Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 606

Thread: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

  1. #71
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    I recommend you check out Paul Street's book Crashing the Tea Party. There was never anything grassroots about it.
    So because some anti capitalist, radical, buffoon says it, and you agree with that tripe that Street writes, then it must be true eh?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #72
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So because some anti capitalist, radical, buffoon says it, and you agree with that tripe that Street writes, then it must be true eh?

    j-mac
    It may well be true. It is possible for someone to be an anti capitalist, radical, buffoon to you, and still be correct.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    I recommend you check out Paul Street's book Crashing the Tea Party. There was never anything grassroots about it.
    I think there were actual groups with a history going back a ways that were actual grassroots organizations.

    What I saw was Armey and the Kochs attempt to ccopt them in an attempt to rebrand the Republican Party (Now with 100% fewer family values homosexuals!)

    And then those from the original movements, mixed with those drawn to it by the publicity derived from the astroturfing effort, grabbed the reins and returned to an actual movement.

    This created a schism in the GOP that they are still trying to keep from dividing the party right before an election with a LOT of money riding on it.

    Can you give me a quick breakdown of what the author of the book posits?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #74
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So because some anti capitalist, radical, buffoon says it, and you agree with that tripe that Street writes, then it must be true eh?

    j-mac
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #75
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Sometimes it is and somwtimes it isn't.

    The incident I mentioned was at one of the big anti-war protests in New York. A march to a rally. Turnout was higher than anticipated, and there was a choke point getting into the venue for the rally. In large crowds in motion, when the front stops and the back doesn't, the middle gets squished, sometimes catastrophically.

    The officers lining the route directed marchers onto a side street to "vent" the crowd pressure, bht when the crowd met the second line of cordons on tje next block they were told to turn back, but were unable to do so because they were being pushed from behind by people who thought they were following directions.

    Things went downhill, but ultimately it was determined to be no ones fault and I think most charges from both sides were dropped when it became clear that this particular instance was simply accidental.

    But the fact that there IS a term like "kettling" is indicative of it being a tactic, and could be part of an overall crowd control stategy for certain situations.

    And just on general principles I would advise everyone to be sceptical of "instigators", we've all seen Cartman on South Park running around in a crowd using different voices to try to rouse the rabble.

    I would certainly consider salting a crowd with artificial jackasses to discredit a protest against ME, or at a rally for my opponent.

    Lots of starving actors in New York.

    Them SuperPACs gotta spend that money somewhere!
    I know, it was Bill Kristol running through the crowd, shouting 'we're not gonna take it....'



    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #76
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Meaning you can't or won't answer him?
    No, meaning that he should re read what he commented on for comprehension...I thought that was clearly typed....

    J, you over simplify and are actually using a minority to paint the whole both in using this article and how you paint those who oppose the Tea Party. Both sides have extremeists. Tea party memebers are more extremeist of the republican party, not that 100% of them are republican mine you. But those who join the tea party are LARGELY more extreme. Code pink is, for example, more extreme than you every day democrat or even the everyday liberal. Such groups tend to go too far. It is not partisan or sterotyping to say that.
    I see, so if we as conservatives don't agree with radical agenda's that have taken over, and co-opted the liberal left in government today, then we are the extremists....Nice how you do that so effortlessly.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #77
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, meaning that he should re read what he commented on for comprehension...I thought that was clearly typed....
    As nothing he said showed he lacked comprehension, that statement made no sense, hence, one has to question what you were really doing.

    I see, so if we as conservatives don't agree with radical agenda's that have taken over, and co-opted the liberal left in government today, then we are the extremists....Nice how you do that so effortlessly.

    j-mac
    More, if you see radical everywhere, you are the radical.

    But that really doesn't address what I said. have you read for cpmphrehension yet?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #78
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As nothing he said showed he lacked comprehension, that statement made no sense, hence, one has to question what you were really doing.



    More, if you see radical everywhere, you are the radical.

    But that really doesn't address what I said. have you read for cpmphrehension yet?
    Here we go...Joe, when you start out disingenuous in posting, and have obviously lost what ever argument you were attempting within the second post to me, then sorry dude you are no longer worth the comment...Thanks for playin' though. Better luck next time.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I know, it was Bill Kristol running through the crowd, shouting 'we're not gonna take it....'



    j-mac
    You know, this is purely anecdotal, but I ran with the hippy, anti war crowd for a while.

    I have questioned anarchist protesters about incidents like the vandalism at that WTO protest, as one protester to another in a friendly environment and been told by more than one on more than one occasion that nobody knew the kids who started the vandalism.

    These kids are very tribal, they all know each other, they participate in radical actions, but didn't disavow what those kids did, as they did setting fire to developments for instance, but denied that those responsible were part of the group at all.

    Agents provocateur is a genuine, historic tactic. It is disingenuous to pretend there's no sucha thing. Especially considering from a purely cost/benefit perspective.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #80
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac
    So because some anti capitalist, radical, buffoon says it, and you agree with that tripe that Street writes, then it must be true eh?
    Street's book is highly sourced. Paul even went to local Tea Party group meetings to see what it was about and, like Chomsky, had at that time false impressions that there was any sort of grassroots base to it.

    Now, unless you can present some evidence which shows this grassroots nature - something nobody has ever been able to present - then go for it. But the fact that you have to whine about Paul's politics instead of addressing what we're talking about exposes the fact that you are wrong and just don't want to admit it.

    Quote Originally Posted by what if...?

    Can you give me a quick breakdown of what the author of the book posits?
    "The Tea Party portrayed in this book is not a social movement, but rather a loose conglomeration of partisan interest groups set on returning the Republican Party to power. Despite protestations to the contrary, the Tea Party is Astroturf and partisan Republican to the core. We find little to no evidence that it is a manifestation of local populism. It is not an "uprising" against a corrupt political system or against the established social order. Rather, it is a reactionary, top-down manifestation of that system, dressed up and sold as an outsider rebellion set on changing the rules in Washington. Far from being antiestablishment, the Tea Party is, we feel, a classic, right-wing, and fundamentally Republican epitomy of what the formerly left policial commentator Christopher Hitchens once called "the essence of American politics": "the manipulation of populism by elitism" (emphasis added)..."
    Street, Paul and Dimaggio, Anthony. Crashing the Tea Party. p.10
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 10-03-11 at 03:28 PM.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •