Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 274

Thread: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

  1. #221
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    some people seem to think that indentured servant = slave
    Indentured servitude, as practiced in those times, was a form of slavery. Thanks for showing that rightwingers don't understand what slavery is
    Last edited by sangha; 10-11-11 at 02:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #222
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    From the link:



    So, technically, he wasn't a slave, but an indentured servant.

    Yes, it is kind of splitting hairs to call him the first slaver, but he was a slaver, and he was a black man.
    Indentured servitude is not necesarily slavery, but as it was practiced at that time, it is considered slavery. He was a slave before he owned slaves. The claim that the first slave owner was black is just one in a long list of racist rightwing lies
    Last edited by sangha; 10-11-11 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #223
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Indentured servitude, as practiced in those times, was a form of slavery. Thanks for showing that rightwingers don't understand what slavery is
    one of the more intriguing aspects of the book how the irish became white was the discussion about slave owners who also had indentured servants
    when it came time to perform the most dangerous duties, where the risk of life and limb was the greatest, the slave owner sent the indentured servant to perform that risky task
    that way, if the indentured servant was killed or maimed, the slave holder only lost a few years of work output. not true of his slaves if he sent them, instead

    we now return you to the thread topic that was in progress before this derailment
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #224
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    From the link:



    So, technically, he wasn't a slave, but an indentured servant.

    Yes, it is kind of splitting hairs to call him the first slaver, but he was a slaver, and he was a black man.
    Actually, in the beginning, white and black indentured servants worked together, and lived together, on plantations. It was only when some of them began intermarrying that indentured servitude was no longer an option for a few blacks, and all blacks became slaves.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #225
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Indentured servitude, as practiced in those times, was a form of slavery. Thanks for showing that rightwingers don't understand what slavery is
    gads, you guys will go to any lengths to deny the truth won't you?

    don't like the definition of a word? no problem, just change it to suit your argument.

    indentured servitude was not slavery. sorry....you lose.....again
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #226
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Indentured servitude is not necesarily slavery, but as it was practiced at that time, it is considered slavery. He was a slave before he owned slaves. The claim that the first slave owner was black is just one in a long list of racist rightwing lies
    only liberal revisionist idiots consider indentured servitude to be slavery.....because otherwise it undermines their argument.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #227
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I am really torn on this one. True, the Confederate flag represents slavery to most people, as the primary purpose in the South's secession was their insistence that they had the right to slavery. But it goes much deeper than that. The Stars and Bars also represents the South's view that the North supported slavery too.... The kind of slavery that comes with one region imposing it's will on another. Yea, I know, I know, it's not the same thing, but there was a culture in the South that saw the big Government of the North as a dictator. In that sense, the Confederate flag represents small government. From the Revolution onward, the South was the poster child for smaller government, and has always been.

    To the KKK'ers who fly the Confederate flag, **** you. I know what kind of people you are. To the others who fly it, you have my blessing. I understand that the Confederate flag represents a philosophy of smaller government that is returning, after having been.... gone with the wind.... Yea, had to rip that line to set up my closing statement. As much as I detest Rick Perry, I see no problem with his supporting Confederate symbols. As for the politically correct who want to ban those symbols, frankly, I don't give a damn.

    Article is here.
    I'll bet Perry voted for Hitler too.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #228
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    gads, you guys will go to any lengths to deny the truth won't you?

    don't like the definition of a word? no problem, just change it to suit your argument.

    indentured servitude was not slavery. sorry....you lose.....again
    I'm sorry if you have a problem with the law, but that's not my problem; It's yours
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #229
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,359

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Indentured servitude, as practiced in those times, was a form of slavery. Thanks for showing that rightwingers don't understand what slavery is
    Indentured servitude was not only temporary and contractual, but it was voluntary. Hence the term, indentured servant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #230
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,359

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Again, you simply ignore the history of the United States and instead prefer some alternate version of Rebel nonsense. I just provided you with a copy of the Act by the confederate Congress that authorized black troops one frickin' month before the war ended. What is it that you don't understand?
    You've been provided with tons of evidence that not only did blacks serve in the Confederate Army, but some of them served in combat arms units. You can deny the facts all you want, but it will never change the fact that you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •