Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 589

Thread: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

  1. #231
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You don't think inflation affects cost of living? Wow
    Well of course I do. But what you said is that the cost of living was higher in 81 - 82 than it is today. Can you support your argument or not?
    Last edited by winston53660; 10-12-11 at 04:24 PM.

  2. #232
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The argument that the recession inherited by obama is worse than Reagan's is bogus and the misery index proves it.
    Incorrect. The misery index is the sum of inflation and unemployment; it does not measure the severity of a recession. To determine such, we need to measure the actual effects of the downturn(s) in question and make a relative comparison. Showing interest rates does not prove anything except that there were higher interest rates.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #233
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    you hang out at freeper often, do you?
    Could this be "Jim-Rob"posting on another site?
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  4. #234
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Well of course I do. But what you said is that the cost living was higher in 81 - 82 than it is today. Can you support your argument or not?
    So if inflation affects cost of living and inflation in 1981 was over 10% vs 2% in 2009 wouldn't cost of living be higher on just about everything then?

  5. #235
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Incorrect. The misery index is the sum of inflation and unemployment; it does not measure the severity of a recession. To determine such, we need to measure the actual effects of the downturn(s) in question and make a relative comparison. Showing interest rates does not prove anything except that there were higher interest rates.
    Misery index measures the impact on the American people and thus the recession of 1981-82 was worse, but that isn't going to change your mind. You weren't there, you have no clue. Doesn't change the mess we are in today nor the lack of leadership to get us out. The divider in chief has zero leadership skills and the results are indicative of those lacking skills. He has a very low JAR for a reason and most of that is do to the very poor recovery and lack of a viable economic plan.

  6. #236
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So if inflation affects cost of living and inflation in 1981 was over 10% vs 2% in 2009 wouldn't cost of living be higher on just about everything then?
    Wow you really don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

    Do you think that inflation from 81 - 82 just disappeared over the past 30 years?

  7. #237
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So if inflation affects cost of living and inflation in 1981 was over 10% vs 2% in 2009 wouldn't cost of living be higher on just about everything then?
    No, because that assumes that the real (inflation adjusted) price of all goods was equal.

    You are going to have to adjust the CPI basket in 2010 to reflect the buying power of the dollar in 1982, and then compare it to the CPI basket in 1982. Or....

    Adjust the CPI basket in 1982 to reflect the buying power of the dollar in 2010, and then compare it to the goods basket in 2010.

    Good luck!
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #238
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    No, because that assumes that the real (inflation adjusted) price of all goods was equal.

    You are going to have to adjust the CPI basket in 2010 to reflect the buying power of the dollar in 1982, and then compare it to the CPI basket in 1982. Or....

    Adjust the CPI basket in 1982 to reflect the buying power of the dollar in 2010, and then compare it to the goods basket in 2010.

    Good luck!
    If you are going to apply 2010 prices to 1981 then you have to do it with income as well as expenses. All relative. People in 1981-82 suffered under 17.5 Plus interest rates, high inflation and rising unemployment. Much worse than today

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    What relevance? You continue to point out the 2009 budget and I continue to confuse you with the fact that the 2009 budget was passed in 2008 with total control of the Democrat Congress. Amazing how you continue to ignore that reality as well as the votes for that budget.
    Claiming Obama is responsible for the bill he signed but Bush isn't only serves to highlight your sickness.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Claiming Obama is responsible for the bill he signed but Bush isn't only serves to highlight your sickness.
    Sickness? Bush has been out of office for over 2 1/2 years and you still are obsessed with him all in an attempt to divert from Obama. I see that as a sickness not pointing out the Obama record. Again, you need a civics course badly.

Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •