Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 91

Thread: Drug testing surprise

  1. #71
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Good points.

    There is no simplistic solution to welfare, or illegal immigration, or any other problem we face, at least not one that works. It is pretty obvious that the purpose of drug testing welfare recipients was to score political points. Now, it appears that their game has backfired. But, what are they going to do with recipients who test positive? cut off their benefits? Then what, is that going to make them productive citizens? Do we put their kids in foster care? Open up orphanages? What?

    And, if we insist that able bodied people work, where are they going to work? Even people with job skills are having a difficult time of it just now.

    It's easy to make a moral judgement and say, "Those people need to quit doing drugs and work for a living". Bringing that about is a lot more difficult.
    Exactly!! Putting people on the streets will create even more crime as well. I see no real answer for it, either. I've heard O'Reilly say put the welfare recipients to work. Doing what? They'd want at least minimum wage for their efforts and probably unionize, so what would that accomplish? Training programs also cost money. We are broke. Nobody seems to get that.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    Exactly!! Putting people on the streets will create even more crime as well. I see no real answer for it, either. I've heard O'Reilly say put the welfare recipients to work. Doing what? They'd want at least minimum wage for their efforts and probably unionize, so what would that accomplish? Training programs also cost money. We are broke. Nobody seems to get that.
    "We are broke". That phrase should appear at the bottom of the screen during every debate and every campaign commercial. It should be added to the oath of office. It needs to be placed prominently on the capitol building. Maybe then someone would get it.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #73
    Student Smokified's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-11 @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    166

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    In both cases it is taxpayer's money being spent. As I understand it that was the rationalization for the drug testing -- not to punish or humiliate people who are down on their luck.

    Of course there is no basis for your assumption that the typical welfare recipient is a capable person who simply *refuses* to work, just as there was no basis to think that many welfare applicants were on drugs. As we've seen, the evidence suggests that welfare applicants are LESS likely to test positive than the average Joe.
    Who said anything about humiliating people that are down on their luck? The last thing people who are down on their luck need is a drug habit. It is pretty obvious that drug testing people to make sure they are eligible to receive public money as their source of income and humiliating people that are down on their luck are 2 different things. 1 is reality and one is a silly excuse.

  4. #74
    Student Smokified's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-11 @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    166

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Are you seriously trying to insinuate that if someone receives some of their tax dollars back when they hit hard times via a welfare check then that necessarily means that they are spending your tax dollars on drugs if they test positive for drugs because someone passed them a joint at a party?

    You authoritarian radicals types make no sense whatsoever. You need to learn how to mind your own business.
    What makes no sense is how you just make things up and then try and form an opinion on it as though it were true. Why is it so hard for you to separate the people that need a bit of help due to hard times and the people that are abusing the system? It is pretty simple.... if you are down on your luck and receiving public money, don't use drugs.... I don't give 2 ****s if you want to buy it with money you earn.

    Also, where do you think tax dollars go? "...Receives some of their tax dollars back.."? You think that having roads to drive on, emergency services, schools... etc just fall out of the sky? That is what you get back for your tax dollars. Right now I see more people ending up on entitlement programs while the roads I drive on are getting worse and worse. Weeding out the people abusing the benefits will allow our tax money to be properly spent on those that legitimately need help while still paying for the services my tax money was meant for.

    It is my business when you are paying for it with my money....
    Last edited by Smokified; 09-29-11 at 04:29 PM.

  5. #75
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokified View Post
    It is my business when you are paying for it with my money....
    Ok, so are you also calling for random tests for alcohol use? Tobacco? Pepsi? Twinkies? Why single out illicit drugs when there are thousands of other things these people shouldn't be buying with your taxpayer dollars?

  6. #76
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokified View Post
    Who said anything about humiliating people that are down on their luck? The last thing people who are down on their luck need is a drug habit. It is pretty obvious that drug testing people to make sure they are eligible to receive public money as their source of income and humiliating people that are down on their luck are 2 different things. 1 is reality and one is a silly excuse.
    And again, as we've seen, few of these people have drugs in their systems. But they're all forced to piss in a cup for no reason. Perhaps we should make them hop on one foot and recite nursery rhymes instead. Would be cheaper and just as effective.

  7. #77
    Student Smokified's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-11 @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    166

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Ok, so are you also calling for random tests for alcohol use? Tobacco? Pepsi? Twinkies? Why single out illicit drugs when there are thousands of other things these people shouldn't be buying with your taxpayer dollars?
    They can regulate the purchases of legal products through restrictions on EBT cards if it ever came to that. Illicit drugs should be singled out because they are illegal, can't be regulated otherwise, and they will generally not aid in motivating people to work harder to better their situations so they can be off of public funding and on their own. Our tax money is not intended to fund crime.

  8. #78
    Student Smokified's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-11 @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    166

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And again, as we've seen, few of these people have drugs in their systems. But they're all forced to piss in a cup for no reason. Perhaps we should make them hop on one foot and recite nursery rhymes instead. Would be cheaper and just as effective.
    No they are not forced to piss in a cup for "no reason". They are forced to prove that they are not using drugs as a requirement to live off of public money. When you look at it through your completely false and distorted view of things, it does sound stupid, but when you apply it to the actual reality of the situation it makes sense.

    Now that we have covered the reasoning behind drug testing welfare recipients for the 300th time, feel free to explain how you feel jumping around and acting like a fool is going to solve anything.

  9. #79
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokified View Post
    No they are not forced to piss in a cup for "no reason". They are forced to prove that they are not using drugs as a requirement to live off of public money. When you look at it through your completely false and distorted view of things, it does sound stupid, but when you apply it to the actual reality of the situation it makes sense.

    Now that we have covered the reasoning behind drug testing welfare recipients for the 300th time, feel free to explain how you feel jumping around and acting like a fool is going to solve anything.
    The point is that, like piss testing, it isn't going to solve anything ... but at least it doesn't cost a dime and it would have the salutary effect of making conservatives feel better, as they seem to enjoy denigrating and humiliating the less fortunate.

  10. #80
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Drug testing surprise

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Does this include subsidies and tax write offs?
    Tax write offs aren't, "benefits".
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •