Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 118

Thread: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    The charge that's it's unconstitutional, a key talking point, is rendered moot.
    The charge that The Obama and His friends are big-governmentr liberals looking to take away your right to choose, however, is not.

  2. #32
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    The charge that The Obama and His friends are big-governmentr liberals looking to take away your right to choose, however, is not.
    Chose what? Either to be responsible and pay for your own insurance or go to the Emergency room and make everyone else pay for it?

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Chose what? Either to be responsible and pay for your own insurance or go to the Emergency room and make everyone else pay for it?
    False dichotomy.
    Among othe things, you also have the choice to pay for your health care yourself.
    Well... you did, until the Party of Choice took your right to make that choice away from you.

  4. #34
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    False dichotomy.
    Among othe things, you also have the choice to pay for your health care yourself.
    Well... you did, until the Party of Choice took your right to make that choice away from you.
    How is that false? That's exactly what is happening. No one goes without any care in the US. Therefore, if you don't pay for it (if you need it) the rest of us do. It's the reason Conservatives and Heritage were all for it in the 90's. Individual responsibility and all of that.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    How is that false?
    I said it was a false dichotomy. You offered only two choices when more than two exist.
    Among othe things, you also have the choice to pay for your health care yourself.
    Thus, there are more than the two choices you offered.

    The Party of Choice has taken your right to make that choice away from you.

  6. #36
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    I said it was a false dichotomy. You offered only two choices when more than two exist.
    Among othe things, you also have the choice to pay for your health care yourself.
    Thus, there are more than the two choices you offered.

    The Party of Choice has taken your right to make that choice away from you.
    So you are under the view that some of the unisured currently could pay out of pocket for say chemotherapy if they have cancer?

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    So you are under the view that some of the unisured currently could pay out of pocket for say chemotherapy if they have cancer?
    Certainly.

    The point you're trying to not address is that The Party of Choice has taken the right to make that choice away from them.
    Why do you not want to address that?

  8. #38
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    There's actually no way that the supreme court will be touching this any time soon. One of the prerequisites that a case must meet before being granted certiorari is actual harm. No one can claim to have been harmed by a provision that is not yet in effect.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    There's actually no way that the supreme court will be touching this any time soon. One of the prerequisites that a case must meet before being granted certiorari is actual harm. No one can claim to have been harmed by a provision that is not yet in effect.
    IIRC....
    The states are taking the case to the Court. Their argument is that the law, by virtue of its very existence, violates their rights under the 10th.
    Thus, harm.

    Aside from that, so long as 4 justices agree that specific of the petition, whatever they are, warrant a review, cert can be granted..

  10. #40
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Certainly.

    The point you're trying to not address is that The Party of Choice has taken the right to make that choice away from them.
    Why do you not want to address that?
    Since when has Democrats been the party of "choice". Saying a woman has the right to choose what she does with her body or who someone wants to marry is different than saying someone has the right to forgo insurance premiums because if they go to the hospital then everyone else covers it.

    I personally would prefer a Single Payer system which the rest of the world uses and has much lower medical costs. Instead, conservative prefer our currenct system where costs rise much higher than wage growth and is bankrupting the country. Your choice is sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending that there's nothing wrong that we don't have to change anything.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •