Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 140

Thread: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

  1. #71
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by mtlhdtodd View Post
    Then you would prefer to be a victim.
    That makes no sense and isn't something you got from my post.
    ALL the gun owners I know (ALL law abiding) practice regularly and maintain their weapon and know how to use it. Most if not all criminals never practice and barley know enough to pull the trigger let alone do any maintenance and get all their knowledge from their equally ignorant friends.
    Wow, you have no idea do you? You don't think criminals like guns as well? Like them enough to know how to take care of a gun? Seriously? If you're betting on that, you're betting on a longshot (pun intended).

    If that was me and my home first pound on the door they would have been warned, first foot through the door the first shots get fired and not stopped until the threat is gone. Because in a mob like the one described I would consider it a life or death situation and act accordingly.
    Your entire senario depends on the criminals being unarmed or unable to retaliate. If you want to have a society were guns are commonplace, you have to start expecting that everyone would be just as fully armed as yourself. You will NOT have the advantage here. A mob of that size, armed and prepared to use it will simply shoot first and ask questions later. Much like you claim you would do.
    It's not as you say being an internet tough guy, it's just simple statement of fact. I prefer to stand my ground and fight, and not whimper in a corner hoping for the benevolence of the mob. If you do good luck with that.
    Again, your bravado depends on your attackers NOT having the superior force at their disposal. That thinking is terribly flawed. So if you're only brave if you're the strong of the 2 forces, I'd call you a coward.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  2. #72
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    The notion that you attribute the carrying of firearms with wanting to appear strong sickens me. Do people who carry optional fire, flood, or theft insurance sicken you to?
    Nice twisting there. Fire, flood and theft insurance doesn't require you to kill someone. Prattling on about what you would do if that were you is just fantasy and empty bravado.

    Insurance is a fear based industry. That's a fact.
    Shame on people for preparing for and attempting to mitigate as many harmful situations as possible! Those dirty cowards!
    Trying to tie carrying a firearm to having insurance is a rather weak comparison to me.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  3. #73
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Nice twisting there. Fire, flood and theft insurance doesn't require you to kill someone. Prattling on about what you would do if that were you is just fantasy and empty bravado.

    Insurance is a fear based industry. That's a fact.

    Trying to tie carrying a firearm to having insurance is a rather weak comparison to me.
    Ah yes! Fantasy and false bravado abounds. Guns Save Lives - Stories of Self Defense

    ... and you know, it's funny.. I can't find the word "fear" anywhere in Webster's definition of insurance.

    Your deeply hoplophobic trolling needs work.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  4. #74
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    what we know is that no one was shot during that homeowner assault by a mob

    what are the chances that would be true had the homeowner decided to use a weapon against the intruders



    and kudos to the brave fellow for protecting the two teens ... who may have provoked an incident beyond proportion to their own misdeeds
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #75
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Ah yes! Fantasy and false bravado abounds. Guns Save Lives - Stories of Self Defense

    ... and you know, it's funny.. I can't find the word "fear" anywhere in Webster's definition of insurance.

    Your deeply hoplophobic trolling needs work.

    He said that insurance was "a fear based industry." You looking up the definition shows that you either a) purposefully didn't comprehend what he said or b) were unable to comprehend what he said. What does his opinion that insurance is "a fear based industry" have to do with the definition? One would have to look at the insurance industry itself and how it operates, not a dictionary.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  6. #76
    User Anonymous1776's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-28-11 @ 07:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    None of this has anything to do with anything I've said.
    You asked 'why is it so hard for people to admit that a gun can make a situation worse?' And, I showed you how your assumption was wrong:

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous1776 View Post
    You can also die from an overdose of water. I'm not saying guns make people magically infallible. I'm saying they save lives more often than not in life threatening situations. And, that government doesn't have a right to make that determination for individuals. It is the individual at risk, not the government.
    In other words, since everything has the potential to 'make a situation worse,' it is an invalid argument to use against guns.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous1776 View Post
    You asked 'why is it so hard for people to admit that a gun can make a situation worse?' And, I showed you how your assumption was wrong:

    In other words, since everything has the potential to 'make a situation worse,' it is an invalid argument to use against guns.
    And I'm not arguing against guns. That's the ****ing point. I pointed out that guns can make a situation worse or better and people threw a hissy fit.

  8. #78
    User Anonymous1776's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-28-11 @ 07:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Insurance is a fear based industry. That's a fact.
    Wrong. Insurance is a risk based industry. Apparently, risk and fear are synonymous to you.
    When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

  9. #79
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm not saying it's new, but it being common place does not mean it's "normal". That kind of reactionary behavior is being bred within these groups. Instead of shrugging and saying, "it happens all the time," perhaps we should be addressing the why.

    I used to work in an area of Dallas referred to as "Red Bird". It's southern Dallas, just southwest of one of the scariest areas of the city, and it is largely populated by african americans. I would drive an extra 10 miles out of my way at lunch if I wanted to sit down somewhere to eat because I would often get stared at and jeered at by the area residents at the stores and restaurants near the office. I had one guy tell me to turn around and get back in my car because, "we don't want no white bitches in here". I once asked the cashier at an area store how her day was and the response I received was "white bitch, what would YOU know about my life?"

    So I'm well aware that the hostility exists. But I'm not so sure we have to simply accept it because it exists.
    This sounds like the area my brother, one of his Army friends, and I were in when we were in Dallas looking for a hotel after going to Six Flaggs for the day. My brother was practically led out of the BK in the area before he was even able to ask for anything. And this was before he decided to dress like a woman in public.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #80
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Chased home: Mob attacks man in his house

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    He said that insurance was "a fear based industry." You looking up the definition shows that you either a) purposefully didn't comprehend what he said or b) were unable to comprehend what he said. What does his opinion that insurance is "a fear based industry" have to do with the definition? One would have to look at the insurance industry itself and how it operates, not a dictionary.
    His comment was intentionally obtuse, so my answer was appropriately flippant. Insurance is not based on fear, but rather on risk assessment. This applies whether you're carrying fire insurance in case your house burns down or carrying a gun in case trouble decides to find you. While Tettsou presumes to know the mind of every legal gun owner, I can assure you that an individuals reasoning for taking their personal protection into their own hands is as varied as the people themselves. His assertion that anyone carrying a gun is a coward is trolling, at best.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •