Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

  1. #1
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    A federal judge refused Wednesday to block key parts of a closely watched Alabama law that is considered the strictest state effort to clamp down on illegal immigration, including a measure that requires immigration status checks of public school students.


    This case is going to have a big impact down the road on states immigration laws vs federal




    Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    A federal judge refused Wednesday to block key parts of a closely watched Alabama law that is considered the strictest state effort to clamp down on illegal immigration, including a measure that requires immigration status checks of public school students.


    This case is going to have a big impact down the road on states immigration laws vs federal




    Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    That's good new. Hopefully the SC will uphold all of it and we can see illegals fleeing to every sanctuary state in the country thus forcing those states to crack down on illegals too. Because its one thing when those 12-20 millions are spread across 40 something states (I say 40 something because states like Arizona, Oklahoma, Alabama and few others have enacted laws to discourage illegal immigration),12-20 million illegals in a handful of states can be a major drain on state money and resources.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    That's good new. Hopefully the SC will uphold all of it and we can see illegals fleeing to every sanctuary state in the country thus forcing those states to crack down on illegals too. Because its one thing when those 12-20 millions are spread across 40 something states (I say 40 something because states like Arizona, Oklahoma, Alabama and few others have enacted laws to discourage illegal immigration),12-20 million illegals in a handful of states can be a major drain on state money and resources.
    Your right its no longer just a western US problem...they are in every state of the Union...it MUST be slowed down...we just cant afford it....the employers get all the benefits, dirt cheap wages with no benefits and it enables them to shaft american workers and not have to pay higher salaries...and the rest of us get the privledge to pay for their healthcare and public education and everything else

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    01-09-12 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    I don't need a Gardner, or a maid so as far as I am concerned, this is great news. Now I'm sure all those millionaires might not think the same way, but who cares...they're not paying my mortgage anyway!

  5. #5
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Your right its no longer just a western US problem...they are in every state of the Union...it MUST be slowed down...we just cant afford it....the employers get all the benefits, dirt cheap wages with no benefits and it enables them to shaft american workers and not have to pay higher salaries...and the rest of us get the privledge to pay for their healthcare and public education and everything else
    Be careful what you wish for. The private sector is not fond of big-government conservatism.

    "An Alabama law to tackle illegal immigration is coming under fire from some business leaders in the state, who say the measure is undermining Alabama's economy even before it takes effect.

    Representatives of agribusiness, the state's biggest industry, and sectors such as construction, which is charged with rebuilding the tornado-hit city of Tuscaloosa, are reporting worker shortages because of immigrants already fleeing the state. The state agriculture commission says squash, tomatoes and other produce are rotting in the fields.

    "We have a big problem on our hands," said Brett Hall, the state's deputy commissioner for agriculture and industry. "Farmers and business people could go under."

    Their experiences mirror those of business leaders and farmers in Georgia, who have complained that a similar law signed in May in their state is driving away immigrant workers vital to farming, poultry, restaurants and other businesses in the state."

    Alabama Immigrant Law Irks Business - WSJ.com

  6. #6
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. The private sector is not fond of big-government conservatism.

    "An Alabama law to tackle illegal immigration is coming under fire from some business leaders in the state, who say the measure is undermining Alabama's economy even before it takes effect.

    Representatives of agribusiness, the state's biggest industry, and sectors such as construction, which is charged with rebuilding the tornado-hit city of Tuscaloosa, are reporting worker shortages because of immigrants already fleeing the state. The state agriculture commission says squash, tomatoes and other produce are rotting in the fields.

    "We have a big problem on our hands," said Brett Hall, the state's deputy commissioner for agriculture and industry. "Farmers and business people could go under."

    Their experiences mirror those of business leaders and farmers in Georgia, who have complained that a similar law signed in May in their state is driving away immigrant workers vital to farming, poultry, restaurants and other businesses in the state."

    Alabama Immigrant Law Irks Business - WSJ.com
    Then those people need to get off their butts and either do more work themselves or hire American workers to do it. They do not have a right to hire illegal immigrants to do the work.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #7
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Then those people need to get off their butts and either do more work themselves or hire American workers to do it. They do not have a right to hire illegal immigrants to do the work.
    I'm sure they would be more than happy to hire Americans or legal immigrants, but no one is lining up to do back-breaking work for low wages. There is no free lunch. If you want to shut off the supply of cheap labor the cost will be higher food and construction prices and exporting jobs to lower wage countries.

    What's needed is a more realistic quota for low-wage immigrant visas. Republicans need to drop their nonsensical opposition to immigration reform unless we first shut off the flow of illegal immigrants. These are two sides of the same coin.
    Last edited by AdamT; 09-29-11 at 12:10 PM.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    It's a step on the right direction but it's not enough solve the problem.

    If the laws on the books were enforced and employers were sanctioned as they should be the majority of the problem would solved pronto because if the illegals can't work they have to go back where they came from.

    The savings would be in the billions of dollars, and the economy would begin to rebound, but it would take the reduction in the number of weeks one can draw unemployment checks because statistics show that people find a job just as benefits run out.

  9. #9
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I'm sure they would be more than happy to hire Americans or legal immigrants, but no one is lining up to do back-breaking work for low wages. There is no free lunch. If you want to shut off the supply of cheap labor the cost will be higher food and construction prices and exporting jobs to lower wage countries.

    What's needed is a more realistic quota for low-wage immigrant visas.
    I'm pretty sure there are people in the US who would be more than happy to do those jobs if they a) knew about them, b) could get to the jobs, and c) were getting paid a livable wage for doing those jobs, especially people with families to support.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #10
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are people in the US who would be more than happy to do those jobs if they a) knew about them, b) could get to the jobs, and c) were getting paid a livable wage for doing those jobs, especially people with families to support.
    You would be mistaken. United Farm Workers invite Americans to 'Take Our Jobs' - Jul. 7, 2010

    Again, these are back-breaking jobs that pay minimum wage and offer no benefits. Farmers can't simply double or triple wages without raising prices substantially, and if they do that they will lose out to cheaper imported goods.
    Last edited by AdamT; 09-29-11 at 12:13 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •