Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 118

Thread: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

  1. #21
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I don't agree it's lose/lose.


    If it's not found unconstitutional, then the GOP is aligned against a constitutional bill. That's a win as far as I can see and defending it becomes more easy.
    not politically - politically it just puts the energy back at the 2010 level. Either way, it's harder for him to get reelected.

    which means ( and this i find interesting ) potentially, that's a secondary consideration.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Instant Reaction: the administration evidently thought that if this case didn't come up until 2013, there was a good chance a Republican Solicitor General would choose not to defend it.
    I didn't think of that. Good point.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,133

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    unconstitutional or not, it's a poor plan. the plan forces people into purchasing from for-profit companies when what we should really be doing is expanding medicare to include those who can't afford an expensive private plan. and we should also be working to bring down costs.

    the plan does do some good things, but it's barely better than nothing and is certainly not a hill to die on politically. it should have been scrapped and started over at a time when the economy wasn't collapsing and with a more friendly congress. the beginning point of the debate was barely enough, and what it got compromised into is closer to useless than a national health plan should be.

  4. #24
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    unconstitutional or not, it's a poor plan. the plan forces people into purchasing from for-profit companies when what we should really be doing is expanding medicare to include those who can't afford an expensive private plan. and we should also be working to bring down costs.

    the plan does do some good things, but it's barely better than nothing and is certainly not a hill to die on politically. it should have been scrapped and started over at a time when the economy wasn't collapsing and with a more friendly congress. the beginning point of the debate was barely enough, and what it got compromised into is closer to useless than a national health plan should be.
    The act will provide 30 million people who presently lack health insurance with health insurance. I would hardly call that worthless.

    In addition it will prevent insurance companies from denying coverage for preexisting conditions, it will prevent them from canceling insurance when it's needed most, it will eliminate lifetime limits, and it will require insurance companies to spend more of their premiums on health care. These are all very good things.

    I think that single payer is the only way to contain costs, but it's not politically feasible at this time.

  5. #25
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    not politically - politically it just puts the energy back at the 2010 level. Either way, it's harder for him to get reelected.

    which means ( and this i find interesting ) potentially, that's a secondary consideration.
    For the GOP, Obama's election chances are of primary consideration. To the point where they will make every effort to destroy their own idea.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,960

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    not politically - politically it just puts the energy back at the 2010 level. Either way, it's harder for him to get reelected.

    which means ( and this i find interesting ) potentially, that's a secondary consideration.
    I don't see how you get back to 2010 levels. If found constitutional, one of the GOP's key arguments against health care reform is rendered moot. Such was not the case in 2010.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  7. #27
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Does anyone REALLY think that Scalia will allow the court to strike down a law requiring people to buy things? Seriously? It puts more money into the pockets of big business. This is right up his alley. And he usually gets what he wants.
    I agree. This call to jump to the Supremes means that Obama's team has figured out how the final 5-4 vote is going to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  8. #28
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I don't see how you get back to 2010 levels. If found constitutional, one of the GOP's key arguments against health care reform is rendered moot. Such was not the case in 2010.
    If you think the passion against Obamacare was driven by its' constitutionality rather than it's massive expansion of government into our lives and our economy.....


    trust me on this - if SCOTUS refuses to strike down Obamacare, it ignites conservatives and makes it quite clear to independents (who loathe the thing almost as much as independents do) that the only way out of it is to vote Obama out.

  9. #29
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    If my prayers are answered the Supreme Court will say HELL NO to Obama Care, and we can start on the road to the rest of thinking America to say NO to Obama next year, so that we can begin to heal our economy and end Obama's push for class warfare that could end in tragedy.

  10. #30
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: White House asks Supreme Court to rule on healthcare law

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill
    If you think the passion against Obamacare was driven by its' constitutionality rather than it's massive expansion of government into our lives and our economy.....
    The PASSION is stated by McConnell "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president"

    As far as the 'massive' expansion of government into our lives and our economy, people pretty much like the things that are in the ACA.


    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill
    trust me on this



    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill
    - if SCOTUS refuses to strike down Obamacare, it ignites conservatives and makes it quite clear to independents (who loathe the thing almost as much as independents do) that the only way out of it is to vote Obama out.
    Conservatives are ignited by rhetoric from their cheerleaders...
    "That means that we can — and should — propose and vote on straight repeal, repeatedly" and the only way Republicans in Congress can achieve their goals is "to put someone in the White House who won't veto" a repeal of Obama's health care reform, spending cuts and shrinking the government. - Mitch McConnell


    Independents don't seem to be as aligned with conservatives on this issue as you may think. Looks like polling interest in health care repeal has fallen off as of late.

    CBS/NYTimes 1-20-11
    Seventy-three percent of Republicans favor repeal, Independents favor keeping it by a small margin, 45 percent to 38 percent.

    CNN 1-18-11
    For repeal - 47 percent among independent voters and 84 percent among Republicans

    Gallup 1-7-11
    eight of 10 Republicans support repeal - Independents are inclined to support repeal, but by a margin too small to be statistically significant

    Foxnews 1-20-11
    over half of independents (56 percent) and almost all Republicans (87 percent) would repeal it
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •