Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 118

Thread: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I have this debate with my brother, he doesn't have your viewpoint
    So...?

    I think it's wrong that most American can afford out of pocket stuff they really NEED...
    Why?

    I disagree on one major issue, is our goal to provide health insurance to a majority of Americans or not?
    No, it isn't. "We" have no responsibility whatsoever to make sure that anyone has anything.
    You, personally, may think you have a moral responsibility to do so, but you have an outlet for that, and you have no standing whatsoever to impose that morality on others.

    Another would be....is healthcare really a good similar to say buying an IPOD?
    Goods and services are goods and services; all are subject to market forces.
    Last edited by PzKfW IVe; 10-04-11 at 01:21 PM.

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,360

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The rightwingers are all for mandates, except when they're against them (like when a Dem is president)

    The rightwing has no principles. All they have is a bunch of slogans that they repeat when convenient, and they throw their "principles" under the bus when they become inconvenient
    Is anyone else here tired of these mindless generalizations?

  3. #63
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    The choice to pay for one's health care costs out of pocket - the choice you want to deny to everyone - affects no one else.
    What are we talking here, emergency room visits, expensive care or day to day check ups. I disagree with you that anybody is making the choice for "paying out of pocket" for anything besides a checkup. This idea that "paying out of pocket" is realistic for the services that are costing the most (no checkups are not the cost drivers) for most Americans is false.

    This does nothing to negate what I said - you can rationalize your support for bigger government and less power in the hands of the people however you want - you're still arguing for bigger government and less power for the people.
    I'm sorry, this idea that you can forgo paying for a service and depend on others is nothing other than being a free rider and is basically an argument of no government. You're same reasoning, people should have a choice to not pay taxes. Hey, drive on the roads, send your kids to public education, all in the name of "choice".

  4. #64
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    So then things people need to live should have their costs be socialized? Define what exactly we NEED to live, sir? Food, air, water, yes. Those are the things we NEED to live, as in, without, we ALL DIE, sick OR healthy. And only ONE of those things is free...for now. Everything else is just to make living more livable.
    Actually, all of the things you mentioned are partially socialized. There is govt subsidies for clear air, water, food, and yes, health care
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #65
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    You copied and pasted one sentence out of paragraphs Pzkf....and completely ignored the rest of the paragraphs. For example...I outlined where all goods and services are not equal...I'm not going to repeat what I wrote.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    So then things people need to live should have their costs be socialized? Define what exactly we NEED to live, sir? Food, air, water, yes. Those are the things we NEED to live, as in, without, we ALL DIE, sick OR healthy. And only ONE of those things is free...for now. Everything else is just to make living more livable.
    The argument is that everyone has a right to health care, and because of this, everyone is entitled to the means to exercise that right.
    This argument is, of course, rather selective as to which -other- rights it applies.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    You copied and pasted one sentence out of paragraphs Pzkf....and completely ignored the rest of the paragraphs. For example...I outlined where all goods and services are not equal...I'm not going to repeat what I wrote.
    I only address what is necessary to address and cull the fluff - and in the case of your example, above, I -did- address it.

    Never mind the irony found in the fact that -you- didnt address what -I- said.
    Last edited by PzKfW IVe; 10-04-11 at 01:31 PM.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    What are we talking here, emergency room visits, expensive care or day to day check ups
    No - we're talking about taking away the choice to pay for health care expenses out-of-pocket.
    You cannot deny that you support taking away that choice, and that choice has no effect on anyone else.
    Why do you want to take away the right to make a choice that affects no one other than the pweron who makes it?

    I'm sorry, this idea that you can forgo paying for a service and depend on others is nothing other than being a free rider and is basically an argument of no government.
    THis is a both a non-sequitur and red herring rolled all into one line. Well done.
    My statement still stands.

  9. #69
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    No - we're talking about taking away the choice to pay for health care expenses out-of-pocket.
    People with health insurance can still pay out of pocket. It's their choice
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #70
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    I only address what is necessary to address and cull the fluff - and in the case of your example, above, I -did- address it.
    You didn't address anything. You just stated "It is because I said it is".

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •