Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 220

Thread: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

  1. #181
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    And vice versa --- communication is commonly done that way apparently.
    Huh?

    12345678

  2. #182
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Huh?

    12345678

    Communication. You've heard of it? It usually requires two or more people responding to each other... in this case through the written language.

    Did you understand anything in the link I provided - or was that a waste of time?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #183
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Communication. You've heard of it? It usually requires two or more people responding to each other... in this case through the written language.

    Did you understand anything in the link I provided - or was that a waste of time?
    I read it, but as far as I could tell, it had no relevance to our conversation.

  4. #184
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Ok, so you think you are the victim of some sort of conspiracy then?

    The entire premise of my dismissive attitude is that I think you are being silly. There is nothing deeper here.
    While I generally focus on language more than "physical" tactics, and I haven't read Rules for Radicals, Alinsky is an acknowledged figure in the field of propaganda.

    I don't know enough about his work to have an opinion of it, but I certainly can't dismiss it out of hand.

    The KKK example given is brilliant. Just terribly dishonest, and therefore wrong, imho.

    I've thought of playing provocateur. I certainly could, and probably be effective at sowing discord. Its tempting to use what I know to fling poo.

    But i'd rather try to put an end to poo flinging.

    If for no other reason than to allow people to actually talk to each other again without the walls propagandists build around them to keep them from doing so.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  5. #185
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I read it, but as far as I could tell, it had no relevance to our conversation.
    Ah well... maybe tomorrow if I'm not too beat from work I'll explain it to you.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #186
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    While I generally focus on language more than "physical" tactics, and I haven't read Rules for Radicals, Alinsky is an acknowledged figure in the field of propaganda.

    I don't know enough about his work to have an opinion of it, but I certainly can't dismiss it out of hand.

    The KKK example given is brilliant. Just terribly dishonest, and therefore wrong, imho.

    I've thought of playing provocateur. I certainly could, and probably be effective at sowing discord. Its tempting to use what I know to fling poo.

    But i'd rather try to put an end to poo flinging.

    If for no other reason than to allow people to actually talk to each other again without the walls propagandists build around them to keep them from doing so.
    What does this have to do with me thinking Ockham's comment was silly? We can trot our boogiemen all day long, but without any sort of firm logical or causal link between an event and what the motivations might have been, the poster is simply grasping at straws.

  7. #187
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    What does this have to do with me thinking Ockham's comment was silly? We can trot our boogiemen all day long, but without any sort of firm logical or causal link between an event and what the motivations might have been, the poster is simply grasping at straws.
    I figured that was your point, just felt it fair to acknowledge that from what I understand, Alinsky tactics do find their way into protests.

    Considering I've been calling into question all these pictures and videos that seem fishy all day, it wouldn't be entirely fair to pretend what Ockhams saying is nonsense.

    I HAVE seen Alinsky's name invoked in the way you mention, to dismiss misbehavior as actually coming from "imposters", so I do see your point.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #188
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I figured that was your point, just felt it fair to acknowledge that from what I understand, Alinsky tactics do find their way into protests.

    Considering I've been calling into question all these pictures and videos that seem fishy all day, it wouldn't be entirely fair to pretend what Ockhams saying is nonsense.

    I HAVE seen Alinsky's name invoked in the way you mention, to dismiss misbehavior as actually coming from "imposters", so I do see your point.
    My life is so much more simple than all of this, I tend to say what I think.

  9. #189
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the OWS is actually the reactionary movement.
    Of course it is. What, were they supposed to have a crystal ball to preemptively protest wall street killing our economy before it happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #190
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Owners of Zuccotti Park Say Conditions Unsanitary From Wall Street Protests

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Let them eat cake.

    These folks CHOSE to come and engage in this form of protest. Personally, I think it's laughable, but hey it's their choice. What infuriates ME is that on the Greenway in Boston, the CITY is providing these people with electricity, garbage disposal, and portable toilets (from what I hear) AT NO COST TO THEM!!!! These people don't even have the proper permits to be there, and the City is providing them with these things at the TAXPAYER'S EXPENSE. Let the riot police come in and clean them out. If they need some backup, I'm sure I could get some of my medieval recreationist friends to put our armor on and come help clear the streets of this refuse.
    I know man. How dare they. They should be relegated to a free speech zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •