Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 694

Thread: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    Why are Republicans rushing to defend the beneficiaries of big government? Why are the Republicans rushing to defend those who have been insulated from their failures in the market?

    The typical Republican response to this protest demonstrates that they do not understand the nature of big government or free markets.
    That is NOT the part of the message that Republicans take issue with. Many Republicans and Libertarians were opposed to all bail-outs, all concepts of "too big to fail". Many of us have it as a basic tenant of capitalism that failure must be allowed to happen with no impediment, so that something better will take its place. As we saw with Stimulus, three yeras of UI, and any number of other liberal boondoggles, to include throwing good money after bad with green energy, it is the liberal dogma to subsidize failure. Just so long as it secures votes.

    I was one Conservative who held my nose and supported TARP. It worked, and almost all that money has been paid back. But I would have been fine with letting all things fail, to include such as GM, and keeping UI at one year max.

    The bottom line with these parasites on Wall Street and elsewhere, besides being pure astro-turf, is that they are for redistribution of wealth. Just so long as they are on the receiving end. They want free stuff.

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    That is NOT the part of the message that Republicans take issue with. Many Republicans and Libertarians were opposed to all bail-outs, all concepts of "too big to fail". Many of us have it as a basic tenant of capitalism that failure must be allowed to happen with no impediment, so that something better will take its place. As we saw with Stimulus, three yeras of UI, and any number of other liberal boondoggles, to include throwing good money after bad with green energy, it is the liberal dogma to subsidize failure. Just so long as it secures votes.
    Bush signed the bill to subsidize the bank failure. McCain supported it. If he had won he would have blown the money all the same.

    I was one Conservative who held my nose and supported TARP. It worked, and almost all that money has been paid back. But I would have been fine with letting all things fail, to include such as GM, and keeping UI at one year max.

    The bottom line with these parasites on Wall Street and elsewhere, besides being pure astro-turf, is that they are for redistribution of wealth. Just so long as they are on the receiving end. They want free stuff.
    So really, while you support failure, you really don't. I was against TARP from day one. To say it's all been paid back is spin. Freddie and Fannie was a part of TARP and we are going to lose who knows, billions upon billions? Trillions?

  3. #273
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    So really, while you support failure, you really don't. I was against TARP from day one. To say it's all been paid back is spin. Freddie and Fannie was a part of TARP and we are going to lose who knows, billions upon billions? Trillions?
    It's also disengenious because the collapse of the value of CDO's were really just transferred to AIG. AIG is required so many bailouts because they were directly paying Goldman/Morgan Stanley etc due to the collapse of value of the CDO's.

    I disagree with you regarding TARP though. I think it was needed because there would of been a total collapse of credit markets.

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Bush signed the bill to subsidize the bank failure. McCain supported it. If he had won he would have blown the money all the same.
    Of course. It was a partisan effort, coordinated with the incoming Obama camp via the Senate. I never said it was not. What I stated was a fact-based opinion to counter the absurd notion that Republicans are somehow more "pro-bailout" than Democrats. The Tea Party is quite opposed to such bailouts.

    So really, while you support failure, you really don't. I was against TARP from day one. To say it's all been paid back is spin. Freddie and Fannie was a part of TARP and we are going to lose who knows, billions upon billions? Trillions?
    Cut the crap. I explained that my notion of "failure" is to not cherry pick. To not have government pick the winners and losers. Which is what Obama has done with the auto-bailouts, closing of dealerships, subsidies to green energy, excessive regulation, etc.

    And don't bitch to me because Fannie and Freddie are GSE's (Government Sponsored Enterprises). I am not for such nonsense, but they didn't ask me when they created them, then expanded them. To not back their debt now would be to have the government default. In many ways they are similar to us being on teh hook for Social Security and Medicare. All buy-now, pay-later schemes that mortgaged the future. The best we can do is to not repeat such stupidity moving forward.

  5. #275
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    that's correct - they are currently camping out in the street somewhere.

    so let's see if we have this right:

    thus far, you have accused me of making stuff up, so I cited NPR. then you offered that i could be lying, but it was linked. Then you argued that we were linking right wing sites to give off left-wing talking points, so maybe those sites were making things up. Then it turned out that the site linked was a left wing site which had put up the Statement of Facts because they were excited about and supported the OWS protests...

    your continued attempts to deny that they released this are getting bizzare. as it is precisely the kind of mumbo-jumbo that you'd expect out of these crowds, i'll admit I'm confused as to why you persist.
    If you supplied a link, I missed it and apologize for claiming you had not supplied a link. The only links I saw where to a claim of some random guy on the message board, and some group that is not the group on Wall Street. I have seen from you no link from OccupyWallStreet that states their goals that matches what you claim those goals are.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #276
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Attachment 67116489

    It was only a matter of time 'til someone pointed this out.
    This is like showing a picture of a tea party and their stop government spending signs, and showing the road they drove in on to get the event. It's juvenile and misses the point. It is simple soundbites for simple people.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Of course. It was a partisan effort, coordinated with the incoming Obama camp via the Senate. I never said it was not. What I stated was a fact-based opinion to counter the absurd notion that Republicans are somehow more "pro-bailout" than Democrats. The Tea Party is quite opposed to such bailouts.
    Nope. TARP passed before the elections. Bush signed it a full month before the elections. Indeed, the Tea Party is opposed to bail outs. The main parties are only opposed to them depending on which way the wind is blowing.

    Cut the crap. I explained that my notion of "failure" is to not cherry pick. To not have government pick the winners and losers. Which is what Obama has done with the auto-bailouts, closing of dealerships, subsidies to green energy, excessive regulation, etc.
    It's what the government did with TARP also. You are either for bailing out failure or not.

    And don't bitch to me because Fannie and Freddie are GSE's (Government Sponsored Enterprises). I am not for such nonsense, but they didn't ask me when they created them, then expanded them. To not back their debt now would be to have the government default. In many ways they are similar to us being on teh hook for Social Security and Medicare. All buy-now, pay-later schemes that mortgaged the future. The best we can do is to not repeat such stupidity moving forward.
    I didn't ask you to defend them. I'm saying they must be figured into the losses we are stuck with concerning TARP. It's also not the best we can do. Legally we can force those who put the fraudulent loans on the books in the first place, take them back.

  8. #278
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,428

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is like showing a picture of a tea party and their stop government spending signs, and showing the road they drove in on to get the event. It's juvenile and misses the point. It is simple soundbites for simple people.
    I hear ya, and that's probably the case.

    But something still doesn't click. Tea Party may have opposed government spending, but the implication was they would be taxed less, and then THEY could decide to fund that road. They did not oppose working to create the things they enjoy, only the government coercion part.

    These protests appear to be much more anti-1%. That of course, carries no such saving grace, it's simply discriminatory fist pounding (so far) aimed at pushing the national debt burden onto people who didn't cause the national debt...

  9. #279
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I hear ya, and that's probably the case.

    But something still doesn't click. Tea Party may have opposed government spending, but the implication was they would be taxed less, and then THEY could decide to fund that road. They did not oppose working to create the things they enjoy, only the government coercion part.

    These protests appear to be much more anti-1%. That of course, carries no such saving grace, it's simply discriminatory fist pounding (so far) aimed at pushing the national debt burden onto people who didn't cause the national debt...
    The reason, I believe is that the real anger is aimed at the way the system is set up where regular people are not seeing economic gains that keep up with their increased productivity. The 1% is simply a symbol of that larger problem.

  10. #280
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,428

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The reason, I believe is that the real anger is aimed at the way the system is set up where regular people are not seeing economic gains that keep up with their increased productivity. The 1% is simply a symbol of that larger problem.
    Or maybe it's just that they don't want to accept that they are the bottom 10%. Gains are never good for failed investments, be they part of a hedge fund, or a person failing in the job market.

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •