same argument with you people: "Obama screwed this up, Obama screwed that up", meanwhile, no actual data is used to back up the claim, and if it is, the data is completely out of context. Meanwhile, no better alternative solution is ever proposed.

    I guess what I am saying is, you were wrong about Obama growing the economy and you were wrong about the strength of the US dollar, so what is your point?
    The dollar has lost value under Obama. Its gap against such as teh yen is at an all time high tight now. Gold has also demonstrated the weak dollar, ans has many other commodities and FOOD.

    QE2 was nothing but dollar pumping and devaluing of the dollar. Do you not understand such ? Who do you think is buying most of our debt ? We are !!

  7. #1837
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    The dollar has lost value under Obama. Its gap against such as teh yen is at an all time high tight now. Gold has also demonstrated the weak dollar, ans has many other commodities and FOOD.

    QE2 was nothing but dollar pumping and devaluing of the dollar. Do you not understand such ? Who do you think is buying most of our debt ? We are !!
    We could follow the road map of what the Fed is doing by knowing What has happened with Hyperinflation throughout the centuries. It is well documented. Weimar is a well known example, and I think close to what the Fed is doing now. Buying our own debt is not going to end well.

    Oh well, Obama should be out by then so what does he care?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #1838
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Cherry-picking ftl... Right there near the top of the article:

    MOSTLY about. Mostly. Kind of corners the reason and where it came from don't you think?
    Maybe cherry-picking but again you were the one that posted 'Yes, it was the Republican's fault'. But the article SPECIFICALLY stated 'To be sure, S&P didnít specifically single out Republicans'.

    This discussion began by trying to refute information posted by Conservative. I asked for your sources which you provided. I read the one from NR after the site came back online. Once read it APPEARS to conflict with YOUR STATEMENT SPECIFICALLY. It DOES NOT STATE WHAT YOU CLAIM BUT RATHER REFUTES IT. Of course I can be wrong. Please post the portion of this article that clearly states, as you claim, 'it is the Republican's fault'.

    Thanks.

  9. #1839
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I think you are confused. You think you are arguing with me, but what you are arguing with is the general consensus of economic theory. I am not sure where you are getting mixed up, but under the theory, Obama has not handled this recession wrong, but rather, Congress and Bush did by spending too much and lowering taxes too far during good economic times.

    Can you at least go read about Keynesian economic theory and try to understand it before you argue against it? So, just to recap, I am using economic theory to back my argument up, and you are using... well, nothing.
    Don't you just love advice being given by people who have never made a payroll, never had to hire an employee, never had to compete in the private sector? General consensus said that stimulus one would cap unemployment at 8%, general consensus said that we would have 4% economic growth, general consensus said that Obama would unite and not divide the country.

    Wow, go to bed last night and get up to another 10 pages showing that many on this thread appear to be from the West Coast. No wonder the screwed up logic by those leftists here who believe bigger govt. is the answer. Congratulations on the 2.5% GDP growth over 2 1/4 years after the end of the recession and the 9.8% unemployment rate with 25 million unemployed/under employed Americans that only cost 4.2 trillion to create.

    You see, Why,, since you don't have any "skin in the game" it doesn't bother you that we have a 14.9 trillion dollar debt up 4.2 trillion dollars since Obama took office. You see, since apparently you don't have a job you don't understand that when you get a job you would be fired for those results.

    Come on people from the West Coast, haven't you learned anything from your own state's economic woes? why is it that debt doesn't matter to you?

  10. #1840
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Republicans block Obama jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    If the FICA taxes had not funded our unfunded wars and other general fund spending, you might have a point. Why do you think they say that SS is short by trillions? Up until just recently, SS has taken in more money than it paid out in benefits, where do you think those trillions went to?
    I agree concerning the 'robbing of the fictional lock box' but Clinton, Bush and Obama are equally guilty of this. Further they all claim there are Treasury IOUs that support using these funds. You can believe that or not but remember the Democrats are just as guilty of this as the Republicans...Remember Gore's 2000 'lock box' platform. We'll see.


    Social Security is short due to the longer lifespans and lack of modification to address the changes in society. When initiated SS was designed so that MANY workers support a single retiree. Now there is a mere 2-3 supporting that single retiree who is living longer. This is just unsustainable in the LONG term (40-60years). I know where the trillions went to...deficit spending for the last 11 years, BOTH ADMINISTRATIONS!

    This still doesn't escape the ORIGINAL intent that the underlying resources received via FICA taxes are meant to be returned to the tax payer later in years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •