Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

  1. #1
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15158163

    Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito have been acquitted of the murder of UK student Meredith Kercher following a successful appeal in Perugia, Italy.
    A bit torn about this case. There is no doubt that the police screwed up, but then there is how Knox acted the days after the murder and her inconstancies and her slander. At least she was convicted for the latter and got 3 years... but still.. it aint normal for someone to do cartwheels the day after a friends murder....

    An appeal will most likely happen, and then an extradition fight since Knox will most likely leave Italy in the next few hours.

    The real sad thing is that the Kercher family still dont know who killed their daughter 4 years ago.
    PeteEU

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    I have a mixed opinion about this case as well.

    Although I haven't followed this trial very closely from start-to-finish, from what I do know of it the plantiff's case wasn't that strong IMO. Most everything the prosecuting attorney presented was circumstantial. And as we learned from such famous murder cases such as the OJ trial, once you plant the seed of evidence tampering not to mention sloppy evidence collections, it pretty much removes any credibility the prosecutions has in the case. So, if the evidence doesn't fit...

    To illustrate what I mean here, clearly the murder victim put up a fight before she died, but there's no evidence to support the claim that she fought with Amanda Knox. No skin under the finger nails, no strands of Miss Knox' hair anywhere on the murder scene, no bloody clothing of Miss Knox' w/the victim's blood on them. Nothing...

    Now, behavior-wise I would agree that it would seem odd to some for Miss Knox' to be turning cartwheels the day after her roommate/friend's murder, but as I understand events Miss Knox wasn't aware of the girl's murder until days later. So, unless I'm wrong on the timeline I don't see how this young woman going on with her life in a carefree manner (i.e., turning cartwheels) necessarily equates to her being so cavalier. In any event, if that's the best argument the prosecution has concerning this case, it's no wonder Miss Knox was set free.

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    I'm glad to hear it. The entire prosecution was a sham, in my opinion. There wasn't a shred of evidence connecting Knox with the murder... not a shred. Cartwheels do not a murderer make. I'm thrilled that bin Laden was killed. Doesn't mean that I'm the one who killed him.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    Her conviction was based on faulty evidence and it appears the prosecutor used just about every epithet to attack Amanda you can think of without using profanity.

    I have no clue if she is guilty, but I do know she is a very lucky young lady getting released after all the stories she told.

    She needs to be a plane ASAP because I understand the prosecutor was considering refiling because Italy allows double jeopardy.

  5. #5
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I'm glad to hear it. The entire prosecution was a sham, in my opinion. There wasn't a shred of evidence connecting Knox with the murder... not a shred. Cartwheels do not a murderer make. I'm thrilled that bin Laden was killed. Doesn't mean that I'm the one who killed him.
    I agree but what got her into deep trouble was supposedly she lied to police and blamed the murder on the African First..I cant remember names..then another person and thats what raised their suspicions...there was no physical evidence howerver...this case was quite confusing..
    But like pete said you have feel for the family of the murdered girl...

  6. #6
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    She needs to be a plane ASAP because I understand the prosecutor was considering refiling because Italy allows double jeopardy.
    Really? The State can try someone for the same crime twice? Dang. Yeah, she's best looking at getting the fudge out of dodge. Maybe she got away with murder, we'll never really know for sure. But the Prosecution didn't seem very competent, nor did they seem to have compelling data. So they were left with hearsay, supposition and name calling, and that shouldn't really be enough for a murder conviction.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,900

    Re: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I have a mixed opinion about this case as well.

    Although I haven't followed this trial very closely from start-to-finish, from what I do know of it the plantiff's case wasn't that strong IMO. Most everything the prosecuting attorney presented was circumstantial. And as we learned from such famous murder cases such as the OJ trial, once you plant the seed of evidence tampering not to mention sloppy evidence collections, it pretty much removes any credibility the prosecutions has in the case. So, if the evidence doesn't fit...

    To illustrate what I mean here, clearly the murder victim put up a fight before she died, but there's no evidence to support the claim that she fought with Amanda Knox. No skin under the finger nails, no strands of Miss Knox' hair anywhere on the murder scene, no bloody clothing of Miss Knox' w/the victim's blood on them. Nothing...

    Now, behavior-wise I would agree that it would seem odd to some for Miss Knox' to be turning cartwheels the day after her roommate/friend's murder, but as I understand events Miss Knox wasn't aware of the girl's murder until days later. So, unless I'm wrong on the timeline I don't see how this young woman going on with her life in a carefree manner (i.e., turning cartwheels) necessarily equates to her being so cavalier. In any event, if that's the best argument the prosecution has concerning this case, it's no wonder Miss Knox was set free.
    All I think I remember is that part of the prosecution's case was about a sex game gone wrong and that someone how Knox, the Italian boyfriend, and the African guy were all involved somehow. Something about a nightclub? And the African was convicted long ago, right? But some think he was a patsy?

    So who has the facts?

  8. #8
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post

    A bit torn about this case. There is no doubt that the police screwed up,
    Screwed up?... The Italian police and press should be ashamed of themselves! Her conviction was not only a travesty of justice but perhaps the most outrageous example of Continental anti-American bias as has been displayed in years.

    but then there is how Knox acted the days after the murder and her inconstancies and her slander. At least she was convicted for the latter and got 3 years... but still.. it aint normal for someone to do cartwheels the day after a friends murder....
    What ain't normal is convicting someone of murder for doing cartwheels. Doing cartwheels while waiting idly for hours at the police station is just as likely to be a mixed expression of ennui, apprehension, and immaturity as it is anything else. We are talking about a young woman just barely out of high school. Cartwheels are NOT evidence.

    Her inconsistencies and false indictment of Lumumba should be the first clue that she was making up stories in order to appease her interrogators, which is not at all unusual during prolonged interrogations.

    An appeal will most likely happen, and then an extradition fight since Knox will most likely leave Italy in the next few hours.
    There will be no appeal. Despite what this degenerate prosecutor says, the Italian judiciary will want nothing more than to get this embarassing fiasco behind them as soon as possible.

    The real sad thing is that the Kercher family still dont know who killed their daughter 4 years ago.
    It is more than obvious that Rudy Guede murdered Kercher. If her bereaved parents cannot accept that for some unfathomable reason, then they should seek counseling.

  9. #9
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    A bit torn about this case. There is no doubt that the police screwed up, but then there is how Knox acted the days after the murder and her inconstancies and her slander.
    There isn't a shred of evidence linking her to the murder. Absolutely nothing.

    At least she was convicted for the latter and got 3 years.
    Glad you applaud when police bully someone into agreeing with a story that THEY concocted, then convict her of slander.

    but still.. it aint normal for someone to do cartwheels the day after a friends murder.
    Whether it's "normal" has no bearing on whether or not she was guilty of the crime.

    An appeal will most likely happen, and then an extradition fight since Knox will most likely leave Italy in the next few hours.
    There won't be an extradition fight. If it comes to that, the US government will tell Italy to **** off and that will be the end of it. As it should.

    The real sad thing is that the Kercher family still dont know who killed their daughter 4 years ago.
    The killer is obviously the man whom the evidence DOES link to the crime, Rudy Guede.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #10
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Amanda Knox wins Meredith Kercher murder appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Really? The State can try someone for the same crime twice? Dang. Yeah, she's best looking at getting the fudge out of dodge. Maybe she got away with murder, we'll never really know for sure. But the Prosecution didn't seem very competent, nor did they seem to have compelling data. So they were left with hearsay, supposition and name calling, and that shouldn't really be enough for a murder conviction.
    Yeah, its nuts. There is no double jeopardy prohibition in Italy. A prosecutor can keep charging you for the same crime over and over. Nuts.

    Case is just nuts all around. Not sure if she did it, pretty sure she was involved in some way, shape or form. Of course thats solely gut feeling based on the info released. She certainly didn't behave like someone who had just had someone close to them murdered, brutally.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •