Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 694

Thread: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The majority of the U.S. population cannot eliminate lobbying or reform the financial industry. Congress can do that -- and they choose not to. Obama hasn't done it; Bush didn't do it; nobody in Washington is going to do it -- and they're the only ones who can. As to raising taxes? We can't do that either. Thank Washington. I'm tired of regular ordinary American citizens being blamed for the problems our Congress has created. And people foolish enough to believe that "the people" are responsible are part of the problem. They are not!
    It's 'the people' who are electing these buffoons and likewise becoming dependent on unsustainable social programs politicians offer in order to get elected.

    It's not the fault of China or Big Business. It's the fault of too many Americans harboring unrealistic expectations from government, just as we see now in Greece.

  2. #102
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No, never! But most Americans are not lazy and ignorant. That tends to be the reserve of the you-know-who.

    Most Americans know their country has been politically hijacked and they want something done about it quickly. It has to be done quickly.

    The problem they have right now is, as the great William Buckley said, selecting the most conservative candidate who can win. And if they feel he or she is not conservative enough to get the country back on track, they'll certainly let it be known. Whoever it might be will be a one-termer, like Obama, until a genuine conservative is elected.
    You are correct, most Americans are not conservatives. We are tired of the tea party and how they hijacked this country because they are not the one taxing and spending.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,513

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The majority of the U.S. population cannot eliminate lobbying or reform the financial industry. Congress can do that -- and they choose not to.
    People are supposed to direct their representatives, is the point!
    But you're right, that some members of congress have championed this, and when they do the public reception of lobbying reform, is lukewarm, so they drop it. People just don't really care about it. It's lonely at the top Maggie. If you have your head screwed on straight, and I think you do, you are in the MINORITY. You always will be. A quarter is too young to know better. A quarter is too old to care. And the rest of us are trying to raise kids and earn a living while taking care of aging parents and the black sheep of the family.

    Make a post about lobbying reform, and then make one about gay marriage. Which one gets the press more reliably?
    Why is CNN almost like a tabloid? People don't really care about the key issues, they care about the interesting ones, the emotional ones, etc.

    Obama hasn't done it; Bush didn't do it; nobody in Washington is going to do it -- and they're the only ones who can. As to raising taxes? We can't do that either. Thank Washington. I'm tired of regular ordinary American citizens being blamed for the problems our Congress has created. And people foolish enough to believe that "the people" are responsible are part of the problem. They are not!
    Who does congress answer to again?
    Last edited by Mach; 10-06-11 at 04:40 PM.

  4. #104
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You are correct, most Americans are not conservatives. We are tired of the tea party and how they hijacked this country because they are not the one taxing and spending.
    Even fewer Americans are Liberals, so don't say, "we", as if you're speaking for a majority of Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #105
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's 'the people' who are electing these buffoons and likewise becoming dependent on unsustainable social programs politicians offer in order to get elected.

    It's not the fault of China or Big Business. It's the fault of too many Americans harboring unrealistic expectations from government, just as we see now in Greece.
    It is the fault of the system that allows unlimited terms in Congress...incumbant advantage...and, most of all, the fact that Congressmen have put us on the road to ruin by giving away the U.S. Treasury in order to be re-elected. 545 people create all the problems and then run on platforms that tell us how it needs to be fixed. I figure it's pretty much hopeless.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #106
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    People are supposed to direct their representatives, is the point!
    But you're right, that some members of congress have championed this, and when they do the public reception of lobbying reform, is lukewarm, so they drop it. People just don't really care about it. It's lonely at the top Maggie. If you have your head screwed on straight, and I think you do, you are in the MINORITY. You always will be. A quarter is too young to know better. A quarter is too old to care. And the rest of us are trying to raise kids and earn a living while taking care of aging parents and the black sheep of the family.

    Make a post about lobbying reform, and then make one about gay marriage. Which one gets the press more reliably?
    Why is CNN almost like a tabloid? People don't really care about the key issues, they care about the interesting ones, the emotional ones, etc.



    Who does congress answer to again?
    The reason most people wouldn't care about lobbying reform is that they don't understand it. They don't know how big of an impact lobbying has on our government and that it almost always comes back to hurt them. There needs to be more transparency about how lobbying works and the effects that it has. These issues need to be described in a simple way that most Americans can understand.

  7. #107
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Even fewer Americans are Liberals, so don't say, "we", as if you're speaking for a majority of Americans.
    Depends actually. Self labeling, you are correct. When presented with issues, liberal issues are more popular.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #108
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Depends actually. Self labeling, you are correct. When presented with issues, liberal issues are more popular.
    Not anymore, they're not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #109
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Depends actually. Self labeling, you are correct. When presented with issues, liberal issues are more popular.
    Popular can be a lot of different things.... popular as in agreed with or neutral, or popular as in hated and "unpopular"? I'd certainly agree liberal issues are sexier than conservative issues.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Labor Unions Join Wall Street Occupiers for "Mass Rally'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You are correct, most Americans are not conservatives. We are tired of the tea party and how they hijacked this country because they are not the one taxing and spending.
    Most Americans were, and are, conservative, which is what made their country great. It inspired people around the world and attracted the best and brightest from everywhere.

    The Tea party has largely gone silent. They have sent their message and the politicians have received it. There is nothing the Wall street protesters can do about it.

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •