Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 120

Thread: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    And then there is Steve Jobs at Stanford. Great speech!

    It was a great speech, although he probably copied it from someone else.

  2. #52
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,196

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    It was a great speech, although he probably copied it from someone else.
    Why are you being rude? Why don't you start your own thread and bash Jobs and Apple all you want?

    By the way, for those interested, CNBC is doing the Apple story and Guy Kawasaki is featured.

  3. #53
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Just curious. To all those in this forum who own an Apple PC and/or iProduct: are your devices still working? Or was there some proprietary lockin that activated when jobs died?
    Still ticking. 4 Macs from the 90s, G4 Cube, an iBook G4, a Macbook, 2 iPod classics, iPhone-all working well.

    So are my Windows Machines.

    I have never owned an Apple product and am damn proud of it ! In fact, I owned several products years before Apple "invented" them. To the iCult, this makes no sense, obviously. But to technically adept users like me, who actually know stuff, it provided another joyous reason to laugh at everyone else who wasted their money buying an "i.
    That card doesn't fly with me. I have spent enough time with technology to know better. For instance, I enjoyed the iPod because of its sound signature, its OS, and had a great audio out. I still use it hooked up to my Headroom Desktop Headphone Amp----> Sennheiser HD-600's, HD-595's, the 497s, and sometime in the future the AKG-702s.

    Your point was almost considered. Apple didn't invent. It improved, and marketed. The DAP was around long before Apple showed up, but the market was wanting. They stepped up, and delivered solid performers. There are other notable DAPs (the Karma and the iHp-120 still warms peoples' hearts), but let's not get too happy about bashing Apple for the sake of bashing Apple.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 10-06-11 at 01:10 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    Why are you being rude? Why don't you start your own thread and bash Jobs and Apple all you want?
    It's the truth--jobs was a crappy human being. What kind of man has sex w/a woman and then tries to deny that her child is his even after she takes a paternity test?

    What kind of man sees no problem w/young people being worked to death in horrid conditions to assemble his products? And then has the audacity to market them as novel innovations when in fact they weren't.

    In fact, given that fact, there is, for all practical purposes, no difference between jobs and someone like Phil Knight, w/the exception of Apple's silly Reality Distortion Field, i. e. the notion that worshiping and/or owning an iProduct somehow makes one a "rebel."

    FYI, at the time iPod was still at the peak of its popularity, South Korean digital music players were already far more advanced, supporting multiple open formats such as FLAC and OGG, and there were already several music stores that did not require downloading an overbloated piece of software just to buy from it. And apparently, typing

    cp ./*.mp3 /mnt/usbdrive/

    at a prompt instead of waiting for iTunes to load up just isn't cool enough for you, is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    By the way, for those interested, CNBC is doing the Apple story and Guy Kawasaki is featured.
    Wow, another unbiased source

  5. #55
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    FYI, at the time iPod was still at the peak of its popularity, South Korean digital music players were already far more advanced, supporting multiple open formats such as FLAC and OGG, and there were already several music stores that did not require downloading an overbloated piece of software just to buy from it. And apparently, typing
    FLAC was a plus, and Vorbis was for a time. The truth of the matter is, most people, ABX tested thus far, have been able to conclude that of the lossy codecs, most are allowing people to reach transparency at 128 kbps, and furthermore, codec scores being roughly equal. The codec wars are mostly finished. Open source was all the rage, but for the past couple of years or more, it has been meaningless.

    While FLAC is perhaps more preferable for archival purposes, most cannot justify the switch, nor notice the difference. Some of it has to do with equipment, but a lot of it has to deal with the ears.

    The Open Source cheer leading for Vorbis was mostly just that.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 10-06-11 at 01:19 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    FLAC was a plus, and Vorbis was for a time. The truth of the matter is, most people, ABX tested thus far, have been able to conclude that of the lossy codecs, most are allowing people to reach transparency at 128 kbps, and furthermore, codec scores being roughly equal. The codec wars are mostly finished. Open source was all the rage, but for the past couple of years or more, it has been meaningless.

    While FLAC is perhaps more preferable for archival purposes, most cannot justify the switch, nor notice the difference. Some of it has to do with equipment, but a lot of it has to deal with the ears.

    The Open Source cheer leading for Vorbis was mostly just that.
    There's so much falsity in that post I don't know where to begin.

    First, there's a definite noticeable difference between 128 kbps anything and its lossless counterpart. This is especially true in classical music. Try listening to Gluck's "Dance of the Blessed Spirits" in 128 kbps VBR encoded format. It just won't cut it.

    And the reason the open source formats like FLAC have become meaningless is not because of any limitations in the format but because the major record labels refuse to sell their stuff in those formats. Why? Because there's no way to add a watermark to a lossless codec to trace it back to the original purchaser. Plus, the labels simply have an aversion to anything considered "free", period.

  7. #57
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    My irony metered just exploded.

    The Westboro douchebags are going to picket Steve jobs funeral, but the interesting thing about it is how it was announced.



    Yes, this tweet was sent via Twitter for iPhone. The irony here is almost unbelievable.

    No matter what Westboro does at the funeral of Steve Jobs, it appears that Jobs will win in the end his influence even stretches to an announcement like this.

    Steve Jobs Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Church | WebProNews
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Still ticking. 4 Macs from the 90s, G4 Cube, an iBook G4, a Macbook, 2 iPod classics, iPhone-all working well.

    So are my Windows Machines.



    That card doesn't fly with me. I have spent enough time with technology to know better. For instance, I enjoyed the iPod because of its sound signature
    the sound signature for most any DAP of any brand is the same. It's the amps and headphones that make the difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    , its OS, and had a great audio out. I still use it hooked up to my Headroom Desktop Headphone Amp----> Sennheiser HD-600's, HD-595's, the 497s, and sometime in the future the AKG-702s.

    Your point was almost considered. Apple didn't invent. It improved, and marketed.
    Correction. It marketed, period. It did not improve anything. It just locked out apps and formats and interoperability while many of its competitors did not.

    Is an iPod that plays only MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF, and possibly the (proprietary) ALAC better than an iRiver that also plays music encoded in the free FLAC codec?

    Is a music store that forces customers to use iTunes better than one that allows you to buy w/just a browser or any web client?

    Is an iPhone that forces app developers to abide by Apple's restrictive rules and use Apple's SDK and sell only in an Apple store better than an Android phone where anyone can write a Java app using any tool(s) they like and sell it anywhere?

    Is freedom better than captivity?

    (s'pose in jobs' Reality Distortion Field, it is)

  9. #59
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    One of the greatest innovators of our age.

    He survives death through his immortal achievements.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Steve Jobs Dead at 56

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    My irony metered just exploded.

    The Westboro douchebags are going to picket Steve jobs funeral, but the interesting thing about it is how it was announced.






    Steve Jobs Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Church | WebProNews
    Indeed, the irony here is that someone boasted of receiving a message from something other than facebook.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •