Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 400

Thread: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

  1. #351
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You seem to be overlooking the fact that one man lied and got the Democrats and other world leaders to go along with it. Now, is George Bush that smart or are the Democrats, and other democratically elected world leaders, that stupid?
    No, he really didn't. He bought a few countries, scared some others who passed the buck, but no one else really made the claims Bush did. Remember, he had to outside the UN because he couldn't successfully make the case.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #352
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, he really didn't. He bought a few countries, scared some others who passed the buck, but no one else really made the claims Bush did. Remember, he had to outside the UN because he couldn't successfully make the case.
    Okay, he 'bought' the UK and a few other countries to go along with his scheme to invade Iraq, for some reason you'll not disclose. Do you have an explanation of how he 'bought these other countries? And what have been the consequences since the people in these countries learned they had been bought? Or is that still a secret?

    And the Democrats obviously went along with his scheme. Were they bought too? How did they profit? Or are they fools?

  3. #353
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,981
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    We know that Saddam was after WMD, his history demonstrates that, and that it was all up to him, as per the agreement after to Desert Storm, to follow specific guidelines.

    He did not follow them and following a second (with a warning issued) invasion and capture the Iraqi courts hanged him. I see no reason why there should be any regrets.
    Some find it worth the lives that were spent to prevent an attack that wasn't coming. We're all free to value that prevention in our own way.

    Another potential upside, depending on your point of view is that we gave billions of dollars to foreign guns for hire outfits we have no control over nor tracking of. The investment of billions of dollars in private military forces around the world will probably make more business for American arms manufacturers and more opportunities for American forces to deploy. That's another plus right there.

    But if you're one of the wacky folks don't think spending American lives and treasure should be done except when it benefits the US national interest, you may be someone who is disappointed with the invasion.
    If you're one of the wackos who doesn't value adding power to potential destabilizers around the globe, (which increase US arms sales and provide more work opportunities for those in our armed services), you might also be disappointed with the results.

    So, pretty much only nut-jobs don't think the invasion of Iraq was worth it.
    Sadly, a sizable portion of the US population and the US military are nut-jobs like that.
    But, what can you do?
    I may be wrong.

  4. #354
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Okay, he 'bought' the UK and a few other countries to go along with his scheme to invade Iraq, for some reason you'll not disclose. Do you have an explanation of how he 'bought these other countries? And what have been the consequences since the people in these countries learned they had been bought? Or is that still a secret?

    And the Democrats obviously went along with his scheme. Were they bought too? How did they profit? Or are they fools?
    UK was more of being a friend than bought, but you do seem to see the world as all or nothing. But, I'll ignore that for the moment. And being bought for the others is reason enough. Making money or getting favors is more than enough reason to go along, espeically if your contribution is comparitively minor.

    Try reading these:

    On February 26, the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington released a devastating study, "Coalition of the Willing or Coalition of the Coerced", examining in detail the pressure applied by Washington to each of the 15 current members of the UN Security Council. The study also examines how the Bush administration is putting together the so-called coalition of the willing.

    Asia Times

    [PDF]
    COALITION OF THE WILLING OR COALITION OF THE COERCED?www.ips-dc.org/files/1767/COERCED.pdfYou +1'd this publicly. Undo
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    Feb 26, 2003 – nations in the Security Council and those in Bush's non-UN coalition. ... votes of several poor countries on the Council were purchased with cheap Saudi ... on nations joining the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), and ...


    Bush bought countries to join coalition of the willing - Google Search

    And you might also look at the problems Blair had of the truthfullness of his reasoning for the war.

    And no, democrats did not go along. Again, Snopes handled your quotes well, and passing the buck is not going along. Sorry. You're not really addressing the argument being made.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #355
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Then you should know. And I don't know why you pretend you don't.
    I'm not pretending that I don't. I'm asking you to show what you've based your conclusions on...all I've I seen is you saying "some people disagreed" or the "evidence showed" without you actually linking to anything.

    The indications were there, and you are making the mistake of judging history with hindsight. The fact that no WMDs were found after the invasion does not alter the indications that were present before the invasion.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #356
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    well, some of us can recall how cheney choreographed the outing of a covert CIA agent in an effort to silence her husband, who was writing articles pointing out the administration's (yellowcake) lies
    You should let Fitzgerald know that he missed getting the mastermind then........

    Any more history that you'd like to invent ???

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  7. #357
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,981
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You should let Fitzgerald know that he missed getting the mastermind then...
    I think that Fitzgerald was aware that justice was being obstructed, hence the charges of obstruction of justice. So, he prob'ly doesn't need to be notified.
    I may be wrong.

  8. #358
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    I think that Fitzgerald was aware that justice was being obstructed, hence the charges of obstruction of justice. So, he prob'ly doesn't need to be notified.
    I don't recall Cheney being charged with any crime by Fitz.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #359
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,981
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I don't recall Cheney being charged with any crime by Fitz.
    I don't recall that either.
    I may be wrong.

  10. #360
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Iran accused over Washington terror plot

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'm not pretending that I don't. I'm asking you to show what you've based your conclusions on...all I've I seen is you saying "some people disagreed" or the "evidence showed" without you actually linking to anything.

    The indications were there, and you are making the mistake of judging history with hindsight. The fact that no WMDs were found after the invasion does not alter the indications that were present before the invasion.
    I linked to stuff earlier. You never responded to it.

    And no, people knew it with foresight. They were called disloyal and other names if you recall.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •