Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 619

Thread: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

  1. #271
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,716

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    He's an American citizen with Constitutional rights.
    Apparently, thats what we call an 'opinion' and isnt shared by those tasked with the responsibility for actually doing something about the problem.

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    02-23-12 @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    791

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    If Yemen can charge Al-Awlaki in absentia, then why can't the US? Not a single charge was brought against Al-Awlaki. Not even an attempt to charge the man was made.

    Some of us appreciate justice when it is carried out in a normal manner. If you're guilty of doing something, then you have the law and the courts. Everyone knows that a half decent prosecutor could bring an indictment against a cold cup of coffee. Why no indict Al-Awlaki?

    It is not Al-Awlaki's death that is troublesome, but how it was carried out. This is not a "special" case. America has a history of capturing, imprisoning, and even torturing people without ever charging them.

    Are we a nation of principles and rule of law or are we a nation that values lynch mobs?

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Not while he is fighting for the enemy. Had he been captured then he might have had the right to be tried by military tribunal. None of that was necessary since we were not likely to capture him.
    Incorrect opinion noted.

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    We are too far apart to ever come together on this.
    We cannot prosecute a war if being an American citizen can shelter one from attack while being an unlawful enemy combatant.
    On this point I shall no longer respond. It would merely boor the others.
    Don't reply. You would simply continue ignoring the fact that he could have been tried.

  5. #275
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    Quote Originally Posted by Sensibility View Post
    He put on the uniform of the enemy and fought in their army. Just because it's not a conventional army of a nation-state doesn't bother me in the least. He chose to fight for the enemy. At that point, he's an enemy combatant on a foreign battlefield. Too bad, so sad for him.

    Had he been in the United States, I can see your point. He wasn't. He was with the enemy on THEIR side of the battlefield.
    Again, the SCOTUS has ruled that being an enemy combatant does not remove your rights. Ones rights are not dependant on where they are at.

  6. #276
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    He is a terrorist. He can now be one of Jeff Dunhams pals.
    Thanks for addressing my point.

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Apparently, thats what we call an 'opinion' and isnt shared by those tasked with the responsibility for actually doing something about the problem.
    No, those are facts.

  8. #278
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    Al-dirtbag dead. Ron Paul reconfirmed as a moonbat. That's a two-fer with one shot.

  9. #279
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,716

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Thanks for addressing my point.
    The point cant be any clearer. Dood represented a clear and present danger. He is/was a threat to the US. Candidate Obama preached about how he would offer constitutional rights to terrorists. President Obama realizes national security is more than feel good pretty speeches. Thats why he reneged on his campaign promise. Thats why he aggresively pursues terrorists. The guy taking his dirt nap and chilling with his 72 virgins? He earned it and is right where he belongs. Your opinion is contrary to the opinion of those responsible for making the decisions and those that validate those decisions. THAT is the fact.

  10. #280
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Apparently, thats what we call an 'opinion' and isnt shared by those tasked with the responsibility for actually doing something about the problem.
    Incorrect. At the time of his death, al-Awlaki was an American citizen. (Was Anwar al-Awlaki still a U.S. citizen? | FP Passport) And therefore subject to US law.


    In order to lose his citizenship, it must be shown that the U.S. citizen joined the foreign military or swore allegiance to another state "with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality" -- a very tough standard. There's no evidence that Awlaki ever formally renounced his U.S. citizenship.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •