Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 589

Thread: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

  1. #221
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    This is non-corporate businesses! Do up you understand what it means when a slope is negative as opposed to positive?
    So you are saying people paying 17.5% interest rates and rising credit card rates, facing massive inflation, and rising unemployment were better off than those paying record low interest rates, low credit card rates, and living in very low inflation? I can tell you spend too much time looking at graphs and not enough time out in the real world. I lived and worked during both, there is little comparison.

    Since you like charts I was surprised you ignored the chart on home ownership/foreclosures during both periods

    http://seekingalpha.com/article/1177...t-1982-vs-2009
    Last edited by Conservative; 10-12-11 at 03:30 PM.

  2. #222
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So you are saying people paying 17.5% interest rates and rising credit card rates, facing massive inflation, and rising unemployment were better off than those paying record low interest rates, low credit card rates, and living in very low inflation? I can tell you spend too much time looking at graphs and not enough time out in the real world. I lived and worked during both, there is little comparison.
    Even with all these troubles in the 1980's, the net worth of Americans was steadily increasing. You have never been able to display how much these factors have influenced their bottom lines. When presented with the evidence, you switch back to fallacies and uninformed talking points?

    Classic!

    Since you like charts I was surprised you ignored the chart on home ownership/foreclosures during both periods

    U.S. Housing Market: 1982 vs. 2009 - Seeking Alpha
    Hilarious! That outdated chart signifies housing affordability. Which of course is ****ty; it looks at ones first year mortgage payment relative to ones income.

    Do you disagree that housing prices were still going UP during the early 1980s (hint, it has to do with inflation)?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #223
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    More graphs:



    In terms of %change:



    During the 1980's:



    Financial Crisis:

    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #224
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Even with all these troubles in the 1980's, the net worth of Americans was steadily increasing. You have never been able to display how much these factors have influenced their bottom lines. When presented with the evidence, you switch back to fallacies and uninformed talking points?

    Classic!



    Hilarious! That outdated chart signifies housing affordability. Which of course is ****ty; it looks at ones first year mortgage payment relative to ones income.

    Do you disagree that housing prices were still going UP during the early 1980s (hint, it has to do with inflation)?
    Since when was net worth a determination as to the misery of the people? The net worth of those holding a job in the 80's increased because of inflation but those without investments got hurt a lot more than those today. Interesting how another young intellectual elite ignores the first hand experience, logic, and common sense of the 81-82 recession to continue to parrot the leftwing lies.

    Keep diverting from my point that the American people were hurt more by the 81-82 recession and benefited more from the recovery than those in the 2007-2009 recession who aren't benefiting from the recovery at all. Of course that wouldn't have anything to do with the lack of leadership by this President vs. that of Reagan

  5. #225
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Since when was net worth a determination as to the misery of the people?
    Which is why the misery index is bogus. If you lived in a period that had a very high "misery index rate" but your net worth was steadily increasing (as it did for most Americans), you cannot be that miserable because you are still benefiting.

    However, if your misery index is somewhat high, and your net wealth is 3/4 of what it was only a few years ago, i guarantee you are going to be far more miserable. Unless of course you do not even have a + sign in front of your net worth.

    The net worth of those holding a job in the 80's increased because of inflation but those without investments got hurt a lot more than those today.
    Like the value of their house? Which is greater; 17.5% of $100k or 17.5% of $117.5k?

    Keep diverting from my point that the American people were hurt more by the 81-82 recession and benefited more from the recovery than those in the 2007-2009 recession who aren't benefiting from the recovery at all. Of course that wouldn't have anything to do with the lack of leadership by this President vs. that of Reagan
    The argument is, the recession Obama inherited is far more severe than that of Reagan. Try and keep up.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #226
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Which is why the misery index is bogus. If you lived in a period that had a very high "misery index rate" but your net worth was steadily increasing (as it did for most Americans), you cannot be that miserable because you are still benefiting.

    However, if your misery index is somewhat high, and your net wealth is 3/4 of what it was only a few years ago, i guarantee you are going to be far more miserable. Unless of course you do not even have a + sign in front of your net worth.



    Like the value of their house? Which is greater; 17.5% of $100k or 17.5% of $117.5k?



    The argument is, the recession Obama inherited is far more severe than that of Reagan. Try and keep up.
    Have you applied numbers of actual individuals to you graphs? Cost of living is a major factor driving consumer confidence as well as the misery index and the cost of living was much higher in the 81-82 recession than it is today therefore misery index isn't bogus at all

    The argument that the recession inherited by obama is worse than Reagan's is bogus and the misery index proves it.

  7. #227
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Have you applied numbers of actual individuals to you graphs? Cost of living is a major factor driving consumer confidence as well as the misery index and the cost of living was much higher in the 81-82 recession than it is today therefore misery index isn't bogus at all

    The argument that the recession inherited by obama is worse than Reagan's is bogus and the misery index proves it.
    Just curious but what was the cost of living in 81 - 82 relative to today, do you know?

  8. #228
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Just curious but what was the cost of living in 81 - 82 relative to today, do you know?
    http://inflationdata.com/inflation/i...inflation.aspx

  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Okay great inflation data. But that does not equate to the cost of living relative to today vs 81 - 82 which is basis of your argument.

  10. #230
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: White House Tax Plan Would Ask More of Millionaires (Continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Okay great inflation data. But that does not equate to the cost of living relative to today vs 81 - 82 which is basis of your argument.
    You don't think inflation affects cost of living? Wow

Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •