Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 606

Thread: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Republicans spend as much as democrats. If there is any difference, it's just what they spend on.
    Actually no President in history has created as much debt as Barrack Obama.

    Where do you think those spending differences lie?

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Uh, it's more than Fox News, it's the entire media establishment, including MSNBC, NPR and other so-called 'liberal' media outlets.
    Yes, the media should stop reporting on any tax protests.

    Spoken like a true 'liberal'!

  3. #183
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No, i think i'll prefer to stick to your statement I was responding to, which was this.




    The fact is that many went through depressions and recessions and survived to build themselves up and create better lives for themselves. In fact almost an entire generation did just that.

    Now, for some odd reason, and with no evidence whatsoever, you claim that the odds of achieving success is akin to winning a lottery.

    That''s untrue of course, as millions of people can attest, but what would you do to change the system in order that success comes more easily and with less effort?
    And many did not. The entire generation did not succeed. Merely being alive is not equal to succeeding. It seems you romanticize the time period more than you look at it critically. People were camped out on the WH house lawn. Poverty was rampant. Churches were begging the government for help as they couldn't handle the load. No, you see it much differently than it really was.

    But we don't need to go to that extreme. It's a simple concept. Where end depends a lot on where you start, that's just a fact. However, whether you can see it or not, the last sentence summarizes my main thought. Some may well beat the odds. it happens. But the majority does not. They may well eek out a living, as one almost has to. But that is not the same as succeeding to any significatant level.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #184
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Actually no President in history has created as much debt as Barrack Obama.

    Where do you think those spending differences lie?
    You overstate it. Some of what is included in Obama's numbers actually came from Bush. But. let's not recycle all that. It should not be hard to agree both spend, a lot. The debt isn't new, and neither is spending. And republicans when they held all thepower did not decrease the debt or control spending. That is a fact we should not have to debate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And many did not. The entire generation did not succeed. Merely being alive is not equal to succeeding. It seems you romanticize the time period more than you look at it critically. People were camped out on the WH house lawn. Poverty was rampant. Churches were begging the government for help as they couldn't handle the load. No, you see it much differently than it really was.
    Are you talking about the Great Depression here? If so you made my point. Families were far better off in the fifties, sixties than they were in the 30's.
    But we don't need to go to that extreme. It's a simple concept. Where end depends a lot on where you start, that's just a fact. However, whether you can see it or not, the last sentence summarizes my main thought. Some may well beat the odds. it happens. But the majority does not. They may well eek out a living, as one almost has to. But that is not the same as succeeding to any significatant level.
    Then what is your idea is success? Just living a good and decent life isn't enough?

    And what do you propose to do to change the odds to be sure that everyone is successful?

  6. #186
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    and your opinions of the Tea Party? They seem to have a lot of time to stand around and hold signs up as well.
    not really; they didn't camp out places for weeks. Most of them have jobs and families to support - so they show up for a few hours, sing God Bless America, cheer the notion that they should be asked to provide more for themselves, and then politely pick up their trash as they leave.


    so.... no. complete comparison fail.

  7. #187
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Everyone knows Bush was a neocon, its no secret by now. Most people know a neocon is a liberal on social issues and very much into policing the world. To the most part they are conservative on economic issues but they are known to have shortcoming if social issues come into play. Some like to say they are inconsistent conservatives, but I call them not conservative at all. They buckle so fast I have trouble imagining they even stand for it at all. They surely don't support free market economics as they very much are into government intervention in the market and have trouble accepting much if any of the principles that it involves. It would probably be more accurate to say they're liberals pretending to be conservative with a fighters edge but even that seems wrong to me. In the end they aren't liberals through and through but fit far closer to liberals than conservative by any measure. I stick by what I said.
    Look at this new conservative tactic! I love it!

    "Yeah he may have sucked ass, but that is only because he was a liberal in disguise!" Get real man. There was nothing liberal about George W. Bush. Do not push him onto us. Thanks.

    *Edit to add:

    I smell a trollolololol.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 10-04-11 at 06:51 PM.

  8. #188
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    not really; they didn't camp out places for weeks. Most of them have jobs and families to support - so they show up for a few hours, sing God Bless America, cheer the notion that they should be asked to provide more for themselves, and then politely pick up their trash as they leave.


    so.... no. complete comparison fail.
    Again, you do not know that these people do not have jobs. How do you know that? Do you know anything about any person there? Also, as I posted, there was a week-long Tea Party rally last year.

  9. #189
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    The Tea Party was an Astroturf organized by corporate powers and promoted by Fox News, Wall Street protesters are a real grass roots organization.
    Actually, the tea party more or less started with the libertarian V protests, that then got hijacked and taken over by extreme conservatives. I was a part of the tea party before it made it onto main stream news, before it became a household name.

  10. #190
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More than 700 arrested in Wall Street protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

    Are you talking about the Great Depression here? If so you made my point. Families were far better off in the fifties, sixties than they were in the 30's.
    No, they weren't. That's a romanticized view that really isn't supported by facts.

    Then what is your idea is success? Just living a good and decent life isn't enough?

    And what do you propose to do to change the odds to be sure that everyone is successful?
    Didn't say that. I said just being alive isn't success.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •