Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 274

Thread: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

  1. #131
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That's probably true, but then the people flying the flag (a vast majority anyway) are not descended from slaves. .
    I am sure that a vast majority of people flying it today are not descended from slave owners.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #132
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    isn't this the same perry who headed the texans for al gore presidential campaign?
    Oh, no, that was another Governor Rick Perry of Texas. Evidently, there have been several.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You don't really break a law by breaking the vow, especially since people can write their own vows. Frankly, your marriage, your vows both are only worth what you and your spouse put into them. No more. No less.
    Yes you do.

    The law covers it with 'irreconcilable differences', which is a sort of legal junk-box for legal conflicts the State must protect and yet can't touch either.

    If you and your dearly beloved are married while atheist, and later one converts to Islam, this is grounds for divorce. One the one hand you are entitled to legally sue for divorce, but on the other hand the state can't charge someone for holding a given religious preference, as that would be prejudice and discriminatory.

    So the state tosses it into the 'irreconcilable differences' box, divides assets as normal, and issues the decree for the divorce which was started due to religious conflict.

    So yes, the vows do set the terms for the marriage even when the State has to deal with those terms through 'irreconcilable differences'.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    pointing out that you pretend to know that such vow is legally binding
    but you are unable to defend such bogus assertion when called upon to do so
    Pointing out that I'm at Camp McGregor scoring Expert in every weapon system so far and don't always have all day to provide full-service definitions and links to every retard to stupid to use google on their own.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes you do.

    The law covers it with 'irreconcilable differences', which is a sort of legal junk-box for legal conflicts the State must protect and yet can't touch either.

    If you and your dearly beloved are married while atheist, and later one converts to Islam, this is grounds for divorce. One the one hand you are entitled to legally sue for divorce, but on the other hand the state can't charge someone for holding a given religious preference, as that would be prejudice and discriminatory.

    So the state tosses it into the 'irreconcilable differences' box, divides assets as normal, and issues the decree for the divorce which was started due to religious conflict.

    So yes, the vows do set the terms for the marriage even when the State has to deal with those terms through 'irreconcilable differences'.
    Let me know when someone is charged with breaking this law.


    The "terms" are whatever we agree on, broken whenever we decide to break them, and no one gets arrested or fined for breaking them. So, no, the law really doesn't give a ****.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Let me know when someone is charged with breaking this law.


    The "terms" are whatever we agree on, broken whenever we decide to break them, and no one gets arrested or fined for breaking them. So, no, the law really doesn't give a ****.
    You don't get arrested for civil law, derrr. You can't sue someone civilly and expect that they will end up in jail.

    You sue for damages when they commit any one of a variety of offenses against you; in this case by violating the terms of the marriage.

    A divorce is a civil lawsuit, the divorce'er is suing the divorce'ee. The grounds for the divorce when a vow is broken yet no other law has been violated is typically 'irreconcilable differences'.

    Thousands of people get these divorces every day, so you've hereby been notified.

  7. #137
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Pointing out that I'm at Camp McGregor scoring Expert in every weapon system so far and don't always have all day to provide full-service definitions and links to every retard to stupid to use google on their own.
    Translation: Jerry got pwned
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #138
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You don't get arrested for civil law, derrr. You can't sue someone civilly and expect that they will end up in jail.

    You sue for damages when they commit any one of a variety of offenses against you; in this case by violating the terms of the marriage.

    A divorce is a civil lawsuit, the divorce'er is suing the divorce'ee. The grounds for the divorce when a vow is broken yet no other law has been violated is typically 'irreconcilable differences'.

    Thousands of people get these divorces every day, so you've hereby been notified.
    All kinds of grounds, including we just don't like each other any more. hardly law. Law requires somethign codified. Punishable. Getting to leave the spouse you no longer care for is not really a punishment. All you're fighting for after that is a equitable split of the mutual property.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #139
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I am really torn on this one. True, the Confederate flag represents slavery to most people, as the primary purpose in the South's secession was their insistence that they had the right to slavery. But it goes much deeper than that. The Stars and Bars also represents the South's view that the North supported slavery too.... The kind of slavery that comes with one region imposing it's will on another. Yea, I know, I know, it's not the same thing, but there was a culture in the South that saw the big Government of the North as a dictator. In that sense, the Confederate flag represents small government. From the Revolution onward, the South was the poster child for smaller government, and has always been.

    To the KKK'ers who fly the Confederate flag, **** you. I know what kind of people you are. To the others who fly it, you have my blessing. I understand that the Confederate flag represents a philosophy of smaller government that is returning, after having been.... gone with the wind.... Yea, had to rip that line to set up my closing statement. As much as I detest Rick Perry, I see no problem with his supporting Confederate symbols. As for the politically correct who want to ban those symbols, frankly, I don't give a damn.

    Article is here.
    When you learn that that's totally false, you won't be so torn on the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #140
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Perry once defended Confederate symbols

    why does no one ever mention that, in the south, there were actually free blacks who owned other blacks as slaves?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •