Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 694

Thread: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

  1. #121
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,486

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I agree with your assessment but don't think it's yet hopeless. The American people have had setbacks before but their spirit and resilience have always led them back to the top. And while I don't believe the present crop of Americans have the same backbone as their ancestors, I think there are still enough around who take sufficient pride in their country and themselves to turn it around.
    I tend to believe we succeed in SPITE of government shenanigans. Of course we won't give up, because the ACTUAL battle we are fighting is raising kids, putting dinner on the table, staying healthy, sleeping, and trying not to think about cancer and heart disease. Politics is just a side-show for most people. Except seniors, because their income is tied to government. Hmmm.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I know this is a lost cause...but you can back this up somehow? You have some data to show this is true?
    I made several points. Which one would you like to discuss further?

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    ........... look at the date of this report: http://www.fhfa.gov/webfiles/747/FNMSPECIALEXAM.pdfit it is may 2006. AFTER it was learned that fannie mae was cooking the books. and still the shrub did nothing. because profits were still flowing. it wasn't until the meltdown that the taxpayers picked up the ongoing tab for the now massive losses
    I am going to site an additional official Fannie and Freddie report, issued just two months after yours (Jul 2006). While you note corruption in FF, this one notes the growth of FF over that whole time period, and how it helped inflate the bubble. Here is an exact quote from it:

    Another way to look at this unconstrained growth is that during the last 15 years, the nation’s GDP doubled, the mortgage market tripled, Fannie Mae’s and Freddie Mac’s (the Enterprises) guarantees quadrupled and their portfolios grew ninefold (Chart 1).

    ...... Second, Fannie Mae’s and Freddie Mac’s low capital requirements and unusually low
    funding costs because of their GSE status allow them to build huge mortgage asset
    portfolios. Fannie Mae’s mortgage assets grew from about $124 billion in 1990 to $905
    billion in 2004, and then declined to about $727 billion last year. That’s equivalent to
    average annual growth of more than 13 percent over the 15-year period (Chart 4). Freddie
    3
    Mac’s mortgage portfolio grew 26 percent per annum from less than $22 billion at year-end
    1990 to $710 billion in 2005. In contrast, the residential mortgage market grew at an average
    rate of 8.5 percent. Absent regulatory constraints, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac could each
    increase their portfolios by well over $100 billion without exceeding the present minimum
    capital rules including the 30 percent operational risk requirement that OFHEO imposed.

    http://www.fhfa.gov/Default.aspx/web...eform71906.pdf
    Like yours, the above report talks about the need for immediate reform, which went virtually unheeded. However, it also supports the fact that Fannie and Freddie, and therfore the government, underwrote the bubble from its very beginning. But as we see, Obama wants folks to blame Wall Street. Because Obama, after all his spending and promises, now relizes that he has faile dmiserably. So now it is no longer about fixing things, as he can't, but about blame. What a loser.
    Last edited by Eighty Deuce; 10-06-11 at 05:07 PM.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,486

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You're spot on, but who is it that draws attention to abortion rights, Gay marriage, more social programs, etc. while economic responsibilities go unmentioned?
    Unfortunately we do. TMZ is popular not because of TMZ's marketing. Let's face it, celebrity crotch shots are just more appealing than the intricacies of finance policy.

    That is not to say these issues are not important, but surely the economy and welfare of the country should come first. Only then can any other issues be seriously addressed
    I agree. I'm just jaded, because I have seen consistent reliable evidence that most people are able to focus on the root problems, much less identify them. All experience in life, work, DP, all suggests those will always be in the minority. Lifes hard, I don't have any easy answer
    Let me add, even if we look hard at the problem, and are smart, we can still get it wrong half the time. It's just that complicated...

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Where does it say Wall Street needs "to pay".
    Occupy Wall Street | NYC Protest for American Revolution

    Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%.

    I see greed and corruption mentioned not anything about paying...
    This is their world.

    The American Dream has been stolen from the world. Workers are told that they aren't allowed health care, shelter, food. Students are told that they aren't allowed jobs, and that they will be in debt for the rest of their lives, unable to declare bankruptcy. The 1% has destroyed this nation and its values through their greed. The 1% has stolen this world. We will not allow this to occur.
    I cannot read that without laughing!

    It seems certain that they'll soon burst into song! "We are the world. We are the children".

    The former no, the latter si.

  6. #126
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    As Obama would say .... "WTF". Where are they "more popular" ? Not in Nov 2010 they were not. Not in the latest polls that show Obama dropping like a rock, losing by 6 points to "any Republican". Not in the way Democrat Senators won't touch his JOBS plan.

    A bunch of astro-turf loons on Wall Street does not a popular movement make. If you believe this will translate to momentum for liberal politicians in the polls 13 months from now ....... I'll be one of the first to say "I told you so" to all this failed liberal nonsense.
    Hint: politicians =! Policies
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #127
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I made several points. Which one would you like to discuss further?
    The ones you made where I quoted you...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Unfortunately we do. TMZ is popular not because of TMZ's marketing. Let's face it, celebrity crotch shots are just more appealing than the intricacies of finance policy.

    I agree. I'm just jaded, because I have seen consistent reliable evidence that most people are able to focus on the root problems, much less identify them. All experience in life, work, DP, all suggests those will always be in the minority. Lifes hard, I don't have any easy answer
    Let me add, even if we look hard at the problem, and are smart, we can still get it wrong half the time. It's just that complicated...
    It is complicated and we all do the best we can. It's natural that some are going to be more successful in life in financial terms, others less successful but we should not begrudge those who have more financial success. Sometimes it's just too much work for most of us. Too much planning.

    There are other rewards in life, like a family and children. Good friends and neighbors. A good name with the respect of others.

    There are more opportunities in life than there have ever been yet many can't see it. Like you say, they see small and trivial little pictures while the big one eludes them. I sure don't know the answers but i reckon blocking traffic isn't one of them.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    01-09-12 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Well that settles it. The Union is there so Wall Street will just give up and leave, never to come back...right.

  10. #130
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    The difference is the left was not saying the Tea-Baggers were undermining the very fabric of our society and driving our economy into the ground, etc. because they were rallying. Nor was the left justifying brut-force on Tea-Baggers with 'they had it coming' type rhetoric. They just noted their ideas were out-there-flapping.

    That this rally is looking more and more like the civil rights rallies and the anti-Vietnam war rallies is exactly what has the financial institutions and their stockholders worried. Things might actually get changed if politicians who are supporting their being self-regulatory, given lower tax rates and bailed-out when needed get booted out of office.

    This is not a right wing or left wing movement exclusively. There are people on both sides who want more external oversight and no more bailouts. The financial industry and the wealthy are trying to use the pundits and MSM outlet they own to keep those on the right who hold these views from figuring that out and joining the occupy Wall Street movement.
    Okay, I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm not seeing "the right" saying those things about this protest, for one. Secondly, I definitely recall some hacky lefties (famous and non-famous) saying some pretty disgusting things about tea partiers....so again, I'd say the anti-whatever sentiments go both ways, and both sides are pretty dickish towards the causes attributed to the opposition.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •