Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 157

Thread: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

  1. #111
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,018

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. I was being literal. Fast food has sand in it for filler.

    Anyway, your bigotry against Mexican immigrants is duly noted.
    Guy, can you ever answer without this name calling?
    and your continued support for illegal immigrants is duly noted.
    Your bigotry towards Americans is also noted.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Except a minimum wage INCREASES unemployment. Thus increasing the amount of people earning $0 per hour.
    I do not disagree that it has an affect. As I said, if you simply want to argue the minimum wage, that's an interesting arguement.

    That's ridiculous, if people weren't able to feed themselves, why would they take the job in the first place? What's the point of working if you aren't even earning enough to feed yourself?
    Maybe you need to brush up on the history of the minimum wage. What's the point? There was a time that any job was better than nothing. You were looked down on for not working at one time.

  3. #113
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Sometimes a ****ty job is better than no job.
    Agreed. Which is exactly why the minimum wage is so pernicious, as it destroys many of those ****ty jobs.

    At least with a ****ty job you can save up money.
    If they aren't earning enough to feed themselves then almost by definition they can't save up any money. But I agree that earning $3 per hour puts you in a better position than earning $0 per hour does.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-08-11 at 06:22 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #114
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Maybe you need to brush up on the history of the minimum wage. What's the point? There was a time that any job was better than nothing. You were looked down on for not working at one time.
    Generally speaking, people work to earn enough money to support themselves. If they aren't even earning enough to support themselves in the most basic way (i.e. having enough food to eat) then there wouldn't be any point to working at all. From an economic perspective their time would be better spent scavenging, foraging, begging, or stealing food.

    But I agree that in some situations, any job is better than nothing. Which is exactly why we shouldn't have a minimum wage.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Generally speaking, people work to earn enough money to support themselves. If they aren't even earning enough to support themselves in the most basic way (i.e. having enough food to eat) then there wouldn't be any point to working at all. From an economic perspective their time would be better spent scavenging, foraging, begging, or stealing food.
    Yours is the position that has made things worse.....If I can't make what I feel is enough, I'll just not work at all. Basically though, your arguement is for people to not work at all. Nobody is going to work for $3.00 an hour.

    But I agree that in some situations, any job is better than nothing. Which is exactly why we shouldn't have a minimum wage.
    So that people can just sit at home instead because they decide it's not worth their effort?

  6. #116
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Yours is the position that has made things worse.....If I can't make what I feel is enough, I'll just not work at all. Basically though, your arguement is for people to not work at all. Nobody is going to work for $3.00 an hour.



    So that people can just sit at home instead because they decide it's not worth their effort?
    If there are no people willing to supply their labor at $3 per hour for a certain job, then market forces will raise the wage until there ARE people willing to supply their labor. You don't need a minimum wage or a crackdown on illegal immigration to accomplish that; market forces are sufficient.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If there are no people willing to supply their labor at $3 per hour for a certain job, then market forces will raise the wage until there ARE people willing to supply their labor. You don't need a minimum wage or a crackdown on illegal immigration to accomplish that; market forces are sufficient.
    You continue to ignore the illegal activites that skew market forces. Without these illegal activities, nobody is going to be able to pay $3.00 an hour and get workers.

    If your position is that slave labor is good, just argue that.

  8. #118
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    You continue to ignore the illegal activites that skew market forces. Without these illegal activities, nobody is going to be able to pay $3.00 an hour and get workers.
    It's only illegal because our present government has determined it is illegal, which is the very issue under debate. Arguing that something should be illegal because it is illegal is a circular argument. As for the other half of your argument (that allowing poor immigrants to work those jobs is driving down wages in those industries), the benefits to society greatly outweigh the costs. The consumer benefits in the form of cheaper products, the employer benefits in the form of smaller labor costs, and the immigrant himself benefits in the form of a higher wage than he could earn back home. The losers in this equation are the unskilled native-born workers who might otherwise have worked those jobs at an inflated wage due to artificial barriers to trade (i.e. immigration crackdowns), but frankly their loss is not sufficiently large to offset the gains to the economy as a whole. And as I already mentioned, if we the people feel that they are unable to maintain a "decent" standard of living (as defined by the public), then we the people should support them instead of erecting distortive barriers to trade.

    If your position is that slave labor is good, just argue that.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-09-11 at 01:15 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Hey Teabaggers, thanks for the $10.00 apples.

    Well done!!

    Keep tanking the U.S. economy and then you can blame it on the black guy.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Farmers Strain to Hire American in Place of Migrant Labor

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    It's only illegal because our present government has determined it is illegal, which is the very issue under debate.
    As I noted earlier, the same can be argued about taxes so I'm going to argue from here on out that not paying your taxes is a valid way of keeping your costs down.

    Arguing that something should be illegal because it is illegal is a circular argument.
    It should be illegal because no country has open borders and just allows whoever wants in, in. There, as you know, are very good reasons for this.

    As for the other half of your argument (that allowing poor immigrants to work those jobs is driving down wages in those industries)
    That isn't my arguement and unless you want to frame it correctly, I'm not going to continue.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •